Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Female pattern hairloss....your scalp

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Stonefox, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Stonefox

Stonefox Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys just wondering those with female pattern hairloss, what is your scalp like? Does it look like a Normal scalp? Is it itchy or shiny at all? Any abnormalities?

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Scalp normal, just missing hair follicles!

3. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey stonefox! I'm pretty sure I have FPHL (and had a biopsy that confirmed it to) but in addition to my own experience, from everything I've read, a traditional FPHL scalp if no other hair loss issues are present looks completely normal (besides, as Lily pointed out, the fact it is missing hair :)). Itchiness or any abnormal symptoms regarding the appearance or feel of the scalp typical indicate something else going on, besides FPHL.

4. Stonefox

Stonefox Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Both me and my mother seem to have the same scalp issues along with hairloss. Our hairloss is the same pattern/ same areas. Looking at Google looks exactly like female hairloss. Shiny scalp. Except I have itchy scalp too. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? It's driving me insane.

5. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    The itchiness could be seborrheic dermatitis (SD). You might find relief by using ketaconazole shampoo (depending where you live you'll probably need to get a prescription for it, but any walk-in clinic should be able to write you one). Some people have had success treating their SD with an OTC anti-dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders.

Here's the wiki article on SD. With more mild cases you typically see itchiness, inflammation, and/or scalp pinkness.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

6. Stonefox

Stonefox Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've used shampoos (still do) nizoral, t-gel, head and shoulders, also steroids for a while but nothing helps. My scalp looks scared almost but different to google searching. My doctor doesn't seem to think any things wrong.

7. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Ughhh. I'm so sorry! Hopefully someone smarter than me might have an idea of what it could be. How frustrating it is when a doctor tells you (or acts like) nothing's wrong when you obviously have symptoms that you shouldn't??