Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Feeling so low :(

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by cocoa, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    :( Hey everyone

it has been a few days now that i was not able to go out because of my hair. The idea of having to brush them and make a do depresses me. I still don't know why I'm loosing my hair like this. I think it Androgenetic Alopecia, since my mom is loosing hair too. But my mother's started much later (i'm 28). My dad is loosing her too, but same thing I think it started later too. I feel like I'm balding like a male and being a 28 years old woman, it is very difficult. I think my hair loss is very severe for my age, what do you think? Also my mom's loss is very diffuse, while mine is mostly on one spot (even though i've also thinned all over). I've been seeing an endo for a few month now. We have done blood test, everything came back normal. He just said my oestrogens were a little low, but he still put me on androcur (anti androgen) and oestrogens in gel, because in Androgenetic Alopecia hair follicles are over sensitive to androgens even if you don't have too much of them. So lowering them could maybe help he thought. But I haven't seen any improvement, except for the fact that my hair does not grease so much. However the loss seems to continue and the spots grow. I'm crying as I'm writing this. I know it is kind of stupid because there are worse problems than that, but i just can't accept it. My parents loss started so much later than that, I just feel like it is unfair. Besides not other female on the family are loosing their hair. They all have shocking thick hair, i just can't cope with it :sad: what's even cruel is that I hoped so much from this treatment, and once again I have to be the unlucky one, on who it does not work.

I've attached pictures of my hair loss, maybe you can tell me if your pattern looks the same and if something worked for you. 1 or 2 pictures are taken under a light so it looks probably worse than it really is, or so I'd like to think:unsure: And I had just put some rogain lotion so it may look a little greasy sorry.

I'm sorry for being in such low spirits, but right now I just can't help it, please cheer me up :(

Lots of Love.

Attached Files:

2. JustMeS

JustMeS Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi cocoa! I really don't know what to say to cheer you up other than you are not alone. At 20 I got Androgenetic Alopecia now had it 2 years and my hair is already painfully thin, diffusely all over, but worst on the temples. Treatments have not worked for me wither. However, hair loss treatments take time and "a few months" like you say is not that much. You need to be on treatment for at least a year to determine it's effectiveness. But there are no guarantees of it working, I have been on treatment more than a year and it did not work for me. But hang in there, don't quit until you know for sure!

3. nimk

nimk Member

Dislikes Received:
    I tried Rogaine, and i completely did not like it at all. Made my skin break out into a huge rash, and i ended up developing some lines under my eyes. You're not alone when you say that treatment hasn't worked for you, all it means is that you just need to keep trying for something else :) If its a vitamin deficiency, then you must give around 6 months to see any kind of improvements in shedding and up to a year for regrowth. If your blood tests are showing low numbers for something such as ferritin, then it would be wise to get the levels up as it can only help your hair loss rather than worsen it.

Best of luck in fighting against your hair loss, don't forget that you're not alone! xx

4. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Cocoa, I am so sorry for your hair loss. I know how devastating it is. But please don't lose hope. <3 Have you had a scalp test done? You're looks much more serious then Androgenetic Alopecia. But if your parents have very thin hair, it is really just genetic. My dad has thick hair and still has most of his and he is 60. My mom has always had very thin hair and now its VERY thin with many bald areas and she is 60. I always had VERY thick hair... I always knew that it would gradually get thinner as I got older but I was not expecting to lose over 60% in 1-2 years... And it started when I was 24, now I am 27.

Everyone's triggers/the causes are different. I think that my Androgenetic Alopecia was triggered by the SSRI's/Accutane I took when I was in my late teens/early 20's... ;( Specifically, the Accutane. Because that's when the hair loss started, and it never stopped even when I stopped the drug.

Have you ever taken any drugs/prescriptions for anything? I think that many drugs can be very harmful/toxic for our bodies/hair. :(

Good luck, please get a scalp test done, because they will be able to tell you if it is Androgenetic Alopecia or not which will help you make the decision if you should try Rogaine or not. I have been using Rogaine for about a month and am noticing a lot of re-growth (crosses fingers)... I hope it stays this way. :unsure: You will never know until you try!

<3

5. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey JustmeS thank you so much for your answer. It really helps to be able to discuss with people who understand what you are going through. Because the people around me even though i love them they are very dismissive. So thank you. I have been on this treatment for 6 months now. I Also pack of Vit D and iron but even with supplements my levels do not rise much. I have talked to a gyn online, and she thinks my œstrogens are the problem. She thinks i need oral œstrogens instead of the cream that i ma applying. So that's what ill ask my endo next time. I'm mad he did not give it to me first thing, because when he looked at my tests he too mentionned that my œstrogens were low, but did not do anything about it. I'm mad I've lost another 6 months of hair loss. it started in my twenties and i did not do anything until march this year :((.the gyn says the oestrogen gel is not enough since I'm already oestrogen déficient. I hope this Will work this time, or I'll have to start looking for wigs. And i Also hope my defficiency Will not prévent me from having kids!

What treatments have you tried? I praying you Will find one too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you nimk. i did not Like rogain either but when i saw my scalp a few days ago, i got back on it réal quick! 2 Times a day like they say. I can Still hide it in ponytails or fake buns for now. So that's what I'll do for now. I can't let them down any more :((. Like most of you, i've always had very thick hair, my family is middle eastern, so you can picture the thick black kind of hair. I'm so depresses but thank you for suggesting new things to try! My hair loss is really a couple of things: estrogen, iron vitD and of course genetics. I just thought this Would hit me later in Life. But well. Thank you again for your support.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi mrvitous26, and thank you for your answer.

We all have thick hair in the family. But my dad started balding in his mid 30's and my mom after her last pregnancy around her 40's (but she Also has thyroid problems, she had it removed), has low iron and low vit D, and is now in menopause. That explains why her hair is very thin today, but it has been awfully thick by the past. Her ponytail is now the size of a pinkie and she has a few bald spots hère and there. We are followed by the same endo, but he wants to send her to a derm now. He gave me androcur and an oestrogen gel. We Also found that I'm low on oestrogen and vit D. And as far as i remember, i've Always been low on iron. Even with suppléments. So my plan now is to ask for higher dosés of ostrogen. I've took pills by the past so this should not be a problem. My trigger was a pill too, which was more androgenic than oestrogenic and that was fatal to my hair. I wish i could sue the gyn who gavé it to me. That with the iron , vit D and oestrogen defficiency and I'm balding like a grandfather as a 28yrs old female. I'm glad you say it looks serious. Most people around me say I'm exagerrating. Probably because i hide it so well. I just can't let the hair down and show the spots. I'd be more confortable with a short hair cut but I'm pretty sûre my boyfriend won't like it so much. Besides the spots Would be more difficult to hide. Hé 's pretty much supportive but he Never saw my hair the WAY I've shown it to you. It Would be such a love killer. But he usually jokes that i should get some africain weaves when i start whining about my hear too much! :)

I haven't done a scalp test yet. It is very difficult to get one in France, i ll try to get one from a private clinic which means Ill have to prepare my purse. I'm tired of spending so much on my head. Can't my hear be just healthy on its own? POR FAVOR! LOL. I used rogain before, my bald spots did not regrow, but over all my hair looked a little thicker.

6. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can rogain provoque scalp pain? I'm having a small but disturbing pain at my balding spot since a few days ( when i started applying it ). It is as if someone had hit me there. Or maybe I'm massaging to hard? lol

7. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Update: My endo changed the oestrogen gel to oestrogen patches in my prescription with androcur. I read on a famous French Blog held by a gyn that my oestrogen was to low for my body to function normally, and play the hair protector role. The blog gyn recommended me to take ethinyl estradiol 25mg with androcur daily, but the endo refused, saying that I would put on weight and that it would be bad for the liver (but so far, i don't have any liver problems). I know there also are more cardio vascular and breast cancer risks when you take oestrogen orally (which probably the REAL reason why he refused to give me the prescription) but that is just like any other oestrogen pill (like diane or jasmine), and I've took these without any (known) harm in the past.

He also gave me (expensive) vitamins: biotin and B3 I think. He says my vitamin D has increased which means it is not the reason why my hair is falling (because it is still falling). He wants to check my iron for the next appointment. I've always been low on iron, low but "normal" (between 30 and 60) even with supplements. So now i'm just hoping these patches will do good. The web gyn says the patches are stronger than the gel, so i should give them a try for 2 months at least, and see if the shedding reduces.

And as if that was not enough, i'm having insomnia since the very night i took those pictures of my scalp. It is as if I eventually realized how bad it actually looks. I'm a teacher and I have to stand in front of scrutinizing pupils so I never feel like letting my hair down, because I'm afraid of the moment when I'll have to turn and write and the board and all their eyes will actually focus on this patch on my scalp. And then I'll just be the young balding female teacher. I'm self conscious about letting the hair down in front of my BF too, and we've been together for almost 2 years.

I have been taking androcur for 8 months now, and there is no real improvement, apart from the fact that my hair is not as oily as it was. It is rather dry actually. It still sheds a lot. It breaks alot to, so I'm having a hard time differenciating hair breakage from hair loss. But there has been a loss in the hair density for sure. It really looks like I'm balding just like my father, but all my male hormones are normal. Any body experienced loss similar to male pattern baldness with normal lab ranges hormones? Have you got clues? I feel like trying avodart, but since I'd like to have children in the future, no one is probably ever giving it to me.

I've bought hair powder too, but I haven't used it yet, but I'll let you know if it works for me.

Do you have any ideas on the type of hair loss that I could have? Androgenetic Alopecia? My hair feels thin all over my hair. There is a change in the thickness, texture, density for the worse.Do you think it can be traction alopecia? I wear my hair in tight ponytails and buns all the time, to hide the spots. I suspect a thyroid problem (my mother is hypo, she has levythyrox, but her hair never improved) because I feel tired, cold and my hair is just not what it used to be, but again my lab ranges are normal. I however did not get tested for T3.

8. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So a month after i started to use oestrogens in patches, i can say that the hair fall has decreased. They dońt fall as much after the shower when i brush them, the fall decreased by two thirds approximately. I'm happy, but I'm not there yet. My balding Crown still shows no signs of regrowth and i had to stop androcur because it gave me insomnia. So during my next appointment, i'll ask for another anti androgen. I Will Also ask for a deep testing of my thyroid levels because i have several symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, always cold, Weight gain). Last time he only tested 2 of the typical levels that are tested, and of course they were normal. I'm so determined to reverse this. I'm Also taking iron, biotin and bepathene. I'm going to add biosil, it seems to be efficient in the reviews. And i need to buy rogain, i went out of it a few weeks ago, but it is so expensive here :(.

9. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds positive! You probably need to get your thyroid antibodies checked also.

10. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Posting an up date: so almost 2 years after i went to the endo and tried various treatments, he eventually decided to do expensive non refundable (insurance) testing. He has not seen them yet, but from what I understood my hair loss might be due to my adrenal. Either fatigue or non classical adrenal hyperplasia. All my labs are normal except some male hormones which are elevated. I ll let you Know for sûre next week.

11. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for posting an update. It's great that your Endo may finally be getting to the bottom of all of this! I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your next update!

12. Megan M

Megan M Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Cocoa please keep us updated on your progress. I am considering using estrogen patches for my hair loss.
    What treatment are you currently using? Are you still on the patches and are they continuing to decrease your hair loss? Are you also taking a birth control pill?

Thanks!

13. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Noalani, and megan, i went off all treatments a few months ago in order to do those tests, so my hair loss in worse than ever. It looks like male hair loss, i have a roundish small bald spot at the back if my head and it looks like it is extending. It is the exact same place as my father's. My mother Also is balding, but she has got hypothyroid, and she got her thyroid removed. She Also around 50. When I am almost 30 lol.

Oestrogen patches worked for me but I was not very keen on using them cause they made me put on weight. It was Also coupled with androcur and it killed my sex drive, and since I am not single... lol my BF was very understanding and even suggested i should go back on the treatment but i don't want to impose that on him as Well! lol

Dexamethasone Also showed some signs of improvement (decreased shedding). It is a hydrocorticoid I think. In any hair loss within a female that looks like Androgenetic Alopecia i think endo should look into either PCOS or an adrenal problem. He did a lot of Lab tests on me, I'm glad i found him! lol the only drawback is that he gives médecine very easily, when they give a lot secondary effects. He threw androcur in very easily, but was not so keen on giving me oestrogens! But i Read despite being good for the hair, oestrogens are dangerous for the rest of your body...

But don't worry, they are pretty safe in patches or gel, but less efficient. Very efficient in pill form, but Also quite dangerous.

14. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay!!

So my labs for the adrenals were actually "Kind of normal" (my endo's words lol) although some of the values are on the high end of normal, showing I have a slight adrenal related hormonal imbalance. That coupled with other signs (positional vertigo , low tension) made think i should try a fludocorticoid at a low dose to start with.

My tension lowered the past few years and my adrenals are producing to much if some hormones ( inclu ding male ones) to help compensate. This might be the reason why I loose my hair ( in sensitive to male hormones Areas: vertex, gulfs and top). Only the treatment Will tell.

Will post any improvement if I see some.

It is weird but i wonder if it is not PCOS instead. My periods are irregular too, and I have had bouts of acné lately. Oh Well, we Will see. I might see a gyn as Well, just to make sûre!

15. Megan M

Megan M Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Cocoa-
    Could you please tell me what estrogen patches you were using and what dosage.
    Thanks

16. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update cocoa. I seem to have male pattern type of hair loss as well. Do you have a thinning hair line? And what other medicines are you on aside from fludrocortisone? I'm currently on Spironolactone and diane 35 but so far no improvement

17. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Megan, i think I was using oesclim patches in 50mg but not sure. Stopped more than 6 months ago. I ll try to see if i can find a box. I live in France, don't Know if you have the same brands over there. But I guess they are substancially the same thing.

Hi Noodlehead,

Well have you seen an endo? I did not respond to androcur (the molécule in Diane), i responded more to the oestrogen that came with it. But Diane has a lot of oestrogens, weird that it is not improving. How long have you been taking it?

I am only on fludrocortisone for now. But it is too soon to tell if it is working. I have a receding hairline and gulfs, and a small bald patch towards the vertex, as Well as overall thinning. Stuff that decreased my shed were: oestrogens, spirulina, vit D and Vit B complex. It Also made my hair look better and stronger. But the thinning areas don't fill up. Dunno if they ever Will.

The last possible reason for my hair loss could be an adrenal disfunction, either fatigue or non classical adrenal hyperplasia, but it is mild as my labs showed.

The endo said my hair may or may not improve. But it Will solve other things (like my low tension and vertigos). I Will have tried everything. If this does not work, i Will get a topper. I might even get one just for fun to be able to do a lot more do's and feel like a star. lol

Get an endo to look at your adrenals. Fatigue is very common but difficult to diagnose. If diane is not working, it is either because your loss is not ovarian related or because your hormonal imbalance is not solved on that dosage: you may wanna try androcur and a smaller dosage of oestrogens, or no oestrogens if you are oestrogen dominant ( which can cause hair loss too). Be aware that you may have an increase in shedding during a few months from stopping Diane.

18. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi cocoa, I've been on Diane since July. I've never been a heavy shedder, I just don't seem to get healthy regrowth. The new hair that comes in is pretty thin and short :/I've been to more than one endo and they don't seem to be worried about my blood tests. One of them was able to acknowledge that my testosterone is is just a bit higher than normal, but then she said it didn't matter because it wasn't that high. I told her I had hirsutism plus hair loss so then she gave me Spironolactone to go with the Diane. I also have polycystic ovaries which is one of the classical signs of PCOS. The doctor said diane is the best for most girls with this condition because it's also an antiandrogens. I'm thinking that I probably need more Spironolactone? I guess I'm just worried about it not working and making my hair worse

19. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh ! It is too soon to tell! You need to 3 to 6 month, or even one year to see improvements. My temples filled in very slowly when I used a combination which is similar to diane 35. But nothing happened to my vertex infortunately!