Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

First Week Of Minoxidil Shed - Female, 27

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sarah9, Sep 11, 2018.

1. sarah9

sarah9 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone! I'm a brand new user here (female, 27 years old), but not new to hair loss... I've been experiencing gradual overall hair loss/general thinning for the last 8-9 years or so. I believe it all started when I did some Brazilian Keratin treatments and then shortly after was near anemic (ferritin level was a 4). Since then, it's been a long process of dealing with various doctors, most of them telling me my hair loss is normal and not providing much help or any useful diagnosis. I've always shed a lot my whole life, but my new normal has become 150-200 hairs a day or so, and much more on days I wash my hair (easily 300+).

A couple months ago I started getting frustrated again with my hair loss, and did two things. The first was that I started doing PRP treatments (I've only done one so far, but going back for my second today!) The second was that I decided to see a naturopathic doctor. She prescribed some oral supplements as well as a 2% Minoxidil topical solution. I just started the Minoxidil about a month ago, using it twice a day. Within the last 3-4 days, I've noticed a significant increase in shedding -- up to easily 300-400 a day. I assume this is the dreaded shed everyone talks about. I've been reading a lot of forums on here (some giving me hope and some making me cry), and it seems that everyone has a very different experience in terms of how long this will last and how severe it will be. The most consistent thing I read, however, is that the shedding is a sign that it's working and if you stick with it, the shed will eventually end and the new growth will be worth it. Has anyone been through this and can attest?

Since I have just started the shed, I'm sure I am in for a few long and emotional months. I am planning to take it day by day and do the best I can. Any advice or words of encouragement are much appreciated! From what I can tell, this is a amazingly strong community of women and I'm so thankful we all have each other!