Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

First hair follicle miniaturization, now suddenly hair coming out easily. 'Normal'??

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by electra, Dec 1, 2016.

1. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So, in the past year my hair has been thinning, and I've noticed the follicle miniaturization (fine, wispy hairs in place of former long, thicker hairs, etc.).

In the past couple of weeks, suddenly (I couldn't do this before) I can tug on some hair and it will come OUT. And I notice a lot of it in drain, etc., whereas before (even with the miniaturization) I didn't think I had a hair LOSS problem. And tugging didn't do anything before two weeks ago. Also, it seems suddenly really dry, really thin, very easily tangles (and then comes out).

I assumed this was female pattern hair loss/Androgenetic Alopecia, etc, before it started falling out.

Is the falling- out- easily-thing related to the miniaturization of follicles? Or is this something different? I'm FREAKING OUT. Thanks for any help/reassurance/advice!!!

2. ladymarmalade09

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak to whether it is indicative of TE or Androgenetic Alopecia, but I just wanted to share that my hair has been like that from the beginning of all of this hairloss stuff. Especially the hairs around my temples....those seem to take little effort to come out. I *think* I had TE that morphed into Androgenetic Alopecia, so I'm not sure if that symptom is a TE or Androgenetic Alopecia symptom, but I just wanted to add that it happens to me too!

3. electra

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, LadyMarmalade, for replying! Do they think it's the low ferritin that's causing it? May I ask how old you are? I'm 46 and definitely going through some hormone 'changes'...

4. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you're going through a TE shed. If you are going through hormone changes, it definitely could be related to that. The pull test is what determines if you have TE, so if you are tugging and losing a bunch of strands, then you're more than likely in a TE episode

5. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The texture and condition changes sound like TE too, that happened to my hair. It took 2 years for my "old hair" texture to return.

6. electra

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. But if I have follicle miniaturization, too, is it still TE? Or is TE a sign of Androgenetic Alopecia as well? So confused and freaked out.

And I know there are other threads for this, but if anything has helped anyone with this, please let me know. Thanks. :(

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am 69, have been losing my hair since perimenopause. It is an obvious hormonal caused Androgenetic Alopecia or FPHL. I lost hair easily just by running my fingers through my hair, didn't have to tug or pull. Also had miniaturization. I now wear a bonded HH topper.

8. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    Miniaturization is more indicative of Androgenetic Alopecia. The two do not have to be related at all. People with no genetic hair loss have TE sheds - TE can be caused by trauma, stress, high emotions, etc. TE can unmask Androgenetic Alopecia, or you can have TE sheds while having Androgenetic Alopecia.

If you want to know what is going on, your best bet is to get a scalp biopsy.

9. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have finer hair. It is miniturised. I know 100 percent it isnt fphl. My female older family members have my hair. The same hair colour and all and they havd their full hair colour and hair thickness. So fine thinning hair soesnt always mean fphl.