Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"
  1. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Hi Melphone, I can't advise you about using it in conjunction with Rogaine as this is a new area to me, but in general you would use a pure oil. I like almond oil because it is light weight...olive is heavy and maybe difficult to remove. Almond, sunflower or plain old vegetable are just fine and you are looking at a teaspoon in total. I'm not sure why the healthfood place would recommend against using vegetable, tho thggis maybe to do with potential nut allergies. I can't think of any other reason, as it is as good as anything else. Some people like minberal oil too, but I find this a little too light weight.

2. melphone

melphone Guest

So then how do you do it? Do you pour a teaspoon of almond oil on your dry hair and rub it in the scalp? Then how long do you leave it on for? What do you use to wash it out? How often do you use it? Do you have a specific brand you use?

I suppose I can miss one night of Rogaine to do this oil treatment.

3. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Neat oil, warmed slighly. Rub it into your hands and lighly massage in to your scalp. Leave overnight and apply neat shampoo, leave a few mins, rinse, shampoo again, rinse in luke water. Bobs your uncle!

4. carmenb

carmenb Guest

jojoba oil

Has anyone tried massaging jojoba oil onto their scalp. I heard that it was the closest to the sebum/oil? that our scalps produce and that it could help control the flaking. I'm just too lazy to take the time and apply it to my scalp.

5. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Sounds good to me. I would just make sure it isn't one of the highly perfumed cosmetic kinds.

6. melphone

melphone Guest

sally, do they have Neat oil/shampoo in the states? I've never seen it, at least not in New Orleans. If not, do you know another good brand that they might have here. [Or if I have to use jojoba or mineral oil, can you tell me where I should try and find it as to avoid the heavily perfumed types?] And when you say "warmed slightly", how do you warm it? Does it dry at all or do you have a greasy head on your pillow? Is this just a one-time thing?

Argh, I'm so getting ready to shave my hair. Watch out Natalie Portman!

7. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Gosh, sorry Melphone for the delay. I've been on holiday & must have missed your question!

The neat shampoo, is just that. Shampoo, out of a bottle, on to your hand and popped on to dry hair BEFORE adding water. Any shampoo will do the job. You won't get a lather, but you don't need to.

Again, when talking about neat oil, I mean just that. A little cap ful of oil, taken straight out the bottle.

Couldn't be easier! Good luck! x

8. melphone

melphone Guest

Ha, I'm an idiot! I thought Neat was a brand! so you mean just apply oil to a dry scalp, sleep with it on, then apply shampoo in the morning on the same dry/oily scalp, rinse it off in the shower, put more shampoo on, and rinse it off, yes? Maybe I'll forgo the rogaine one night to do this. I'm going to the derm next Thur. so I'm going to ask him about it.

9. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Bless...yes, you've got it. Good luck mate :)

10. melphone

melphone Guest

Thanks Sally. Can you recommend any good shampoo brands for this problem (that they would have in the U.S. too)?

11. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

hi lovely,

Not really I'm afraid. Just the usual things you guys are trying already x

12. God'sGiRL

God'sGiRL Guest

can i use baby oil? is that ok?..and wat is the final verdict on vegitable oil, is that ok too?

13. colline

colline Guest

dr go

okay i am a freqent psorasis sufferer and i have always had it in all sorts of places including my scalp - i use the hydrocortsone lotion which is excellent and gives it enough moisture that within two days it goes - get yourself to the dr and tell him the issue i reckon this will do the trick after that then i would use some of the oils like lavender etc or get yourself a hair tonic for scalp dryness but first get the head checked out as a dermatologist can tell you exactly the issue with the scalp - it is so common and you dont want it back

14. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Godsgirl, vegetable oil is fine, though almond or olive are better as purer. Baby oil tends to be 'junk'- over processed and full of fragrance usually. you'd be better sticking with one of the other oils.

15. melphone

melphone Guest

has anyone tried Aveda's 'scalp remedy'? My stylist (who works at the aveda salons) recommended this instead of their scalp benefits shampoo (said this was better). This is what the copy says about it:

An inspired solution--a treatment for dry, itchy scalps. Unlike shampoos or conditioners that rinse away, Scalp Remedy is a leave-in product that keeps working--while adding volume, shine and control. Effectively prevents recurrence of dandruff and soothes scalp with our plant-derived formula.
    Adds volume, shine and control

Key Ingredients.
    Coneflower, Red clover

Apply a small amount directly to the scalp and massage in. Do not rinse out. Style as usual. For best results, use at least 2 times a week.

I'm just wondering how this would work with the rogaine. I guess use the rogaine at night, sleep, wash hair in morning, then put on this scalp treatment, then work or whatever and put the rogaine on at night again.... seems like a lot for the scalp.