Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Finasteride

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by eggplant, Jul 30, 2016.

1. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What sort of results has anyone on here had with Finasteride? I'm on 200mg of Spironolactone (and have also added minoxidil but that was only six weeks ago) and haven't had any change is the hair loss. I'd like to ask my endocrinologist for Finasteride at my next appointment because, well, aside from another anti-androgen it seems like it's my only other choice.

2. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi eggplant. Fina is for Androgenetic Alopecia ( and only for men).
    I would-be not use it if you don't have Androgenetic Alopecia. It is quite a heavy medication

3. eggplant

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I want it, ha! ;)

I'm pretty convinced it has to be Androgenetic Alopecia or at least androgen related. Despite a biopsy that said TE, my symptoms are entirely Androgenetic Alopecia-like and I do already have an underlying condition with elevated androgens. I've tried supplements and have gotten my iron up for a while now with no change in the hair loss.

4. MEvsHAIR

MEvsHAIR New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there,I am taking 5mg Finasteride, along with 200mg Spironolactone and minoxidil. I've been on this regime for about 3 mos. I have had no negative side effects, other than some slight breast tenderness. No big deal. I am seeing some regrowth, although I'll never know from what exactly. Finasteride has shown to help women in some studies. I would give it a go!

5. eggplant

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you've seen results! Keep us updated. Thanks!

6. jordan1234

jordan1234 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on finn too

I take a small amount, a 5mg pill cut in half 3 times a week. So I am taking 7.5 mg a week, I also take 200mg of Spironolactone, and I am on ortho cyclen bcp. All of these have been started this year. They seem to have slowed down the shed, but I saw no regrowth so I added Rogaine. I have been on that for one month now. Shed has increased but I am hoping that is a good sign that new hair is growing.

7. Jep30*

Jep30* New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I have been prescribed finasteride for my Androgenetic Alopecia. Spironolactone gave me bad side effects. For those that use it, has it worked for you?

8. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jep30*,

Hello, I have been on finesteride 2.5mg for about 19 months now and rogaine foam 5% twice a day. My hair loss continues to get better every month. I haven't had any side effects at least that I know of or can tell. I also am on HRT, nature throid, and vitamins. I got on everything right away as soon as I noticed my hair was thinning and it definitely got worse before it got better. It a long slow process but I think I am seeing some light for sure. Also, I am 52 and in the post menopause stage. Hope this helps!!

9. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Psunday can I ask what HRT you're on? I'm struggling with mine a lot right now, and every adjustment causes a TE.

10. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    hoping4best,

"can I ask what HRT you're on? I'm struggling with mine a lot right now"

Hello again! I am on estrogel .06% (its a gel) 1 pump a day, prometrium 100mg (oral progesterone) 1 pill a day, and estrace (.01% vaginal cream) twice a week. I had menopausal symptoms (hot flashes mainly, some night sweats, etc) but I never wanted to go on HRT because of the WHI study. I thought I was handling all of what comes with menopause fairly well and wanted to on my own. But I couldn't handle the hair loss one, that was a big one for me anyway! I have to say I feel much better on them in many ways and it seems to be helping my hair too!! Just an fyi, look up our old posts "rogaine update month sixth", I did respond to you it just took me awhile (holidays) so sorry but you should see it now. I couldn't figure out how to PM you, my bad.

11. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, thank you so much psunday!

12. sdp10112

sdp10112 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also on Spironolactone and only 1 mg. of finasteride. It has not helped me at all. I am wondering if I should increase the dosage of the finasteride.? My blood work also shows that I have 0 estrogen. I was just put on the vivelle dot estrogen patch. I was wondering if hrt will hurt or help my hair loss? It seems my shedding has picked up lately and I am desperately trying to minimize it. Any info. on increasing finasteride or hrt would be great! Thanks!