Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

fluctuating shed on rogaine?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Distraughtshedder, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Dolls!

As many of you know I started my rogaine journey about 5 months ago. I have had great success and regained most of my hair. My shedding decreased almost as soon as I started using rogaine, latisse and taking supplements.

About a month ago; at 4.5 months I noticed an increase in my shed. I attributed this to "operator error" because I had gotten alittle lax in my applications and supplement taking. Now its been about a month and my shed is still a bit heavy even though I have been on top of applying the rogaine and taking my supplements daily.

My question is this. Have any of the rogaine users experienced fluctuations in their shedding? Periods when there was just mysteriously heavier shedding? If so How long did/does it last? I am seeing new growth "sprouts" again ... much like I saw around my 2 to 3month mark. I guess I'm just worrying myself this morning lol... I was sailing right along thinking the worst was behind me and got lazy... now I am scared that I f*ck*d it all up ... pardon my french... we're all adults .. and I'm sure we've used ar share of profanity throughout our hair ordeal

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    How many applications did you miss, when you were slacking, on average? It could be a result of your lack of discipline with applications, or it could be a totally normal Rogaine shed. The hair is supposed to grow back thicker each time. How many hairs are you losing now, as compared to before?

3. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    I would say I was slacking for about 2 to 3 weeks. During that time I missed between one and three days a week. Three days happening only once when I had company from out of town. I'd say for the most part I was applying it at least every other day. I dont count the hairs.. but if I had to guess I'd say maybe 40 a day. Maybe 10 to 20 before. Even at 40 per day its nothing compared to what I was losing before I started the rogaine. Hopefully it calms down soon. I searched the boards and it seems fluctuating sheds are common with rogaine.

How are you coming along? Did you try the latisse since the rogaine caused issues for you?

4. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there DS!
    Sorry to hear your shed is up, but I bet it is either attributed to the missed doses or just the nature of the Rogaine cycle. The great news is that you see new sprouts! Congrats! It's hard, but try not too worry too much about the shedding, especially when it is "low" (but I know our lows are also our highs!). I also need to take my own advice because as I approach week 5, I've been obsessing about every hair I shed. I'm so worried I'll be worse off at the end of all of this
    Try to relax & somehow distract from thinking about it too much!
    Best wishes & keep us in the loop

5. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sheeny ☺. I was doing ok at first but the longer it continues I can't help but think I may have ruined everything. If I did.. At least I know rogaine DOES work for me and it should eventually grow back if I stay on top of it. I still have great coverage ... A tad bit thinner but nothing crazy. Only time will tell.

Are you seeing any positive results yet? It was around 4 weeks when my photos started to show my crown filling in.

6. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Hey! I'm sure you will bounce back quickly!
    No results yet. I'm afraid to take pics right now, because the constant shedding is really getting to me. I think today or tomorrow it'll be 5 weeks. My shed fluctuates from day to day, but overall, I'd say I am losing 80-100 hairs. It's getting tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel- I'm beginning to wonder if this was a mistake :(
    I'm not sure if my scalp looks thinner, but my overall density is definitely down.

7. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    You might just be going through the "dread shed". I didnt have one... But half my hair was gone anyway when I started lol. Try to stick it out for at least 3 months and TAKE PICS. I could only see it was working when I compared photos. When I looked in the mirror I just saw the same mess I always saw. We get in this negative mental space that just doesnt allow us to see the progress in the mirror. Hopefully your shed .. And mine ... Will slow down soon :)

8. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny, my dread shed lasted until week 10 so hang in there. My density definitely got worse before it got better, but the good news is that once it started to get better it happened really fast. If your shed is like mine, you're halfway done! And maybe yours will be shorter. My daily loss was probably similar to yours. "Normal" but worse than usual. Definitely take monthly pictures. It's painful at the time, but so helpful down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

DS, I've had a couple periods of heavier shedding over the past year. I haven't been able to determine a pattern yet, but it does seem to happen to a lot of Rogaine users.

9. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    Rva how long do the heavy shed periods last?

10. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, rva! I really needed to hear that!

11. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe one week at a time?

12. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
  13. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    thank you Jehope! its comforting to see posts like that. I searched the board and found a few threads much like yours. Hopefully I am just dealing with the ups and downs of rogaine and didnt mess everything up. I am going to be optimistic about it.. I really dont think I missed enough applications to undo everything..... today was a good day .. I comapered my 5 month and 5.5 month photos and my part seems to thickening up a bit. Heres hoping for the best.

14. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there! It's probably not because you missed an application because I miss one fairly often and it has no effect. Make sure you keep taking photos! It will keep you sane during the periods of higher shed!

15. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    JeHope,
    How much hair do you lose when you are not going through a shed?

16. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't even count. I would say like 30-40 hairs a day if I had to estimate.

17. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks JeHope,
    I was just thinking if you barely lose any hair other times, then it makes sense to have a bad shed period once or twice a year to get rid of the old and replace with new hair. With me, my shed never stopped on Rogaine, but it got dramatically reduced.

How long does your sheds typically last? Weeks? Months? And does your hair get noticeably thinner after the shed?