Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Flonase and hair loss?

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by Ms_Understood, Dec 26, 2010.

1. My sheds have suddenly gotten worse over the past two-three weeks, as well as the scalp burning intensifying. Coincidentally, I started using Flonase nasal spray for some really bad allergies. I was taking Claritan which wasn't helping, so my PCP prescribed Flonase. I was using Veramyst nasal spray last month, which was of no help.

The active ingredient in Flonase is Fluticasone. There ARE drug interactions which, OF COURSE, my PCP neglected to tell me......though, my ever vigilant pharmacist DID tell me!

Here's the information the accompanying information sheet listed: "Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and non-prescription herbal products you may use, especially of: other forms of Corticosteroids: oral PREDNISONE, inhaled Triamcinolone, Natalizamab, drugs affecting the removal of Fluticasone from your system: potent CYP 3A4 inhibitors such as KETOCONAZOLE (which is the medical name for NIZORAL!) and Ritonavir.

Of course, my PCP neglected to check her computer to see the list of topical cortisone medications I was currently using on my scalp. I stopped using Ketoconazole 2% shampoo a while ago, but I WAS using two topical cortisones sporadically for the past two months...Texacort, which is like a prescription version of Scalpicin and Fluocinolone Acetonide.

My PCP could care less about any medication which might cause me further hair loss, but she should have had the sense to worry about potentially serious drug interactions!

Always ask your doctor about potentially serious drug interactions from ANY new medications they might prescribe, especially if you are also taking any herbal supplements!

2. Em374

Em374 Guest

I've been on Flonase for many years because it doesn't have the systemic effects of oral medications. I'm no expert, but I really doubt the nasal spray would interact with what you are using topically on your scalp.

3. Flonase actually CAN interact with other medications, it doesn't matter if these medications are taken orally or topically.

I just posted this: "Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and non-prescription herbal products you may use, especially of: other forms of Corticosteroids: oral PREDNISONE, inhaled Triamcinolone, Natalizamab, drugs affecting the removal of Fluticasone from your system: potent CYP 3A4 inhibitors such as KETOCONAZOLE" (which is the medical name for NIZORAL!)...."and Ritonavir."

Ketoconazole is the prescription name of the 2% version of Nizoral......which is the shampoo many women here use. Flonase and Nizoral do not mix.

Whether a medication is taken orally or absorbed topically through our pores, it's getting into our system.

It's always best to tell your doctors the other medications, as well as supplements, you take in case there are potential interactions.

I had a very bad reaction when my PCP put me on Spironolactone, yet she kept me on a water pill I was already taking for my high blood pressure. I DID remind her I was already on a water pill. She actually told me, "It's fine you can be on both." She was wrong.

Though these two meds were water pills, the medications simply didn't mix. With the original water pill, I was supposed to up my Potassium intake by eating bananas and other Potassium rich foods, the Spironolactone causes you to retain Potassium, essentially, I was getting too much Potassium.

Damn this hair loss, I know I wouldn't be worried about most of this stuff if I wasn't going bald, because I wouldn't be taking Spironolactone, or using Nizoral, and trying ALL this other crap in the first place!

4. Em374

Em374 Guest

"Damn this hair loss, I know I wouldn't be worried about most of this stuff if I wasn't going bald, because I wouldn't be taking Spironolactone, or using Nizoral, and trying ALL this other crap in the first place!""

I agree! I applaud you for staying on top of it, though. Hang in there.

5. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Pretty sure it´s only a problem if you take Nizoral tabs internally. And the only thing it would do is prevent Flonase from working properly, not cause hair loss.

I´ve been using both Flonase and Nizoral for many years now.