Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

For people on a budget or considering a wig

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Porshiana, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Porshiana

Porshiana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little note. Yes you can get a nice realistic wig for under $100. I suggest before you do anything you go to a wig shop in the African American community nearest you. They are often simply called beauty supply stores but you can call ahead and ask if they sell wigs.Most do. There are two types of cheap wigs, cheaply made bozo looking wigs, and well made wigs sold at very good prices. These stores generally carry the well priced ones. These places also often carry human wigs, toppers, pieces, tracks and some high ticket brand name wigs. The employees will let you try the wigs on and help you with your selection for free whether you purchase or not (minus the $1 wig cap cost). After spending thousands over the years i walked into s beauty supply store with a friend and stumbled upon this. It was the best thing I ever found. Just in case you want to see exactly what I mean by good quality,here is one I found to be equal quality to my old $600 wigs.The brand I like which is good quality and generally under $50 is the Freetress Equal by shake n go. Their human wigs are called Milky Way. There are also many many other companies with similar quality and pricing. I would never suggest purchasing a wig online unless you have previously tried it on. However not everyone hasthis luxury, so when/ if u ever purchase online, dont go just by the companies picture. Look the wig up on google images to see it on different people and look it up on youtube where they often have full reviews. Good luck and God bless you in your journey

2. Phenix

Phenix Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Co-signing! That's exactly what I did when purchasing my first wig. We call it the local BSS (Beauty Supply Store) store. :) My first synthetic wig was from Freetress Equal and I purchased it for around $40. It looked so realistic, that folks thought it was my own hair. It's one of my favorite brands. What i've done since then is to purchase these same wigs online. There are certain sites that sell these wigs for a lot less when adding in the discount and sales. I haven't bought from a BSS in awhile. If I see a particular wig at the BSS and its costly, I'll look it up on one of my one of my trusty online sites and buy it from there. Lately, I've been wearing human hair wigs that I purchase from the Chinese vendors (cheaper in price). YT is a great place for reviews on wigs, however, some of these gals have free wigs sent to them by the vendor to review. There are others who have bought their wigs with their own money. Those are the ones I like to watch.

I think I may purchase one of my favorite Freetress wigs, Mariah for the holidays. Thanks for reminding how good this particular brand is!
    :)