Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

finasteride......hirsutism

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by hairtoday, Nov 15, 2008.

1. hairtoday

hairtoday Guest

Hi,

I have been taking Finasteride since January of this year. It was prescribed for hair growth/loss. At first I noticed my facial/body hair came in slower and thinner.

I recently noticed facial hair growing faster and a bit thicker again. There seems to be more blondish hairs growing on my face, like this fuzz all over.I am also on Yasmin for hormones.

I'd just like to know ladies' experiences with Finasteride for hirsutism. Thanks.

2. iisara21

iisara21 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not taking finasteride, but I saw this on wikipedia and thought that maybe it could help explain the body hair:

"Propecia (and other products containing finasteride) causes a rise in testosterone levels, because testosterone that would normally be converted into DHT remains testosterone."

If this is true, the rise in testosterone could be contributing to your increase in body hair.

3. medusa

medusa Guest

Hi hairtoday,
    Although I've been on 2.5 mg of finasteride for only 6 weeks, I've noticed just the opposite. I used to get these thick black hairs on my chin and every other day I'd have to pluck them out. For the past 3 weeks, I have not gotten them. I am also taking 100mg Spironolactone so I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

4. medusa

medusa Guest

Forgot to mention that I'm also on Yasmin.

Hairtoday, how is your hair loss doing overall? Are you shedding or are you seeing any regrowth?

5. adriabold

adriabold Guest

I think I am too late to answer this question about hirsutism, but frankly speaking I have hanged in here to ask a question rather than answer. So sorry. What is the effect of metformin on hirsutism in PCOS? What are the side effects if finasteride?

6. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just read on another board that finasteride cream and pills are also used against hirsutism, because it reduces body hair. I don't know about metformin, sorry.