Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"
  1. melphone

melphone Guest

I need some advice. I have HORRIBLE flaking problems (not sure if it is dandruff or seb derm or something else) and sometimes get like moist flakes/scales. But here is the thing: I just Nizoral this morning and it's soooooooooooooooooooooo bad right now. I wash my hair every other day and rotate between Nizoral 1% and either T-Sal or T-Gel and that's it. so all of the shampoos/conditioners I use are for these kind of issues. But my scalp is WAY flakier/scalier after I use these. Doesn't that NOT make sense? These treatments are made for this issue. Am I overloading my scalp with medicated treatments? Do you think it's really dry from these shampoos...but then way are they moist flakes? Sorry, I know this is gross but don't know who else to ask.

When I used Jason's thin-to-thick, I had the same problem not 2 hrs after showering and using it. :x

2. polly

polly Guest

Hi,

look for oilatum (think that's how you spell it) it might be Nizoral is too harsh on your scalp.

My head sometimes feels worse after using nizoral too. but the lasercomb had helped the itchiness.....either that or it's in my head. :?

have you been to the doctor?

3. melphone

melphone Guest

I just did a search and I believe I have seb derm based on the definition, but the prescribed treatments are selsun blue/nizoral/tar/saclyic acid/etc. and I use all those things and it only makes it worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so confused!

4. teester

teester Guest

Are you leaving the Nizoral on to long. I use it 2 times per week with out problem but yesterday I left it in longer and today my scalp is itchy and it burns a bit.

5. gigi

gigi Guest

Hi,

Melphone, I have at least I think seb derm too, I have been using products for it for 7 months and I see no improvements at all. I am not sure what scaling is. And I really dont have flakes on my shirt or anything like that. My scalp is just itchy at times and I can scrape white residue from scalp. Almost like it is embedded in it. (Sounds Gross) I have heard that sometimes you need to treat the fungus from within and take antibiotics for seb derm. I have been debating about going to my GP and asking for them myself but I am afraid that one of the side effects is hair loss. You could try that and ask your doctor for a list of side effects. I hear seb derm is extremely to hard to get under control, but once you do, things will improve.

I read your scalp biopsy post and things sound very positive for you, you should be relieved that you hair should grow back with time. So my suggestion is to relax, don't stress so much over your hair, stress can be a MAJOR cause of seb derm and will aggravate it. Judging from your post your hair and scalp should recover with time. I know this sounds easier said than done.

Best wishes

6. melphone

melphone Guest

Well that latest is that I've decided to quit my bcp completely. so i just got off of the ortho tri cyclin lo yesterday. i'm also going to start rogaine 2% b/c i am thinking that maybe i just need something to tell my hair 'okay, it's time to grow now'. also that might help with the bcp change. i'm praying that i don't screw up my system even more by getting off the ortho lo.
    Anyways, my sister emailed this passage she found on the internet somewhere about seb derm. This makes complete sense to me b/c i do have greasy flake but not much dandruff and super dry hair. just thought any of you who are experiencing this might like to read.

"Excess sebum that accompanies hair loss is due to enlargement of the sebaceous gland which is attached to each hair follicle. This increases sebum production, clogging pores, malnourishing the hair root and raising levels of the enzyme 5 alpha reductase which converts testosterone to the hormone DHT which causes follicles to shrink and hair to go into resting phase.

Seborrhea of the scalp (overproduction of oil secretion) also causes hair loss. This form of dandruff forms greasy or crusty scales on the scalp in contrast to the common form which has dry flakes and is not related to hair loss. In both cases excess sebum combines with dead cell flakes from normal sloughing, clogging the follicle and inhibits the hair reproductive cycle. Dry hair accompanies this syndrome since oily flakes clogging the follicles prevent oil from traveling down the hair shaft. When sebum combines with excess scalp perspiration it can form hard, crystalline follicle plugs. This causes follicle congestion and tissue hardening which inhibits nutrient flow to the hair.

However, the sebaceous gland attached to it remains the same size. As the hair shafts become smaller, the gland continues to pump out about the same amount of oil. So as your hair thins, you will notice that your hair becomes flatter and oilier.
    Other physiological factors might cause hair loss. Recently, a group of Japanese researcher reported a correlation between excessive sebum in the scalp and hair loss. Excessive sebum often accompanying thinning hair is attributed to an enlargement of the sebaceous gland. They believed excessive sebum causes an high level of 5-alpha reductase and pore clogging, thus malnutrition of the hair root."

7. scoobe

scoobe Guest

flaking

hey everybody.
    I am having the exact same problem. It reminds me of cradle cap that you have as a baby. I can scrape it with my finger nail or with a comb. I have been using tee tree shampoo and conditioner everyday and it helps alot but I have to wash my hair everyday. I read that jojoba shampoo helps but I haven't tried it yet. The nizoral is not helping at all. If anyone has had any success with this please help us. Also, dandruff shampoos and tgel made it worse for me.

8. melphone

melphone Guest

scoobe,
    I'm right there with you. I'll have white gunk 3 hrs after just showering with Nizoral 1%. Head and Shoulders made it worse and T-Sal makes my scalp itchy. I have been using Tea Tree shampoo (organic type) and just normal conditioner on my ends (I try to avoid putting conditioner on my scalp/roots since it causes buildup). What you have sounds EXACTLY what I have. My parents always used to say I had cradle cap and that's EXACTLY what I would say I have now, except I'm an adult (heh, who acts like a kid). It's pretty bad - I can just scrape my scalp and lots of white gunk comes off. Not necessarily dandruff, no real flakes, unless I rub my scalp. I know this is pretty graphic (gross) but I know people in my boat need to talk about it (plus, it's kinda embarassing). I think the Rogaine 2% and Tricomin don't help things since it's a lot of product which means a lot of buildup. I wash my hair every other day, and rotate between the tea tree shampoo and the nizoral 1%. Thinking of stopping the Nizoral since I don't see it doing a damn thing except maybe making things worse.

By the way, I've also started rinsing my hair in apple cider vinegar + water solution since I heard its good for seb derm and it's relatively wholesome, organic method (in my opinion). I buy organic vinegar. Maybe try that Scoobe. I've had this cradle cap my entire life and never have solved the mystery of ridding myself of it. Good luck, we'll need it!

9. scoobe

scoobe Guest

flaking

Hey, thanks for the input. I was surfing the web and found out that selenium, which is in alot of dandruff shampoos can cause inflammation. I also read that hydrocortisone liquid can help with the itching, it also stated the LESS you wash your hair the worse it will get, and also if dandruff shampoos do not work try antifungal shampoos. I'm going to try the hydrocortisone liquid and look for some anitungal shampoos. Damn!! all the money we have invested in all these products!!!!!!! Talk to ya soon.

10. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

My father suffered quite badly with this. He was using Selsun and Nizoral, Polytar, T gel - all the usual products. The problem with these is that they often work short term but because they cause aggrivation, the relief is short lived, so I encouraged him to gently but with light vigorous movements, massage warm olive oil in to his scalp at night. He was very cynical, but every night for a bout 10 nights he did this and slept with a head full of greasy gunk. then in the morning, he would apply neat shampoo (no condiioner) to his dry hair, rinse and repeat. Very quickly he noticed a dramatic improvement and was left with a healthy scalp and shiny soft hair. It is now two years on and it has never come back. It is something I practice once a month to maintain my scalp health.

11. lulu

lulu Guest

still looking for amswers

hi guys.
    im 15 and have dandruff 2. in the last 5 months iv been experiencing hair loss which is gradually becoming more noticeable and worse. im wondering could that be related to dandruff. im hoping it is and i dont lose all my hair!
    please help
    lulu

12. scoobe

scoobe Guest

dandruff

hey lulu,

are you sure it is dandruff and not seb derm? I thought mine was dandruff for the longest time. If it is seb derm it can cause hair loss. Seb derm is similiar to cradle crap that babies experience but as a teen or adult is seb derm. It is white flakes that build up on the scalp. With mine I can scrape it off with a comb or fingernail. I have tried multiple things. The best treatment is to massage warm mineral oil on the scalp at night and wash it out in the morning with a mild shampoo. You can also treat it with denorex, tgel or head and shoulders. Leave it on the scalp for five or ten minutes then rinse. Do this everyday until it is under control and then use twice a week. Good luck to you. I have just started using the denorex and have noticed a big difference in the itching and flaking. Also, if it is seb derm you need to try to wash your hair everyday. Less shampooing can make it worse. Let me know how it turns out for you. In researching the seb derm it is very common in teenagers. Try searching under cradle cap and you will find out alot.

13. cmlozano

cmlozano Guest

I'm using a garlic shampoo and is working for me. The flakes are derm seb and cause the hair loss. You need to wash your hair all days with warm- hot water with a strong massage in the scalp to eliminate the oils in your folicures.

14. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I would exercise caution with strong massage - good massage is important but you don't want to be rubbing or pulling on the hair and hot water is always a negative. It opens the cuticles and the hair becomes more damaged. It also dries the scalp and affects the ph of the skin adversley. Stick with warm water for washing and always rinse in cool water.

15. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Re: dandruff

When my daughter was a baby her doctor told us to use Saffola oil on her cradle cap because it was closer to her PH balance. I don't know if that's true with adults, but it worked wonders with my little one. We also used Seltzen Blue as her shampoo, also told to us by her doctor.

16. melphone

melphone Guest

What is saffola oil? Did you do what others said and rub it in at night then wash her hair in the morning iwth the Selsun blue? How often did you do this? My seb derm is OUT OF CONTROL since i started using the rogaine 5%. i called my derm. and he said use keep switching between the Nizoral 1% and the T-Gel everyday. But it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad! And it seems that these shampoos make it worse. I use the rogaine at night, then wash with these in the morning. but it's so bad, really gross.

Mine is definitely seb derm (and maybe ALSO dandruff) b/c i had thick white gunk. If I use the oil, how much do I use? Do you let it dry then go to sleep? When would I use the rogaine then (right now, only do it once at night everyday)?

I have heard that using cold water is better, b.c it also causes less itching and discomfort later. Help

17. colline

colline Guest

WOOOOOaah thats alot of stuff for one scalp

No offense but wow look how much stuff you are putting on your scalp - you have to take it one day at a time

I have had psoriasis for years and my dermatologist gave me elocon for the scalp as a lotion and calpsal for the shampoo then i use ayurvedic shampoo called saras now. Nizorol and t gel were always giving me worse problems as my skin is very sensitive. In three days the scalp was back to normal.

I feel as if you are putting so much pressure on your scalp with all the regaine and nizoral - try something a little lighter on the scalp ask your derm about elocon the itching stopped for me and then have a look at a more herbal lighter shampoo - one that doesnt foam of volumises but is natural as the regaine will from what i have heard take a lot out of the scalp

Let me know how you do

18. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Saffola oil is just a vegitable like oil, but we had to get it at the health food store ( don't go get any old vegitable oil, we were warned). With my daughter we would just apply it and gently massage her scalp ( not hard, we didn't want to irritate) and then wash her hair with the selsan blue right after. We didn't massage her scalp with the shampoo, I would lather it in my hands and then just lightly apply it enough to get it on her scalp and help wash away the saffola oil ( which wasn't gross oil-y). I think with the selsan blue you leave it on for so long, but since she was a baby we cut that time in half.

19. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I am repeating my earlier post as I feel it has some relevance here...

Love Sally xx

20. melphone

melphone Guest

I don't feel like I am using too much on my scalp. The rogaine is only at night. Then when I shower in the morning, I either shampoo with Nizoral or T-Gel (which is what the doctor recommended). Before I was also using Tea Tree Shampoo from whole foods, but the doctor wasn't too happy with a tree oil derivative b/c he said that might work now, but it won't help things in the long run.

I feel like the oils will react with the rogaine and I'll get some freaky reaction. Can you guys just give me the specific names of the products you use? So could I just apply oil (pending the specific brands I hear) (how much as well?), leave it on for 10 minutes, then take a shower with nizoral shampoo or a reg. shampoo? which are gentle shampoos? this is all so confusing. but the one thing my doctor stressed, is that he did not want me to stop using the rogaine yet.