Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Flu shots

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by justme, Apr 27, 2008.

1. justme

justme Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can they cause hair loss or thinning?

Valentine :heart:

2. I don't think so! I always get a flu shot and it had no effect on my hairloss.

3. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Probably not.

Why is this in the wig and toppers section?

4. Penny1970

Penny1970 Guest

Japanese study linked swine flu to hair loss

I am not a scientist/researcher but have had a very coincidental experience with Alopecia Universalis and the flu shot.
    The swine flu aka h1n1 has recently been linked to hair loss...http://www.livescience.com/17450-swine-flu-baldness-alopecia-areata.html

i have had Alopecia Areata for thirty years, but never severely. This year we were leaving the country for a few months and about a week before we left, we got our flu shot. Within a month (as of today), i have lost 90% of the hair on my head and am shedding body hair, meaning Alopecia Universalis. Of course, I cannot say for sure that the shot was the cause, but the dramatic shedding began a few days after receiving it, so the timing is right.
    as you are probably aware a vaccine is simply a small dose of what is being vaccinated for, so I assume that, as a predisposed Alopecia Areata person, it could have triggered the Alopecia Universalis. I have had the flu shot in prior years with no adverse effects.

the most frustrating part of Alopecia is the lack of information on triggers. Either way, I will not be getting the flu shot next year.

5. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is so strange. January 2014 I had the swine flu. It was really bad. I took the anti viral meds and still was sick for 9 days. March 2014 is when my hair began massive shed !!!