Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Great News I want to Share

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by dragonfly, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I got some great news yesterday that I wanted to share. I have had osteoporosis for the past 5 years, maybe longer, but that was when I had my first DEXA scan. I took Fosomax for almost 3 years, then quit because it wasn't improving my t-scores, and I was concerned about all the potential side effects. About 6 months ago a woman who was doing some physical therapy for me told me about a product, Algaecal, that a friend of hers had taken and said it really improved her bone health, so I bought some. I got a follow up DEXA yesterday and WOW, my t-scores are really improved. I have gone from -2.7 in my right femeral neck to -2.0, and from -2.3 in my left femeral neck to -1.7. The only things I have changed is to go completely off diary as even though it is high in calcium, it is also very acidic and your body wants to be alkaline, so the bones secrete calcium to counteract the acid, and started taking AlgaeCal. I haven't seen the full report yet but those were my biggest problem areas. I'm really pleased. I had decided that if my bones had gotten any worse since going off the Fosomax a year ago, that I would start it again, but they got so much better. I just wanted to share as even though this has nothing to do with hair loss, it is definitely an issue many of us deal with.

2. maddie

maddie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's terrific news!! Congrats!! Things are improving and I hope you have a fantastic New Year!

3. farha

farha Guest

Congratulations, happy for you. :)

4. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Great News! :bravo: :mrgreen: :jump:

5. Roses

Roses Guest

That is great news!!! Many of us here have other health issues not just hairloss and it is so great when our health improves even if the hair loss doesn't.

6. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

I know people who have experienced very bad, long-term side effects from Fosamax and Boniva. I'm glad you found an alternative that actually does what you want it to do in regards to your bone density.

I have also overheard a hairdresser saying similar things concerning alkaline and acidity and that most people are way too acidic and it causes problems. Interesting about dairy. I have been drinking a lot of milk lately to soothe my burning stomach.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It is definitely interesting about dairy. I've been someone my whole life who loved milk and up until the last year drank at least 3 glasses of it every day. Now I use Almond Milk (sometimes vanilla flavored) in my coffee as it tastes good and is alkaline. I've even gotten to where I like the taste to drink a small glass now and again. Things like plain yogurt and keifer are also alkaline as they are fermented. From what I've read it's an 80/20 thing; at any meal make sure your consumption is no more than 20 percent acid and 80 percent alkaline. It definitely is working for me :) .

8. Curlylocks2

Curlylocks2 Guest

Yay -- what wonderful news, Dragonfly! I remember reading your initial post about six months ago and wondered whether you had seen any improvement. I've been trying to take supplemental Strontium for my osteoporosis but find it a struggle to take on an empty stomach, simply because my food schedule seldom leaves my stomach empty. Guess I'd better try a little harder to make it work, 'cause I refuse to take Fosamax.

Thanks so much for updating us on your impressive success; I'm just thrilled for you. (Nice to know you can help yourself without risking a dreadful list of side-effects, isn't it?)

:jump:

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I ordered my Algeacal they recommended Strontium also, which I did buy. However, like you, I haven't been real good about taking it as I eat every 3 hours and just haven't worked it in like I should. After seeing the great results I got with the Algeacal though, I am much more determined to make sure I take the Strontium too. I am just so tickled that this has worked :) .

10. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Hi,

great news!

I am torn about the dairy thing. I don't think it is very acidic, is it? I mean, it is on the acid side but unless you are one of those amazing people who can eat mostly green vegetables, I can't see that dairy would be your worst problem (from the acid point of view). If I could just give up all the sugar and tea I have it would probably be a good enough situation! LOL!

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've read, when they talk about a food being acidic it has to do with the way it metabolizes in the body, not if the food itself is acidic. For example, a lemon metabolizes as alkaline even though the fruit itself is acidic. They say that a very good bone healthy beverage is distilled water with lemon in it. I don't drink distilled water, but I do put lemon in my bottled water. I find it all quite interesting.