Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Got hair cut

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Mane_Trouble, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Mane_Trouble

Mane_Trouble Guest

I got my hair cut on Friday. I wish I hadn't. The hair stylist went a bit overboard in chopping layers in. Unfortunately my sides have thinned out so much that it just was not a good idea. Anyway I have this mussy pixie-do (think Tinkerbell) that I cannot tame now for anything. I am fairly disappointed. I steeled myself for this cut in the hopes that it would make me look and feel just a bit better to have more body with a slightly shorter hairstyle, but it just looks worse and I am more self-conscious than ever. My boyfriend tried to reassure me it would grow quickly, and all I could think quietly is I wonder how much thinner it will look when it does grow out. Kinda sad right now.

2. what now

what now Guest

I had mine cut recently i only asked to have the ends cut and a bit of a tidy up nothing drastic.She cut it too short.and now my thinning area on the crown looks terrible under bright light :cry: It took all my courage to go and now thats shattered i wont be having it cut for a good while now.

3. leg366

leg366 Guest

hi

I was so pissed at the last haircut that I have not gone in over a year. why do they always do that? I don't trust any of them anymore. they don't get it- our hair doesn't grow like other people's. It took likr 8 months to undo the damage she did.

Leg

4. AsianG

AsianG Guest

I"m so terrified of hair dressers these days....I can't believe that I actually used to Enjoy that experience! I think back to when I had hair and how envious the hair dressers were of how wonderfully dense it used to be.... Anyways, now I simply don't have you girls' courage to go....so instead I cut my own hair :shock: No layers, nothing fancy, just a straight cut all the way around.

5. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Before I had extensions I would make my friend cut my hair with kitchen scissors rather than go into a hairdressr

Though I have to say I used to suffer big panic attacks at the hair dressers now I have to sit in a chair for three-four hours while they pull and tug at it

6. scoobe

scoobe Guest

hair cuts

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has the fear of going for a hair cut. I did finally find a hairdresser with the same problem as all of us and that was great but then when I went back it was under new management and I cannot find her anywhere. Luckily my stepmom cuts hair and only TRIMS the ends and long layers, she also undercuts the back for fullness.

7. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

You know what, I work in the industry and I will NOT go to the hairdressers either! I get my husband or my mum or even my neighbour for Gods sake, to trim me up. I don' have anything fancy - good job.

I think the key to it again is communication. You need to pop by one day and just have a chat. Say you are nervous and explain why and tell them exactly what you want and don't want! If you feel they are understanding, book an appointment and specify it must be with them and book it at a QUIET TIME!

When you turn up, explain again in detail what you want and don't want. Even if they say you need 2" off - say, if she takes 2" off you will not be happy - the most you want off is 1". tell them - you are paying their wages.

When she has finished, tell her honestly what you think and if you are not happy SAY SO. At the least you will get a free cut.

There are great salons out there - if you can get a recommendation, but always have a consultation before and always make sure they know what you want.

8. scoobe

scoobe Guest

hair cuts

Thanks for the insight. I had never thought about having a consultation before hand. It's just embarrassing especially when they have to wet it down and you can see the scalp. Thanks for your input.

9. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I know...you need to get a feel for the person who is doing it (not literally! Ooh er...) You need to be able to trust them and feel comfortable with them before you let them loose on your hair.

10. lorraineC

lorraineC Guest

i dont know who to go to now!!!!!!!!!!!

i used to go to this girl who is wicked at cutting hair, normalish hair.... thick hair.... and she styled mine brilliantly a few yrs ago... but now with my thinin hair i did state to her to not cut too much off, or cut in too much of a fringe (yeah its thin but i need hairb to actually cover rest of my head too!!!) but no....she broguht even more of my long hair forward n chopped it off... i cant blame her too much i guess...she was tryin her best for my sort of hair i reckon.... but i just wish there were some hair dressers that actually do have a good understanding of girls with long fine hair wtih diffusing loss like mine

the otehr prob is tht this hair dresser is sort of a friend, well shes a friend of a friends, so if i returned now id be too embarrassed, plus she'd no doubt tell my friend about my hair condition :(

so now i am just putting off a hair cut thats badly in need...

11. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

If you are not far from me I'd be happy to do it for you. As part of my job I'm a qualified hairdresser.

12. lorraineC

lorraineC Guest

yeah i might have to definatly come see you sally! plus for a consultation on a possible topper too becuase this is getting out of hand now

thing is i live in Birmingham...how fars stoke!?!!?! it be worth it though i guess :)

im off to the GPs friday, and also this stuff thats like toppik was delivered but ive got to go collect it as there was no one in for the recorded delivery!!

my hair is worse than ever :( very very terriffied now, i cant hide all the bald spots

13. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Its totally up to you. You know where I am if you need me.

We are not far away at all. I go to the big Ikea at Wednesbury sometimes and from there door to door it is 35 mins. I wouldn't charge you for a hair cut, cos I'm soooooo nice!

14. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the mussy Tinkerbell hairdo last summer--what a disaster. Scalp showing through all over the place! I keep thinking there must a miracle hairdo somewhere out there that will maximize what I have but haven't come across it yet!

15. colline

colline Guest

I find it highly amusing but awfully embarrassing the way hairdressers try to cover the balding spot. Yes it is coming out and giving me a combover is not going to change that no matter how much volumising moose you put in it.

Look we have to gear ourselves up to go to the hairdressers infact i have now opted to go to a barbers shop which is open late and has no other customers when i go in. He says nothing to me i just tell him to cut it and he does that no questions asked. I know i am a female and i should take more pride in my looks but the hairdressers experience in the past has made me feel so awful i decided i wasnt strong enough to sit by all those other lucious locks - My barber does the trick he asks no questions and i get a hair cut he never does a comb over and in 10 minutes the whole thing is done.

Painfree and emotionally okay!

16. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Sally,
    I'd fly to London to get a haircut from you! The girl that does my extensions also trims my hair and I swear that my hair is CROOKEDT.

17. 2banonymous

2banonymous Guest

I made the huge mistake of getting my hair cut Friday in hopes it would be healthier and maybe look fuller. NOT! I look even worse!!! I had a long talk with the hairdresser about my problem but he didn't really know how to handle it and I could see even he was disappointed with the result. I feel so ugly and now I can't even try to hide the thin spots with the length. The cut also took off my remaining highlights (done before my big shed) and now I know I can't get it highlighted so I look dull and drab. I started to use Toppik to cover the scalp. I thought shorter hair would make me perceive less shedding in the shower drain, but I think It's even coming out more! I'm trying everything to reduce stress and take care of my health, but my shed keeps going up and up and there's not much left. I tried rogaine for a week which I think made it worse and now I have itchy scalp. I've tried naturopathy, acupuncture, etc. I just bid for a laser comb on e-bay and it'll probably be a waste of money. I really want to die.

18. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I've read that coloring and highlighting your hair shouldn't make it worse. It doesn't seem to make my shed any worse ( though I worry every time). Maybe you could go get some highlights and that would help while you're waiting for it to grow out a bit. ::hugs ::
    I wish your hairdresser could have just said "Hey, I'm not sure how to handle this".
    But maybe give yourself a week or so. Sometimes that haircut works it's way out in a week or two.
    This is coming from the woman who once asked to have her hair cut ( and I took in a picture from three different angles) like Rene' Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair.... and walked out with a stylized version of a mullet!!

19. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Tbacchi - what a lovely thing to say - thank you. I'm a bit late reading it though as its the first time I've been on my PC since I got back from North Africa. If you ever come to the UK, come and see me. I'll sort you out and no charge! x

2banonymous - I feel very sad for you. This does seem to be quite common unfortunately and I must stress to everyone to have a consultation before hand - not on the same day you are seeing them. You need to be able to go away and think about whether you really can trust this person and not be scared to walk away and try other salons before you find the right stylist for you.

20. 2banonymous

2banonymous Guest

Redclaire,

Thanks for your supportive message! I'd give anything for even a mullet right now! : ) Well, maybe not. I'm shedding over 350 hairs a day right now, so I probably shouldn't do any coloring until I can get it down to 100. But that's good to know that it shouldn't make it worse.