Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Follow me using Retin A and PT Hairfall (pictures)

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by SherryBerry, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Re: Follow me using Retin A and PT Hairfall (pictures) NEW PIX

I was thinking I had some temple regrowth.... then I went back to my before pix and realized i had LESS hair. Aparantly i had more loss and then what you see now is regrowth on the new stuff i lost

STUPID HAIR... I give up.

I posted a before temple and after temple. The after is the crappy pix with short hairs

Attached Files:

2. medusa

medusa Guest

SherryBerry,
    I have those short hairs all along my hairline and at my temples but with this incessant shedding of 200/day, these babies can't keep up. :(

3. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

I'm wondering what is it about retin-a that makes it work for hairloss. Here's my thought, bear with me on this. Retin-a works by exfoliating the outer skin, thus exposing new skin at the surface. That's why it works for acne and small wrinkles. Is it just that the minoxidil is getting absorbed better by using the retin-a or does retin-a contain a chemical that actually stimulates hair growth? My ex used to use a buff puff on his bald areas to exfoliate the skin before he put the Rogaine on his head, so this is not a new idea. If that's all the retin-a is doing, then a less expensive product, such as glycolic acid or salycilic acid would do pretty much the same thing, right?

4. vcmusic42

vcmusic42 Guest

Curly, I think there is something to the use of those products for keeping the scalp clear of sebum. I don't know if I'd necessarily use something like glycolic acid on my hair, but I do know that my shed has decreased and my scalp has been less oily since I've been using the Frederick Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying shampoo. I use it about every other day (alternated with a different shampoo, these days it's Fekkai Shea Butter shampoo because I love the smell). I've had what seems like a little bit of new growth right at the top of my head, and I can't think of anything else I've changed - I still forget to take my vitamins half the time, I've never used Rogaine, and the rest of my routine is the same.

I'm not saying that it's definitely the shampoo, but I think it helps. For some, this may be too drying but because my scalp used to be oily, my theory is that keeping the hair shaft and follicle clear of sebum is what helps those little hairs come through.

I also use a conditioner called Ice Cap that contains menthol and feels tingly. Not sure it does anything beneficial, but it feels good. :)

This has been my shampoo/conditioner routine since about October 2009 (although I switch it up with a different conditioner now and then).

I use Retina-A on my face, and what it does is stimulate cell turnover (in terms of skin cells). It will be interesting to see if it helps anywhere else!

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Retinol on my face for years, but have never heard of using in for hair loss. I'll be really interested to see how this goes for you.

6. GINAA

GINAA Guest

Retin A is a form of isotretinoin.the new studies have showed it has some 5-alpha inhibitor properties.thats why they are talking about isotretinoin therapy for prostate cancer.
    wonder why it works on acne.if I go without my accutane in couple of weeks my skin gets super oily.I get small pimples on my scalp and I shed alot.
    no wonder when I stopped accutane plus going off bcp was my biggest mistake.I turned it to an acne queen with hairloss.

7. GINAA

GINAA Guest

believe me sherry I'm in the same situation I wnt on holiday and though myhair was doing ok.I even thought I had regrowth.I came back and compare pics ,well my part is getting wider and no improvement I dont know what the I was thinking.
    I think I was just happy and for 2 weeks surprisingly didnt think about my damn hairloss.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What strength of Retin A are you using? I have Retinol 60 that I put on my face every night and could easily put it into my frontal hair line.

9. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

I was using .05. I don't use it anymore , but the baby hairs i regrew in the front are still growing even though i stopped. if you go to page 2 you can see the picture. They are about 1/4 an inch longer today ,then when I posted the picture

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to give it a try. Tonight when I wash my face I'll just rub a little of the retinol into my hairline and temple area. If my solution is too strong I guess I'll figure it out rather quickly. If my face can take it surely my scalp can, at least that's my theory for now.

11. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

Retin A is different then RETINOL

http://www.smartskincare.com/smartchoic ... etina.html

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that info. I guess I didn't realize there was such a difference. A few months ago I had to have a little under the skin taken out and my derm made the comment, "I don't know what you're doing, but your skin is amazing". The only thing I could think of that I have consistently done for several years is the Retinol 60, which I order from Bio-Medic. Maybe that's not if afterall and I've just been wasting my money :(

13. SherryBerry

SherryBerry Guest

HEY.. whatever works. Maybe whatever it has, is something that works for you :)

14. MizMupp

MizMupp Guest

I hope it works for you. My friend whose daughter has Alopecia Areata gave me a bunch of Retin A samples to try but it did nothing for me. I've been told to get the 5 percent Minoxidyl but I'm afraid to try it because it says it's for men. Is that safe?

15. chrispea

chrispea Guest

MizMupp ...
    My dermatologist told me that it was better to use Rogaine for Men (5 percent Minoxidyl ). She said that the 3% (Formula for Women) basically does nothing and that the only draw back to using the 5% formula might be some hair growth on my face.
    I have used Rogaine for Men off and on for over 3 years now and at times have had hair grow around the perimeter of my face (as well as on my head). I had those rogue hairs on my face waxed off. Small price to pay for growth on my head!!
    Hope this helps

16. Marsen

Marsen Guest

Are you sure your hair loss is not due to low ferritin? 4 is extremely low by all standards.