Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

GREAT new hair thickening products!

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by michelesmith, Mar 20, 2009.

1. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

Ive tried two new things the past two weeks and am thrilled with how thick they made my hair look and feel, for a cheaper over the counter one is the Fructis Fortifying shampoo, body boost, fantastic, and a Burts Bees one called Very Volumizing Pomegranate and Soy shampoo and conditioner, amazing made my straw really soft, full and shiny!!!!!!!!!!

2. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Thanks Michelle Im always looking for a shampoo to make my feather-like hair a little better to deal with :)

3. cassie

cassie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Michelle

I think these products will be available in England - will give them a try!!

Cassie xx

4. medusa

medusa Guest

Hey michele,
    Did you say that at one time you were using John Freida volumizing shampoo? Someone here said they were using it so I decided to try it and I like it. I was wondering if the ones you've mentioned are even better. Anyone know? I need all the help I can get!

5. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

yes im also using the john fredia line too, i have to say i think i like the garnier a bit better for the volume, im gonna alternate between them all ........

6. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to try these. I also will alternete between these and Frieda. I love their mousse, spray and thickener.

7. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I used to love Fructus... I can't use it anymore, because none of them keep my curls, I used to use it when I straightened my hair everyday.

8. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Sadly, I find the Garnier Fructis stuff dries out my hair. :( Smells great, though, and I'm really glad that it works for you, Michelesmith!

9. I've been rotating TONS of volume products....over the past few years.....here's a 'short' list: :shock:

.......got2b stylini 24 hour hair thickener (I use this mostly at the roots, I add a small amount on a wet comb, don't overdo this stuff), John Frieda Luxurious Volume Root Booster and Volume mousse (I didn't like these at first, now they seem to be working!!??).....Matrix Amplify Full Body Texturizer (this is merely OK....despite the ridiculous high price...never again)......Pantene Volume gel (don't overdo any gels, a small amount mixed with water is usually enough on thinning hair..gels tend to weigh down thinning hair).....Fructis XXL Volume Weightless Gel (ditto for this gel, a little goes a long way).....Sunsilk Daring Volume volumizing spray, Sunsilk Daring Volume Plumping Creme (great for the ends, thickens and smoothes flyaway hair)......FX Volume Booster (this opaque lime green gel seems to have replaced the FX Fat Hair clear blue gel hair serum. Like most gels/thickening serums....don't use too much, I use this at the crown) and Dove Pro-Age volume mousse...I'm sure there are others I've forgotten....

Discontinued......well, at least at my local drugstores:
    FX Fat Hair thickening serum (clear blue gel in a small bottle)......L'Oreal Alt-Studio Up Right foam (this stuff was fantastic)......Tresemmé Volumizing Mousse (this is the old preferred volume formula....in the white tin, there's a new one, in the black tin which replaced it, it seems greasy!).....Aussie Real Volume Leave-In Volumizer (this is definitely discontinued, I got a few of these right before they changed the packaging to the purple bottles, this is in a white bottle with green and maroon lettering)....Thermasilk Volume & Shine Tonic spray (gives a nice shine and makes hair soft too).....lastly.....I hope this product isn't discontinued because it really makes my hair feel thicker and look super shiny......I've actually had people compliment me on my 'shiny hair'.....Fructis Volume XXL Root Booster....I can't find this anywhere! I'm down to my last seven bottles. I sometimes use this throughout the entire head, not just at the roots.

Most volume products are drying, that's why I rotate them. Since I work from home, I don't use products every day, when know I have to go out, I use volumizers, otherwise, my hair is clipped back in a low ponytail.

10. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

try the fructis website or i get my discontinued hair spritz at medichest.com they carry alot of beauty products that have been off the shelves for years.......

11. Thanks Michele,

Actually, I inquired at the Fructis website a few months ago, I got an email back stating it's still being made. :dunno:

My local Walgreen's is no longer carrying lots of items because they simple don't have enough shelf space to carry every product in every hair care line. They only have one small hair care aisle, where they also keep the hair dyes.

As for Rite-Aid and CVS, I don't have any answers why they no longer carry the root booster.

The local Walgreen's recently stopped carrying the fairly new John Frieda Volume line, as well as all the Fructis hairsprays and Charles Worthington Big Thick hair shampoo, it was only $2.00, so I bought two bottles. It made my hair shiny as well as feel and look thicker....buy it's very drying.

Stop & Shop supermarket had the Fructis root booster for awhile, then stopped carrying it.

"The Case of the Missing Fructis Product!!' now on MYSTERY!!

12. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Fructus is supposed to be one of the not so good products for your hair... lots of coating. I think it was fine for me when my hair was thick and I had no problems, but I'm too scared to use it now.

13. That's why I rotate all my hair care products, the shampoos as well as the volumizers, so my hair doesn't get too coated or doesn't start to reject a shampoo or style product. That's another problem with hair loss, suddenly your hair no longer reacts to the products.

Most hair volumizing products have ingredients which coat the hair to make it appear and feel thicker, that's a given, even with the more expensive products, they have to add something to create the volume. It's usually some form of silicone.

I find that the SLS and sodium chloride free shampoos tend to leave my hair limp without much volume, so I use them every other hair wash. The SLS/sodium free shampoos do make my scalp feel better though, even for a short period of time.

OR I use the SLS/sodium free shampoos just on the scalp and wash the rest of my hair with an SLS shampoo to give it volume.

This is all so exhausting.
    :(

14. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I do this too... I use my SLS shampoo kind of like a conditioner... I put it all over my hair starting an inch down from my scalp to get more volume.

15. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've just started using Nexxus' volumizing line and I'm REALLY liking what it does for my hair. My hair feels awesome and looks much thicker :punk: