Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Fibroids???

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by polly, Jun 25, 2011.

1. polly

polly Guest

I had an ultrasound last week and have been diagnosed (finally) with having fibroids on my ovary. Could this have something to do with my hairloss? I had TE originally (from an operation) but it's definately Androgenetic Alopecia now. I'm thinking if PCOS causes this, wouldn't fibroids also? If anyone has any info or experience with this; i'd be very grateful to hear from you.

2. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am not positive but aren't fibroids usually found on the uterus? Cysts and tumours are usually on the ovaries.

3. polly

polly Guest

No. It's on my ovary. Unless my doctor is wrong. Slightly confrontational, but okay. I'll try elsewhere.....

4. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I didn't know fibroids could be on your ovary now I do. I had to have surgery for mine are you getting them removed too? Yeah, some doctors aren't the best in manner but maybe he can refer you to someone else.

5. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    Polly I see you didn't get any replies. I am pretty sure some of the other ladies might be able to advise you better than me.

6. rayna

rayna Guest

Hi Polly - While I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, I've had ongoing issues with fibroids. In my opinion, they are a contributing factor in my hair loss.

I never had any gynecological or hair loss problems until trying a low dose BC 8 years ago. Over the course of being on it a year I realized my hair was falling out. I stopped and a couple months later I was diagnosed with fibroids that I eventually had to have an abdominal myomectomy for. All during this time my hair kept falling, especially post surgery. I lost about 40% of my hair.

After removing all of the fibroids, my hair loss leveled out for a few years. I was still losing, but nothing like before.

Flash forward to the last year and my hair is having a horrible shed equivalent to when it first started - the kicker is that the fibroids are back in full swing. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Sorry for the long reply, but bottom line, in my case anyway, I believe the high androgen pill threw my hormones out of whack and they never went back to what they were supposed to be. Fibroids are caused by excess estrogen which happens when there is not a balance between the estrogen and progesterone in your system ( doesn't necessarily mean you have an overload of estrogen, but just not the right amount in proportion to progesterone.

Wish I could say there was help - but nada. I just feel like once your hormones are set in a tailspin for whatever reason, were pretty much screwed.

Best of luck - Rayna

7. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rayna,

I have a question for you,

You said that you may have a hormone issue since getting off the pill. If the pill did throw your hormones off balance, are your cycle regular?? Do you have a 26-28 day cycle normally?? Because if you do, doesn't that mean that all hormones are working accordingly?

Din

8. rayna

rayna Guest

Din - I do have a normal cycle, although I had a normal cycle before and no hair loss or other issues. Since everything corresponded with the pill, I have to assume the high androgen content of it messed with me or perhaps I'm one of those testosterone sensitive people or something.

After this long of a time I'm low on hope I'm afraid. I have last ditch appt. With a new endo this week so who knows!

9. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rayna,

When your hair was stable for a few years, did the hair you list grow back?? If so, how much did you regain?? And how much were You losing daily?
    Din

10. rayna

rayna Guest

Din

No, the hair I lost never grew back. Before the fibroid surgery I was losing 300 strands a day. About 6 mos after, the fall started to decrease, eventually leveling at around 50-100 a day for about 2-3 years. Then, over the last year and a half, the shed picked up rapidly and I've been losing 200-300 a day for a solid 14 months.

The thing is, during these last 14 months ( and really throughout the whole time the hair loss has been happening) my scalp is always sore and feels like it's sunburned on and off. Within the last year, I started getting folliculitus on my head, so I went to the fern. She gave me tetracycline to take for 4 months. After the first 2 months, my shed dropped down to 100 and I got some regrowth popping up all over. Unfortunately I had a bad reaction to the penicillin and couldn't take it anymore (figures right?!). But the fact that it helped me just proves in my mind that what I have isn't strict Androgenetic Alopecia. There's something going on that is causing inflammation, hence contributing to the hair loss.

Unfortunately no doctor wants to figure it out. I couldn't help reading your footer - BC pills started this nightmare for me as well!

11. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi rayna,

Thank you for your reply.. I am trying to search everywhere for answers or for something that will tell ms why this is happening to me, and why it is not stopping . Hair loss is very scary to deal with.

When you were losing 50 to 100 hairs a day, did your hair look ok?? And what does your hair look like losing 200 to 300 a day tight now??

I hear you about the scalp issues. I also have problems with my scalp. Each day I wake up and am scared of what the day will face, itchhing, burning, etc.

Have you ever tried anti dandruff shamooos ? They didn't help?? What I do now, is sometimes before I shower, I will take some anti dandruff shampoo and mix a little with water and dab on it my scalp and leave it for a few min then I wash my hair. At least tahr way, it will not fry your hair and will not make you lose so much more hair . But I also believe that there is maybe some sort of inflammation that is causing this, but no derm could tell me what is going on.

What bcp were you on?? I just want to kick myself for ever taking that pill. Now my life is ruined.
    Din

12. polly

polly Guest

Thank you so much for your replies.

I had an emergency operation (years ago) and i'd been on dianette (for acne) after my op I stopped taking the bcp, about a month later my hair began to shed - to the point I only had peach fuzz left. It grew back, but since then i've had shedding and the past three years it's looking more like Androgenetic Alopecia.

My doctor sent me for two seperate ultrasounds on my ovary which were clear.

I went to see another doctor as for the past six months i've had terrible pain, swollen stomach, my cycle has been all over the place. On third scan (different technician this time) she found fibroids on my ovary. This sounds insane, but i'm kind of glad there's something there - because I honestly thought I was going mad.

Back to the doctor again friday to discuss my options. I definately think this has something to do with my hair loss.

13. polly

polly Guest

Din,

I use the Lush 'new' bar shampoo. I think they have a peppermint one now too (I haven't tried that one yet)

It used to feel like i'd had my hair pulled. It's a horrible thing. :(

14. rayna

rayna Guest

Hi Din - I can't remember what pill I was on, only that it was high androgen.

This has been going on for me 8 years and during the time when it stabilized for a while (50-100/day), it wasn't looking too bad; however, during the last year where its been shedding non-stop 200+ hairs/day, its taken a major hit. By that I mean, the front is just starting to thin and be see-through-ish. My part is okay and I don't think anyone else can tell, but if it continues, within the next year or year and a half, I'll HAVE to get supplemental hair or do something. Also, the texture in the last year ahs changed from 'normal' feeling hair to cotton candy, wispy type of texture like baby hair that won't hold a style or stay in palce with hair spray.

I just went to a new endo and will get new bloodwork and see what it says, so if my estrogen/progesterone is still low I'm ging to pressure her to put me on bioidentical hormones to see what happens.

I'll keep you posted. I'm starting to get to the point where I am just so TIRED of all of this that I think fake hair might be easier and less stressful than all of the vitamins, time spent researching on my own, blood letting and worry.

15. dying curls

dying curls Guest

I have no clue...with pcos the little cysts are the results of an hormonal imbalances, a specific one.

I did nto know you could get fibroids on your ovaries...!
    I have never heard of fibroids as a cause for hair loss but ask your doctor.

16. kellyb

kellyb Guest

:lost: hi,in my case l have leomyoma in my uterus and had a shot of lupron 1.88mg to cut the hormones temporary....like menopause.....but been taking finasteride for 4 months....according to my reserch...finasteride increases estrogen
    ....l didnt have courage to tell my doctor l was on finasteride....so l dont know lf l keep with finateride or not.....l'm also afraid to lose more hair....and frankly dont have that much to lose anymore.......what do you think?any opinion?

17. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Hi,

I just found out I have at uterine fibroids. They aren't causing bleeding but are definitely palpable. Also, visible on an ultrasound.

I am interested in this thread because I wonder if the fibroids are a contributing factor to hair loss. They are very common -- 2/5 woman in their 30's and 40's have them. They feed on estrogen. I wonder if they use up the body's estrogen and then the hair loss starts???

18. polly

polly Guest

The fibriods were in my womb. Egg on face and apologies. I do wonder if there is something to this though. *sigh* It's never ending.

19. snowflake

Dislikes Received:
    How are you doing now Polly? This thread is really old. I am just rereading my old posts.