Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Going in for my procedure next week! Tips?

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by Birdy12, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Birdy12

Birdy12 Guest

Hey all, I'm new around here and I feel like I couldn't have found this site soon enough. I've gotten such tremendous information from you all that I decided to take the plunge and start meeting with a doctor to figure out exactly what my options are. I did tons of research on this company called National Hair Center and found it to be the best option here in Phoenix. I was completely nervous when I went down there and I really can't say enough about how comfortable their staff made me feel. Dr. Barry Weiss had won several awards and seemed to be pretty renowned in the field of hair transplantation but when I actually met him I was even more convinced that he was not only an expert in transplantation but a really kind man who cared about helping his patients look and feel their best. I'm scheduled to go in for my procedure next week so I feel really good about everything but if you have any tips or reccomendations that helped you through the procedure please let me know. I will be sure to share my experience after also.

In kindness and hope,
    Bird

2. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Birdy, i don't have any info. for you because i'm not familiar with this process, but maybe someone else here might be able to help :)

Good luck with the procedure and definitely let us know how it goes!

3. Pearl

Pearl Guest

Welcome Birdy. I'm sorry, I don't have any tips either. I have considered surgery over the last couple of years and researched it a bit, but I didn't get too in depth. You sound really well prepared in your selection - good for you! So glad you were able to find a good doctor and staff. I look forward to hearing about your experience. Best of luck!

4. treleno

treleno Guest

Hi Birdy,
    I've had the surgery twice - the first from a plastic surgeon who did not specialize in HTs, and the 2nd from one of the most renowned hair transplant surgeons in NY - not sure if you saw my post and pictures which is under the Laser Transplant topic beneath this one. The procedure itself really isn't bad at all. You don't feel the scalp incision in the back because of the numbing injections you'll get first and the same goes for "punching or slitting" of the holes he'll make on top. You'll feel that he's doing something up there, but not pain because of the injections you'll get first. (the injections do sting - sorry! Just do deep breaths beforehand and you should be fine.) On my 2nd surgery, the nurses said to make sure I told them when the injections were wearing off and she would give me more. When they were implanting the follicles ,from time to time I felt the pain meds wearing off so she would inject me again. I would say that if you can tolerate a bit of discomfort then to hold off on getting more numbing injections because all that fluid builds up in you and it will cause major eyelid and forehead swelling in the 2-3 days after surgery. You'll most likely have the forehead swelling anyway, but I only experienced the eyelid swelling after the 2nd surgery and they said that was from all the pain med injections. My eyelids were swollen so fat I had a hard time seeing for a day or two and kept ice on them frequently to reduce it. You'll most likely watch a movie or TV during the procedure which helps take your mind off what's happening and it makes the time pass more quickly. Just follow his post-op directions to the tee and plan on not seeing anyone outside your home for a few days. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have great results! Unfortunately I didn't either time which is why I've moved onto a topper. How many grafts are they projecting for you? Please keep us updated and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Good luck!
    Terry

5. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Hi Treleno,

Did you experience "shock-loss" after your transplant procedure?

I heard this to be true in the majority of cases.

Does the loss regrow?

Thank you for your reply.

HA

6. treleno

treleno Guest

Hairyape,
    Look at my pix in the previous post (laser hair translant) and you'll see the shock loss. The doctor from my first hair transplant said not to worry about shock loss. The 2nd doctor said to expect it, and as you can see by the pix, yes, it does occur and could have you looking worse off for awhile as it did to me. Some hair did grow back in though it's hard for me to know whether it was the shocked hair coming back in or the transplanted hair. Though even after the one year mark, I didn't have any more hair than I began with. And over the years it has gotten progressively worse to where my whole top (about a 5 x 5 inch area) is basically "old man baldish" looking. So that's why I went with a topper at the end of April and couldn't be happier. (well, that's somewhat of a lie. Of course I'd be happier with a thick head of bio hair but since that's not gonna happen, this is the next best thing for me.) In fact, last night I shocked myself and my husband by uttering the words " I like my hair now!". He said, "well it's about time. God forbid you listen to what I've been telling you for the last 6 weeks!". So I think I've turned a corner mentally. :)
    Terry

7. Birdy12

Birdy12 Guest

Hello all, thank you so much for your support - I had my procedure yesterday and am now recovering at home. I can't say enough how kind my doctor was in supporting me throughout the surgery. It wasn't painful at all, just some slight discomfort. I'm still resting but I will be back in a few days to recap. Dr. Weiss and the staff at National Hair Centers made all the difference to me - I am not sure if I mentioned this but I am a younger woman (mid 20's) so I was certainly very nervous about doing anything surgical but I feel that Ihave made the right choice so far.

Thank you all

8. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I'm anxious to follow this story through to the end with satisfactory results!

You certainly were brave to decide on surgery and I'm looking forward to hearing about a successful outcome.

Best wishes!

HA