Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

ferritin level

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by nitu1, Feb 19, 2016.

1. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Everyone,
    At my last bloodwork my ferritin was at 42...is that considered ok? I have had hair loss since 22 and now i am 40. I had super thick hair so eventhough i lost a lot of hair, it wasnt soo noticeable. I worried about it getting thin but to my knowledge it never did seem to look thinned out. In 2012, i was also diagnosed with underactive thyroid. Not sure if that combination or what but now i notice my hair has thinned out a lot.....i find its very thin now. Anyway, i have been trying to increase my iron intake so wondering if 42 is ok or if i should try to get it even higher and what you recommend to eat to get the iron higher.
    Thanks

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hypothyroid and low ferritin are often linked, so getting and keeping your thyroid stable helps with ferritin. As for how high your ferritin is, most experts recommend a level of between 70-100 for optimal health. Your Dr. should guide you about using a supplement, but taking a low dose of iron daily is a good idea if you are still getting your period. You should continue to monitor your iron and ferritin levels with blood work when you have your thyroid levels checked. As for iron rich foods, you can google a list of them, there are a ton and a lot of them aren't all that appetizing to a lot of people. I rely on supplements to keep my ferritin within range. I take Source Naturals Advanced Ferrochel I buy it on Amazon.

3. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    my derm is saying I need to go to 100!! It is a long road, but worth to try. I always had, and still have, very heavy periods, that really does not help in keeping ferritin levels healthy.

4. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is different for everyone fleur1979, I had infusions and the highest I got was 90 and my body just doesn't want to stay that high, but my hair has recovered and keeps recovering. I just keep supplementing and keep an eye on my levels. My body seems to want to keep my ferritin around 60 for some reason. I don't care as long as my hair keeps recovering. I was low ferritin for at least 5 years and my hair was insanely thick, it didn't shed until I started taking iron! So frustrating.

5. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I think the levels are different for everyone. Great to hear you are still improving!! I won't get a bloodtest earlier than May (my derm is saying), but it was around 75 in May. I am only taking one a day now, because my other iron levels were getting very high (instead of the 3 prescribed). Hope it won't drop.

6. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fleur, how is your regrowth now that your ferritin level has been in a good range for awhile? I remember several months ago, you mentioned it was thin and yellow.

7. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, my regrowth is actually looking good. Thick and brown... it just falls out too fast, not able to grow long hair anymore. My long hair is more yellow and thin, not my regrowth. I have to say that I have good days with less shedding, which is really good compared to years of having no good days, just always shedding.
    I am afraid to say this out loud though, everytime I think it is getting better, it goes bad again. I have typical CTE according to the derm which can last 2 years, 10 years, or even forever. So, I am just more focussing now on trying to live with the hair I have now. (some days I am even happy with how it looks now... ofcourse it is not what it used to be, but I try not to focus on what I had, but more on what I have). Ofcourse, if it starts shedding again like crazy, I am probably going more in my 'sad-modus' again, but for now, I am doing reasonable oke :)

8. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Fleur,

That's great your regrowth is thick and brown and you're shedding less. :) I know what you mean about it falling out too fast. Some of mine grows long, but I think most of it falls out after about 1.5 to 6 inches. What worries me is the miniaturized regrowth, which I hope is from my fast, short cycles. I started shedding less hair over the past few weeks (about 150-200 on wash days, with the odd 300+) which I am happy about, but I'm afraid of what next month may bring since I had the worst shedding in March of 2014 and 2015. I feel exactly the same about trying to live with the hair I have now but if my shedding were to increase to over 400 hairs every other day for months on end, then I know I won't be happy with the state of my hair. I think my ferritin should be around 60, but it could be falling since I've cut back on my iron dosage for about two weeks. I hope I'll get to around 80 one day. LOL I hope your shedding days continue to improve and your regrowth sticks around a bit longer. :)

9. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    So good to hear you are doing better also. Because it is going on for sooo long it is hard to think optimistic sometimes.. I Always believe it can go wrong every day again... just to not keep my hope up and then have it start all over again. I soo agree with you that on days the shedding is okay, you also feel good, but when it starts again it is hard to keep optimistic... Just live by the day, I try this now...

I have no idea if I can keep my ferritin up... I get retested in May,but only take 1 tablet a day these days... Just hope it will not drop too much.

I also started with a glass of orange juice a day (every day for 7 months now), and a big glass of vegetable juice (which I juice myself in a slowjuicer). Maybe that also helps my hair a bit since I am not a big (veggie) eater.

Some of my regrowths is thin also, but I see it getting thicker when it gets longer... Still it only grows 1.5 to 5 inches before it falls out, but who knows what the future brings.... :) :)

10. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    When my hair started shedding in 2010 and stopped after six months, I was still worried that I would start shedding again, which in fact did happen five months later. However, I never thought I'd be shedding from 2011 until 2016! I don't get my hopes up either because everytime I've gone through a week or two up until a few months of less shedding, it has always picked up again. I've come to realize that losing 200-300 hairs is my new normal whereas it used to be 40-50 hairs. I know I will never get my thick hair back and I don't mind as long as my hair density remains similar to how it is now. I still keep my hair up in a clip as I'm not comfortable having my hair down and seeing hairs falling from my head, but if my shedding slows down a bit longer, then I think I'll feel more comfortable having it down.

I hope your ferritin is still at a good level for your hair. I wonder if I am shedding less due to a higher ferritin or if my follicles are just taking a break due to 16 months of constant, heavy shedding. I'm going to get my ferritin checked in April or May. Juicing might be helping your hair. I'd like to buy a juicer someday. :)

Some of my regrowth becomes thicker as it gets longer too. I've noticed it on hairs sticking up along my part and hairs that I've shed. In regards to the shed hairs that started off thin and become thicker, I'll hold the strand of hair up to make sure the bulb side is the thicker side. :)

11. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kelly and Fleur - your updates here put a huge smile on my face. So, so happy you're both seeing some shed relief!! Hope you both continue to see improvement from here.

12. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Eliza, how are you doing?

13. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, Eliza. I was just thinking about you last week. I hope you're doing well. :)

14. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Eliza! We haven't heard from you in so long!! How are you? How is your hair??

15. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

I know!! I'm sorry for going MIA. All is well with me (my hair is doing OK too). I had to take a break from the site for a bit because I had just become soo obsessed with monitoring my hair's progress. It was taking over my life!

My hair looks....same old. I was optimistic it was improving in Dec-Jan, but at the beginning of Feb my shed picked up and the old anxiety has returned. Worries that my part in the front has become a lot thinner - its hard to tell. I will attach some pics to get your thoughts. 2.5 weeks ago I got some subtle highlights (I've been a dark natural blonde my whole life, and this was the longest I'd ever gone without getting any color). I know they aren't great for hair, but I admit it helped me feel a little bit like my old self again.