Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

For those with insomnia

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by dragonfly, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I have suffered with terrible insomnia every since going through menopause, which has been about 4 years now. I can go to sleep with no problem, but I wake up within about two hours, and then about every 45 minutes the rest of the night. I've tried Ambien and other prescription meds, which help me sleep, but leave me feeling groggy and kind of out of it the next day. Well, I finally found some natural stuff that is really helping me and, assuming I'm not the only one with sleep issues, wanted to share. I've been taking two Alteril about an hour before bed, and it's really helped. Then when I wake up in the night I take another natural pill called MidNite. It's one of those melt in your mouth things (tastes like orange, but not strong), and it helps me drift back off to sleep. I don't have any side effects from them at all. It has made an amazing difference for me. I now get about 3-4 hours of good sleep before waking up, and another couple at least after taking the MidNite. I actually slept until 9:00 this morning, which is unheard of for me. It was quite wonderful for a Saturday morning :) .

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

I have insomnia, but I also have sleep apnea. Just had a CPAP titration last night and even though I basically tried to stay up the night before (aside from a 2-3 hour) I had issues falling asleep again last night at the center. They told me while I was there that if I had to come back that I could take a sleeping pill to help me sleep. Wish they would have told me that before as I definitely would have taken one for last night's endeavor. :shakehead: Anyway, I would love to find something for my insomnia. Are these prescription? Where do you buy them?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    They aren't prescription. I bought the Alteril at Walgreens, but I'm sure you can find it most anyplace. I got the MidNite at GNC, but I haven't looked for it anyplace else so it may also be easy to find in other places. When I first tried the Alteril, I was only taking one and it wasn't doing much for me. Then I noticed that the dosage is 2 tablets and now it works quite well. I'm really pleased since the prescription stuff just whacks me out. Between that and the MidNite I'm getting more sleep than I've gotten in years; still not like before menopause, but a whole lot better.

My husband had to spend the night at a sleep center recently too. Fortunately, they did tell him he could take his regular sleeping pill so he got a good nights sleep. I think a CPAP in in his future, but we haven't gotten his results back yet.