Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Good news... Probiotic

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Cyndee, May 22, 2012.

1. Cyndee

Cyndee Guest

So my hair has basically stayed in recovery mode. It has been since August since I last shaved my head. My hair is about 4 inches long, but you wouldn't know it because it's flippin curly! It was wavy before the loss, but now it's curly. I have a few spots here and there that are bald, but it's hard to see them.

My good news though. I switched my gastroenterolgist... This one listened to my symptoms. He put me on a daily probiotic - not Activia. This one is medical and kept in the fridge.

It has been almost miraculous. He believes I am NOT lactose intolerant and encouraged me to try white wine (when a sip of alcohol the night before was keeping me home from work the next day). I was reluctant, but when a doctor tells me to drink wine, I must oblige, right? :youbet:

It really has been the answer so far. I can drink milk, eat ice cream, drink wine. Haven't tried 'liquor' or my other no-no spaghetti/chili.

Not to mention I don't feel so TIRED all the time now. I was waking up after 8 hours and needed a nap. I have ENERGY again!!

So, I know it isn't in regards to my alopecia so much. However, all these internal stomach and strange issues started popping up the same time as my alopecia. I am led to believe that they are related. The docs that think alopecia is tied to stress or an emotional event - maybe they should consider the stress or shock of ones body actually changing. I don't doubt that it could be 'mental', but I say to consider the body's role as well.

2. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thats Great!!! :bravo: I was told this week by my Gyno to take a Pro B, is that the same thing? Just in pill form?

3. Sunflower25

Sunflower25 Guest

Were you having issues with Activia? Or in general?

4. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Cyndee! Glad to hear that the probiotic is helping you. Which one is it? My doctor prescribed me Culturelle, and that hasnt helped me much.

In my case the hair loss has been going on for 10 years. The digestive issues only started this January, when I got my wisdom teeth extracted and the surgeon gave me antibiotics which wiped my stomach off all the good cultures. Have had problems ever since.
    Waiting for the name of your miracle probiotic!

5. Cyndee

Cyndee Guest

This is VSL#3. http://www.vsl3.com

My issues were in general - but my doctor said Activia was (in my words) a joke. I was trying it, but it didn't help. He said there is no regulation to it and it only contains one strain of Pro-B.

My first 'sample' from my doctor was little satchets that had powder in them that you mix in food. I would do 1/2 to 1 packet per day (I found that 1/4 packet didn't do the trick).

I used that all up and he had given me the same brand in capsule form which I started last week. I'm not so sure I like it as well, but I'll give it a good try.

He also gave me another brand to try out, but I forget the name and it's in the fridge at home.

My hubby went through a round of antibiotics and was told the probiotics from a health store would be fine for him to rebuild. They didn't work for me. I extended my weekend stay this past weekend and had to use his because I didn't bring enough of mine- I could tell the difference. I felt back to my crappy self.

Bad news is the price. Looks like it will cost me $86 a month for this stuff. Insurance doesn't cover it for some reason. But I will use my HSA for it at least.

6. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks.. that helps. Can you give me the name of the other one that your doctor recommended, and also the one that didnt work for you.

I am doing an analysis of all probiotics to decide which one works best. Thsi si the first time I am hearing a first hand account. They are all on the expensive side, so its hard to try them all.