Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Follow me using Retin A and PT Hairfall (pictures)

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by SherryBerry, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Hi all. I'm going to start a new regimen of retin A along with a product called PT Hairfall. The Retin A I will start out at .05 and do daily. The PT hairfall will be once a week. I just ordered the products so they should be arriving in about a week.

Here are the "before" pictures :$ .....

Attached Files:

2. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Thank you Sherry for sharing with us. I haven't mustered the nerve to post pics but it's so helpful when others do. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. jade76

jade76 Guest

Sherry - Keep us posted... I havent heard anything about using retin a. Are you using it in combination with minoxidil? Our hair loss pattern is very similar. Have you ever experienced any regrowth? I think mine was filling in for awhile but seems to be shedding quite a bit again. :( I tried minoxidil for six months but quit about a year ago, it didnt do a thing for me.

4. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

I don't use anything but shampoo and a prayer...LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not real big on anything like rogaine, minoxidil or pills or such.

Right now I use PUREOLOGY shampooo and conditioner(purple bottles) Expensive but I'm liking it and it only takes a DROP to do my whole head. i also rinse with apple cider vinegar once in awhile and sometimes do a cleansing Bakingsoda wash to make sure EVERYTHING is out of my hair.

I'm going to have to say since I started doing the Vinegar, bakingsoda and pureology I have nicer texture. My hair was super brittle and kinda frizzed before and now its about 50% better.
    OH... and the days i do vinegar I get a bit less shed during the day. It's STINKY and my hair holds the smell a couple days even with washing but I do it anyways about 2x a month.

I also ONLY use ION SENSITIVE 10% developer with my ION SENSITIVE color when I color. I found that my hair is also much better using only these products. I tried switching back one time and tons of hair shed and it was aweful.

5. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should add nizoral shampoo 2%/2-3 times a week. It is not a drug and the ingredients help to fight dht on your scalp. Just a suggestion!!

6. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

I usd to use it but not really a fan. It eats away the hair with all those garage floor cleaning ingredients :crazy:

I had read that it's basis is that it minimally stops DHT but I noticed by just using SLS freeand harsh chemical free shampoos my sebum production( which is linked to the whole DHT thing) had slacked off tremendously. I've been going "harsh chemical" free for about a month now so i guess we shall see

I have a couple bottles of 2% that I finally threw away :shakehead:

7. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, I only use it about 2 times a week. I use my regular Bumble + Bumble shampoo and then leave that on while I apply the nizoral to my scalp. That way it doesn't destroy my hair so much, I hope!!

8. Hey Sherry. Thanks for taking one for the team and being our guinea pig. ;)

What is your hairloss like right now? Shedding or just a slow gradual thinning over the years?

9. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

The pictures you see are from hairfall over the years. MY hair has always been thin and fell out easy but has sped up the past 2 years. I also wanted to mention I started takng 975mg ferrous sulfate daily, about 6 months ago . My ferritin was at 4 and I haven't done an update yet since I started the ferrous sulfate. We are going to do a check in a few more months. I WILL say, although my hair still falls out ALOT.. my body can now actually function since starting the ferrous sulfate regimen. It was so bad I would be too exhausted to do much all day and only get up to do what I HAD to do then lie back down

10. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Just got my confiration email that the lower strength RETIN A product I ordered has been shipped so i should be starting my "TRIAL" soon :)

11. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Some more pictures to get an idea of what I am starting with :shakehead:

Quite embarassing but I figure I will post anyways because I know when people post pix it really helps .

I usually wear my hair pulled back so it doesn't look bald . I know you all are thinking"why doesn't she cut those strings.... but HONESTLY if i cut it's WORSE!!!!!. At least I can have an "illusion" if cover the spots with my strings.

SO FREAKING EMBARASSING :crazy:

Attached Files:

12. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Re: Follow me using Retin A and PT Hairfall (pictures)...START

OK HERE we go. Everything arrived this afternoon. It took 3 weeks which is unusual. It usually takes 1-2- weeks . Oh well. at least it got here.

Right now going to start with the PT hairfall solution 2x a week and use the retin A ONLY on my frontal for now, incase all my hair falls out...HAHAHAHAHA. I'm going to stop all my other goofy rituals because I want to see how these two products work and don't want to get confused.

13. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Just a bit of an article I found:

Product Name : Retin-A and Stieva-A Forte (Tretinoin)

Retin-A has 3 main uses

It is used in the topical treatment of acne vulgaris
    It is used in treating the visible signs of ageing and can diminish the lines on the face and can help in fading age spots
    It is also used to help enhance the effects on minoxidil for the treatment of alopecia or hair loss

Topical tretinoin appears to increase the beneficial effects of minoxidil, and it is thought that this is due to increased absorption of minoxidil through alteration of the stratum cornum barrier.

One study showed a triple absorption with 0.05 tretinoin as compared with a control vehicle.

Does Retin-A assist in hair growth?
    Tretinoin is sold under the trademark Retin-A. Retin-A was originally used in the treatment of acne and other skin disorders. Studies have shown however that Retin-A alone or in combination with minoxidil can result in moderate to good hairgrowth in individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata.

Retin-A has been shown to effect cell proliferation and vascular proliferation. Studies have shown that Retin-A alone can result in good to moderate hairgrowth. The effect that Retin-A or Tretinoin has on growing hair is even more enhanced when used in combination with topical minoxidil. Dr Adam Lewenberg who markets a combination of minoxidil and tretinoin which is known as the Lewenberg formula carried out studies and recorded results of treatments carried out on patients. Dr Adam Lewenberg treated 484 people with a mixture of topical minoxidil and tretinoin. After two years of treatment "cosmetically satisfying" results were obtained in about 90% of these people. In an article written by Dr Lewenberg about his studies, Dr Lewenberg noted the following.

Unlike Minoxidil which effects on the vertex of the scalp, the combination of Tretinoin and Minoxidil results in hair growth in all regions of the scalp.

Also maintenance therapy requires less frequent and smaller doses of the combined medication.

The third point that Dr Lewenberg noted is that the combination treatment of topical Minoxidil and Retin-A is highly effective in women.

14. kimm

kimm Guest

good luck sherryberry. I have my fingers crossed for you!

15. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

WEll I learned i need a showercap on the days i use PT hairfall. I spent the whole night awake from the CRINKLING :shakehead:

LOL I don't own a shower cap ... so I used a plastic grocery bag tied around my head to kep the grease off my pillow.

16. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Where did you get that info on retin-A and hair regrowth? Do pharmicists regulary make minoxidil/retin-A combos? Has anyone tried this??

17. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

I tried to go back and find the site... but I coldn't find it.

I did however find this interesting bit of info talking about the mix.....

How to use Rogaine with Retin-A?
    This can be tricky. As stated above, you can not just mix Rogaine in with Retin-A. If you have purchased precombined Rogaine and Retin-A, apply it as instructed. If you purchase them separately, they must be applied at separate times. Some people apply the Retin-A and then the Rogaine, some the Rogaine then the Retin-A. Some find if they apply one after the other it causes irritation. You have to find what works for you. The general theory is that you should apply one, wait until the solution has dried COMPLETELY (usually 15-30 minutes), then apply the other. You still have to apply Rogaine twice per day. Whether you apply Retin-A twice per day is up to you, however it is not recommended that you use Retin-A in sunlight. If you do not experience itching or scaling by applying twice per day, go for it. Most people apply Retin-A, then Minoxidil, under the theory that the Retin-A will increase absorption of the minoxidil.

18. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

UPDATE

My very front is getting some sprouties... but that's about it.

i'll try and post some pix.

19. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Here is a picture of my new hairs. Just look by my fingernails to see a few. It's about 1/2 inch of growth. it looks longer in the photo because the angle but it is actually almost 1/2 inch. My BIO hair(what I have left) has been growing very fast the past few months " i guess" because the iron I'm taking but this is the first bit of NEW growth. the rest of my hair it's still falling out ike crazy. i am only applying the Retin A to the frontal area.
    By the way... my nails are growing like weeds also since the iron. i have to file them down once a week alot. I file them short just to the ends of my finger and by the end of the week they look LONG again :dunno:

Attached Files:

20. so-lost

so-lost Guest

:bravo: Yea! Sprouts!!