Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Fortune topper opinions

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Linwt, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies, so I've spoke with fortune and they might be the nicest people I've dealt with thus far (except for you all of course) in regards to my issues and what I need/want. Honestly, super personal and accomadating.

So with a small restocking fee they are sending a few toppers in different browns and lengths, kippa and Wefted.

I'm happy I will be able to see the quality and quantity and pick a colour and then style it. Hoping for the best. Can't afford follea right now and I'm still not diagnosed.

Anyone have any photos of theirs they could share with me? I'm really interested in seeing a person with one on, the website doesn't show much. But the part looks really nice, I'm hoping this summer I'll have some confidence, so at I'm happy that this winter has latest so long. (Far too many weddings too and everyone wants to feel pretty at a wedding right?!)

Thanks

2. oriole

oriole New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking at this Fortune topper for days, just on the verge of buying it. I am looking at the MZP 13-02 They have two other "monofilament middle part toppers, also. Would they be a better choice? They say they close from April 10 until April 23 so I am hoping to find someone that has a picture of some real person wearing this topper. Or have you owned one personally and have an opinion of their appearance and quality? Thank you.

3. Evinara

Evinara New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fortune MZP 13-02

In my opinion, having looked at the magnified view of the monofilament topper on their website, I don't think the part area is as realistic as might be had from a drawn silk "scalp" area as is offered in the "Kippah" or Mazzali topper. I purchased a Mazzali topper from them last year and have just ordered another in a slight variation of color and texture and I was very pleased with my first order.
    Either a polyurethane parting area (which some other vendors offer) or a silk parting area (the Kippah is slightly smaller than the standard Mazzali topper) I think will be more satisfactory as the knots are quite visible on the mono mesh. The Kippah will also be a little larger than the MZP 13-02.
    Re: color. Don't get a color that is darker than your desired result as it's very difficult to lighten hair as it's been processed (even minimally affects this) whereas you can always use haircolor to darken or add red tones.
    There is a very good amount of hair in their pieces and plan on going to a stylist for cutting in.
    Fortune is a pleasure to deal with.

4. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Oriole, So after dealing with fortune for the last week, they were going to send me two toppers to try with different colors and lengths, she didn't suggest the Monofilament because it is not returnable (in my case I just want to view them first and then decide which one is for me) and it isn't much hair. Which is fine with me as I don't have much anyways and I don't want people to tell.

That being said I can't get them now because I would have had to order them, then return them for $50 each restocking fee, it ended up being $1800 for two toppers then I would have had to return them and order the one I wanted, all of this would have costs me over $600 just to view them. So I may order a custom Kippah (they are lower density then the wefted) and then if it really doesn't work, then at least I'm still out $600 but with some hair to show for it. With Alopecia Areata I'm very concerned if I all of a sudden wake up and have nothing on my head at all. My next options are I contacted Flora to get a sample and then there is always ebay. I have been lurking on ebay for a couple of weeks now and I am very tempted to bid on one and then try to style it myself (which if you would see my childrens haircuts this would be a VERY bad idea LOL)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Evinara,

I'm confused on the colours too, I'm naturally a dark to medium brown, I've always dyed it a touch darker though, so with the Fortunes I was going to do with the Dark Brown with Highlights (6/8) or the Dark Brown or Medium Brown, this is really the only reason I haven't ordered yet, I don't want to mess up the colour and I am in a I'm never dying my hair again mode because a week after I dyed my hair in the summer is when my hair started falling out.

I don't have an stylist in my town and I'm trying to keep this little secret to myself and my family, no one else needs to know until I know the extent of this thing. It's not that I'm embrassed, well maybe a bit, but it's the trying to explain it to someone, then knowing all too well that within a weeks time everyone I know and they know will know about it!!!! I don't want people looking at my hair line everytike I talk with them.

Sorry I'm rambling. In your opinion, do you like the kippah over the wefted? Also with the wefted it comes with 10, I think this would be too much no? So confusing to customize the order. Plus I have to head the size of a child!

5. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would contact them to do a custom order. I worked with Ken and Ellie at Fortune and got a monofiliament top with a silk insert, the specific size base that I wanted (5"x6") with under venting around the perimeter and 7 total clips for $345. I already ordered and own the smallest of the new "custom topper" line- the "middle part monofiliament' topper- the base that looks like a maxi pad. It's really small and not a ton of hair but it's very nice hair. I got that in #4 Dark Brown and it's closer to a medium brown, in my opinion, due to the highlights that are on the red side. Anyway, for someone with only a slightly wide part, this piece could work cause it's so narrow. The base material is not a true monofiliament mesh fabric. It's a poly-something or other that is not porous. However knots don't show so that's a plus. These ones are an affordable option for sure, especially for someone who is new to toppers.

6. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi CKing, ok so you think the dark brow resembles a medium, I was looking at the #4/6-drk base with dark highlights, I might just go for the dark one, the medium looks nice too but I was concerned it would be too light. They are off for the next two weeks now :( I was working with Ellie.

- - - Updated - - -

Monofilament caps, what does this mean? I've been lurking on ebay and there are some really nice ones, but the main ones I want are yaffa european monofilament caps (yes it's a full wig but I feel I may need one on hand in case)

7. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Based on the one I received in the color #4- I think it looks more like a medium brown with darker and redder highlights. It was super pretty, just not what I view as a "dark brown". I have a synthetic one from Jon Renau that is my current every day topper and it's more of a basic brown- no major highlights or anything. The new Fortune custom topper I just ordered I chose the #2. I am nervous about it but the #4 was just too light for me, so I dyed it, which was a pain in the butt. So...we will see.

What color hair is your bio hair? The Fortune #4 does have really nice highlights and it's not too dark.

A monofiliament top is the material and construction of the base. It's a mesh-lace type material that is made to show your natural scalp through it. So you'd part your bio hair and part the topper to match and put the topper part right on top of your natural part, and your natural part shows through.

Attached Files:

8. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my gosh, that's so pretty. I'm thinking it might be light for me too. I'm worried I go too dark then I can't change it, even though I like the ombré look right now though, so i might be able to fix the problem, but you did say it was a pain to dye it.

Thanks so much for the photo, it looks great.

i also don't know anyone that can cut it for me, I'm in ottawa, ON, canada. I was hoping to get them to cut it for me, with a side sweep band, but I'm nervous that they'll screw it up. Plus after my attempts on my kids, I should stay far way from scissors. The yaffas on ebay are precut and look beautiful, but she doesn't seem to sell toppers, just wigs, and I'm hoping that it is truly 100% VEHH. Ratings seem good though.

9. Joy736

Joy736 Guest

Hi y'all. I thought I would jump in here since I just received my first Mazali wefted topper from Fortune. They are really nice to deal with. I wanted a medium brown without reddish tints, which is hard to find. So, I chose the color 6/4. It looks like a dark chocolate brown. There are light tints especially under a light. It doesn't look almost black like some dark browns I've received in the past. My bio hair is about a shade lighter so I might color bio to match or add highlights to the piece. I have had my stylist highlight toppers for me that were too dark in the past. The problem is the highlight color came out reddish even though she was going for more blondish highlights. But, it worked for me anyway so I didn't mind. I have been told that it is easier to get a piece that is too light and darken it. We did that with another topper that was way too light. My stylist pulled out light pieces to keep as highlights then added lowlights all over to darken the piece. That worked well.

In the past I have purchased several Yaffa toppers over the years. Then, I tried KiKis for the past 2 toppers. None of them lasted very long, all less than a year. For this reason I don't buy the more expensive European hair. Instead, I look for the Asian/Mongolian that is processed to look European, i.e., it has a finer texture. I usually pay between $600 and $800 for them. The KiKis were my favorite up to this point but I found that the hair would thin out on the top where I pull it with a blowdryer brush to style it once a week after washing. I ended up with bald spots on my KiKis within about 8 months. I still liked them the best so far because the silk they use for the "scalp" looks very realistic, just like skin to me. The balding issue came from my styling techniques. However, my main problem with them is that they are going more toward the European hair now and don't want to sell non-European anymore, it seems. I have called and been told they have some in stock but I haven't been able to get anyone to send pics of the base and when I mentioned the 4 base types on their website the people I talked to had no idea which ones were which. I tried to reorder one but had to give up after days of calling and waiting for emailed pics that never came. They just didn't seem interested in working with those pieces, maybe the price just isn't worth it to them.

I ordered the Mazali from Fortune and they were very helpful. I found that the wefted piece had way too much hair for me. I ordered the wavy because I planned to have it cut in layers and blow dry with the round brush to smooth it. I find that the straight Asian/Mongolian pieces (from the other vendors I've tried like Yaffa and KiKi) tend to hang straight in my face and the hair is harder to style and won't stay where I put it, even with a ton of hairspray. So, I tried the wavy piece. There isn't too much wave and I can tell it will style well. I sent it back to have half of the weft lines removed. They cut them and sewed the edge and the clips back on. Now, with only 6 weft lines I still find it's too much hair. My natural hair has always been very fine and thin and I am used to small toppers that average around 4" X 5" or 5" X 6" or so. I'm planning to send it back for another 3 or 4 weft lines to be removed. Next time I will do a custom order since I will have a better idea of what I am looking for. I think this piece would be beautiful with layers and would look nice and full but anyone who knows me would be able to tell I was wearing something since my bio hair and the toppers I've worn have always been so much thinner than this piece.

I can say this for this Fortune Mazali topper:

The color 6/4 is a nice rich chocolate brown.
    The scalp material is one of the most realistic I have ever seen.
    The hair texture feels really nice - not as fine as some I have seen and not as coarse as others.
    They are a pleasure to work with.

The only issue I think I will have once I have the extra wefts removed is with the very front hairline. I don't like wearing bangs and prefer to part it on the side and have some separation in front. But, I think the very front of the hairline will be visible where the silk ends and my scalp begins if I don't at least style it with wispy bangs all the way across the front. I will be able to do that so I'm sure this piece will work for me once I get those extra wefts removed and have it cut and styled to look even thinner so it blends with my usual style.

The only reason I didn't try the Kippah topper was the very straight front hairline. It looked like those front edges would be hard to work with. I asked about that and the person I spoke to said the Kippah is better placed behind the front hair line so your bio hair is in front.

BTW, what I liked about the KiKi topper was that there was so much hair along the hairline that the edge/rim of the base wasn't visible no matter how I styled it in front. I did find with the Yaffas and i think also with this Fortune Mazali I will have to at least have wispy bangs across the front to disguise the rim. But, I am picky and tend to look at it in bright sunlight under a microscope to make sure nothing is visible, ha ha. I hope this info helps.

- - - Updated - - -

One more comment. That picture posted above by CKing looks about 2 shades lighter than my 6/4 dark chocolate brown. I wonder what happened? A 4 should be darker than my piece not lighter. To me, that color looks more like a 6/8 or maybe just a 6? Maybe their colors aren't very uniform?

10. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you joy736,

thats very useful information. I too do not want any red, I will have to specify this as I think that a lot of them have a red tinge. The 6/4 is still the one I want but worried about the highlights. I don't have a stylist either so I'm getting them to cut in side sweep bangs, I've got photos to send though.

I was going to with the kippah because it has less density, but I too do not like the hair line, that's why I was going to cut in bangs. I too have naturally thin hair and people will notice big time if I just suddenly have more hair. The wefted one I heard is heavy, I don't understand wefts, how many would you ask for? Like five? I have a tiny head too and I LOVE wearing ponytails, this is going to be quite the transision. I'm glad they are off until next week, I'm still pondering now on the exact one I want. Plus I'm in canada and with duty and shipping its getting pricey! Damn hair! Grow already ;)

11. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Linwt

In UK we can claim back the duty and VAT if you wear wigs for medical reasons, we fill in a form from Customs and excise may be worth contacting them and asking

12. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    No way? I have the biospy results, I will need to look into that. I actually live an hour from the border so i sometimes purchase things and pick them up in the states, then drive back. I think for this purpose i may do this again. They'll have photos of me without hair on the way there, then on the way back with coupious amounts of flowing locks. Bahahaha. I only get $250 for life for a wig for cancer reasons. I might try to fight that one too, but I'll only get $250 once right. Jeppers!

Also, once I do get it, what, in your minds, is the best way and products to use to wash it. I was thinking of washing once a week or every ten days, depending on the amount I wear it, I'm more concerned because I've washed my human hair extensions before and they came out yucky and course. I used baby shampoo because that's what I had close to me from my kids. Then I rubbed some Mongolian oil on them, they were next quite the same, but then again I think that I had curled them a few times too.

13. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I ordered from Fortune, they used FedEx, and they do the paperwork for shipping to Canada so that the piece arrives without FedEx asking me for any Duty. Maybe you need to talk to Fortune on the phone to make sure the person "doing the paperwork" does it in that way.

- - - Updated - - -

About washing-use sulphate free shampoo and a conditioner with Moroccon oil-such as Live Clean Argan Oil conditioner. And don't was too often. Probably we overwash our pieces.

14. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks askalice, I'll be sure to ask about that.

15. Joy736

Joy736 Guest

I read about this topper (link is below - hope it works) on another thread and wish I had tried this one instead of the Fortune. The Fortune is really nice hair and they are great to deal with but this topper looks like it might work better for me. This Milano company seems to use a different base type for each of their different lengths for some reason. I like the look of the base on this 14" piece but it's just a bit shorter than I usually wear. However, I like the lace front on this one and I think if there is a way to sew clips on the front or maybe use tape just at my natural hairline it might work nicely. With the lace front the hair should be able to be worn off the face. This one doesn't look like it would be too much hair.

I took my Fortune wefted piece to my hairdresser who works with wigs, etc. and asked her to cut off another 3 or 4 wefts so I will end up with maybe 3 or 4 wefts total beyond the base. After Fortune took off 5 or 6 wefts from the original piece it was still too much hair. I have a small head so I think this will work better with just 3 or 4 wefts. My stylist will still have to cut it to reduce some of the bulk but layers should work for that. I just wish I had seen this Milano Emerald before. I would have tried this because it doesn't look like it will need as much altering, just a trim to blend with my own hair. I will order one of these next and see if it works better.

http://www.mcwigs.com/wigs/topper-1/emerald.html

16. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I spoke to Milano a couple of weeks ago because a friend had some questions. So just to remind all, they need 6-8 weeks, because their toppers are not in stock, they get made up as they get ordered. Also, they don't have the EHH option as they do in their wigs.

But for sure, check again when you talk to them, in case there has been a change in policy.

17. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wish that Milano would send out samples or accept returns. They said that they'd send me some real photos but I received nothing yet.

I just yesterday tried on a Fortune Wefted and a Kippah, they are nice but for me, the wefted was a nicer fit but too much hair and dare I say, too shiny! I will now need to figure out the whole VEHH thing as my hair is just too fine, I'm perplexed as I don't live close to anyone who sells any and then I will need it styled. I saw some very nice ones prestyled on Ebay (yaffa) but are $1000 no return .... I'm not a gambler!!!!

Plus my head is super tiny, everything will need to be custom.

If I get the fortune wefted I will need bangs cut in and less wefts, but with Diffuse Alopecia Areata, I'm not sure of my future.... just save up and see flora I suppose and purchase a cheaper one for an emergency if anything happens.

18. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    The shine will disappear when you wash it, they often coat the hair to make it shiny! Fortune are generous with the hair on their wigs, styling makes a huge difference I just received bought another wig off them that they styled!

19. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Dancer,

I honestly believe that I will be going with them due to their customer service alone, they are so nice and will try to do anything I need them too.

Thanks for letting me know about the shine, that worried me.

20. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ordered! It's done, it's custom, no going back now! Whether this is something that will work well or not as my condition is a little tricky at the moment, that I will find out soon enough, but I'm happy, feel a little bit of weight off my shoulders. I tell ya, that was a really bloody hard task, I'm really hoping it looks good, specially since I'm getting them to style it from a photo . I'll post a photo when it comes in and I get a handle on it. Thanks for all the posts, it is greatly appreciated.