Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

had a hair transplant after 10 years of Androgenetic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by nevermindd, Apr 14, 2011.

1. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey there, i just posted a message to the "tell your story" topic a few days ago but because my story includes hair transplantation, i want to write here in this topic too.
    i have been Androgenetic Alopecia for 10 years and i had a hair transplantation about 2 months ago, with a successful surgeon, 1200 grafts.
    and now as you will know im in the "shock loss" period. my hair has been shedding worse than before the transplantation, so im having my worst shed ever now.
    i really need to hear from the women who had this procedure as me and passed by this "shock loss" period and had good results at the end. im so depressed if i cant ever get good results?! :(
    im also taking iron tablets and GNC nourish hair supplement for 1 month. do you recommend any other?

2. kimm

kimm Guest

Thanks for posting and welcome!

I can imagine how stressful this time must be for you! The waiting game is the hardest part with treating hair loss, no matter what route you decide on.

I know there are a couple women on here who have gone through this procedure. Most don't seem to come back for updates for some reason though.

Moviegirl is one and she does check in from time to time. Perhaps she would be a good person to reach out to? I know she's had a couple of transplants and I seem to recall that she felt they were successful for her.

Hope this helps! :)

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hope it works out. I think I would be scared to try a transplant after reading about all the shock loss stuff. Did they recommend Rogaine?

4. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you kimm, i immediately made a contact with her, she is really helpful. its the worst part to wait and see if hairs will come, its very depressing and hard to deal with. but i promise i will come back here to tell my results! (except if i have bad results then i can kill myself and cant come back here) :)

and thank you deirdre, its a hard desicion to make (surgery), but if you think a lot about it, then you may never go for it, so i didnt think about it much and went through it, i hope it comes out well!
    my surgeon recommended me to start using rogaine postop 15. day but i didnt because thats why i went through this surgery, not to use rogaine forever. but if the results dont satisfy me, then i think i may start using it...

5. Hey nevermindd, thanks for sharing your story with us!! :) I've always wondered about hair transplant whether or not it actually worked. From what I've heard individual results vary. But it's normal with any treatment of hairloss where one goes through a shedding phase. I know waiting is the worst part but its A WHOLE LOT better than doing nothing. If your doctor says to use rogaine after surgery, just to be safe I would do it. If you want you can even get the generic kind. My doctor reccomended 5% minoxil (however you spell it) and I trust her. I've experienced volume in my hair and also growth in length. I had shaved my head...(It was liberating to do so...I was just so tired of seeing my hair fall out and thin..) and surprisingly its growing fast...volume is still something I need to work on however

...But what bothered me was you saying
    I know you might have been kidding...but personally there were times I would lock myself in the bathroom look in the mirror and cry. Cry about how I was losing my hair not wanting anyone to see it. Feeling embarrassed about having to use concealers...feeling like even less of a woman because in some cultures hair is a sign of fertility in women....I would want to kill myself sometimes feeling alone and helpless...I just want you to know we're all here for you. I'm here and I know how painful and emotionally draining hair loss can be. You're not alone. I'm happy for you that you went through thr hair transplant process and I think you're very brave and strong for being proactive about your hairloss. Best wishes!! I really hope it works!!! :)

6. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you for your answer tryingtogroh89
    i will think about starting rogaine if i dont get good results from my surgery. i already knew that i was going to have shock loss because my surgeon told me that before the surgery. but anyway its sad to see thats happening.
    about this sentence i made :) yes i was kidding. but as you say, there are sometimes that i dont want to live with that hair anymore (and not live), and just as you say i sometimes dont feel like a real woman. as i see gorgeous celebrities on tv having gorgeous hair, i feel like i will never be a real woman like them. my hair is also very short, almost like you, this also makes me feel like man :( i totally understand you...
    thank you for your beautiful words and sweetly encouriging me, i will try to keep writing all my results here in the future just to inform you and help you whether to try hair transplant or not. :)

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Remember that the celebrities on TV with gorgeous hair have a lot of supplemental hair. No joke! I wish I could quit focusing on other women's hair all the time.

8. applebox

applebox Guest

Nevermindd, big hugs. I can totally relate to what you were going through as I was there last year with the shockloss. It is very tough but stay strong and as positive as you can. When you think you are going to "lose it" try focusing on the things you can control. For me, I am moving on to being healthy in other ways, eating well and getting in better shape than I ever have been. If my hair is going to look like crap and there is nothing I can do about it, I am going to work on reinforcing positives.

My hair transplant was not a success. But I did have twice as many grafts as you and the procedure took a full day. I think it is entirely possible it was too aggressive, which caused the problems for me.

Give it time, two months in is very, very early as you must know. I really do recommend you use the rogaine in the meantime to help support the growth - it's an important phase (hoping for growth) and if you have gone this far I'd just add this in to increase your odds.

I don't have the greatest news to share (i.e. success story) and will be honest about that in this forum, but if I can help in some other way feel free to drop me a line. You were very brave to do this and I wish you great success!

9. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you girls for your lovely comments
    im sorry that you didnt have good results from your hair transplant applebox , i hope i can. its very hard to wait for the results. im even not sure if i can get good results at the end. just waiting and hoping...
    i will let you guyz know my results.
    pray for me...

10. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    for an update; it has now been postop 3 months and 5 days. i am shedding more and more.
    :(
    infact, not in the areas that hairs are transplanted in, but in the other areas i am losing little miniaturised hairs. i dont know why i am having regrowth in these areas and i dont know why im losing them immediately.

11. applebox

applebox Guest

Hi Nevermindd, sorry to hear, my positive thoughts go to you!. I sent you a PM.

12. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey there
    it has now been 3 and a half months postop and im still shedding
    i also have very little baby hairs growing in the areas that i didnt recieve transplantation, but im losing them immediately on the pillow or in the shower.

another big problem is i think SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS started on the top of my scalp. i dont know why but it started 2 weeks ago. it is still there, much harder. my scalp is peeling off itself like an apple on the top, and taking the hairs with it. it seems like very big dandruffs are coming off with hairs pulling. im losing more and more hairs because of this shit so i think i wont be able to understand if my transplanted hairs are growing on the top or not. i think it happened because of my stress came from the shock loss period..
    did anybody have this problem like me?? will i have the hairs back when i recover? or did i lose these hairs forever?

by the way applebox thanks for the PM, i wrote you back, ill be glad if you answer my questions there.

13. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey
    it has now been 4 months and 10 days postop. i guess my shock loss has slowed down, but im still losing hair.
    i havent seen any transplanted new hair coming back, but i have very little tiny weak hairs coming (i think they are the surrounding hairs), but they are falling off immediately. they are so weak and tiny that they cant live and they fall off.
    i also have seborrheic dermatitis that started 2 months ago. the big dandruff crusts are coming off with the hairs pulling.
    and i dont have any transplanted hair coming back.
    im very depressed and started to panick.
    my hairs had to be coming back after 3 months, but they still didnt.
    it sucks.

14. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so sorry- that really does suck. I appreciate your sharing your experience to help the rest of us make informed decisions. We all want to believe so badly that something will help.

15. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think hair transplants are very problematic for women with diffuse hair loss. Unlike men, there really isn't a "safe" donor area. Although I have more hair at the nape of my neck, I do shed there too. I was talking with my new stylist (has been in the wig/hair piece business for 20 years) and she agreed. Maybe if you are younger and haven't had your hair decimated by menopause someone would have a better result.

16. mrm

mrm Guest

nevermindd,

i was just wondering how you are doing post hair transplant? love to hear an update & really hoping things have improved.

mrm

17. Lost

Lost Guest

Do any women have luck with hair transplants this thread is a little scary.Keeping my fingers crossed that you all do better you are very stronge ladies thanks for keeping us posted.

18. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey girls
    it has now been 5 months postop.
    my seboreic dermatitis has gone, so i feel better now. i think my seborrhea was triggered by less hygiene(because i was washing my top of the scalp very softly postop, so it couldnt clean itself and started to peel off, and also stress is a very strong trigger)

anyway im very happy that i could fight my seborrhea and its clean now, but i lost very very much hair in this seborrhea period, so i dont have much hair right now. in this period, i also saw new transplanted hairs coming but my seborrhea took them away.

if seborrheic dermatitis didnt occur on my scalp, my hair transplant results would have been better im sure. and im still 5 months postop and i still have hope
    by the way i started on nizoral 1 month ago. and im very pleased that it slowed my shed down. im losing very less hair since then. i wish i have tried nizoral before.

i have Androgenetic Alopecia and diffuse hair loss together, and i still recommend hair transplant to these women. because the transplanted hairs are growing anyway, and thats the only thing that matters.

take care you all

19. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    failure.. it has been 1 year after transplantation, and my hair is worse than before... any recommendations from the girls who had same results? because im too depressed now, dont want to live...

20. Lost

Lost Guest

OHHH!!! I am so sorry :grouphug: hairloss is such a awhful thing in itself but to go through what you did, your very brave I feel so bad that it did'nt work for you!! what did the DR. say about it all?

Miss Shannon likes this.