Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Had my first Endocrinologist appt today and I'm so confused.

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by p86, Oct 2, 2015.

1. p86

p86 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. I came across this website for the first time a few hours ago when looking up questions to ask my Endocrinologist. I was completely let down during my appointment with her. I've been diagnosed with PCOS and am currently not on birth control (was only on it for about a year in 2012) and have always assumed my thinning hair was due to a hormonal imbalance.

She wrote down a lot of blood work for me to get done tomorrow morning, but she said that if my results come back normal, I probably don't have PCOS and my hair thinning is due to something else. Does this sound right to you guys? I told her I did some research and think I have Androgenetic Apolecea, but she didn't give me any information about hair thinning at all. She told me I might have a type of PCOS that is affected by weight gain and weight loss, since I've currently lost some weight and am having regular periods. My hair has been thinning for years now (got worse than ever in the past few months) and I've had an irregular period and all the symptoms of PCOS (other than acne) since I was 16, so I just really believe it's hormonal.

I asked her if there was any other way to diagnose PCOS other than blood work and she said no, but why did my previous doctor tell me to get an internal ultrasound to see if I still had it? I'm so confused. I guess my first step is getting the lab work done, but I feel like I didn't get any answers from her at all. I feel like I won't know what my next step should be if my results come back normal.

2. Bald eagle 1996

Bald eagle 1996 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What did you find out about your results? Any answers? I think you need to see your GYN for an ultrasound of ovaries to help diagnose PCOS, they can see cysts with that. You may want to see a derm for a scalp biopsy to determine if this is really androgenic alopecia. Unfortunately hair loss for women is quite complicated. Keep us posted and I pray you find answers and relief very soon.

3. p86

p86 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, thank you so much for responding! I was beginning to think that nobody would. I don't have my results yet, but I'll call on Monday to see if they've come in. I guess that once I get my results, depending on the findings, I'll make appts with a derm and a gyno to check out everything else.

4. Bald eagle 1996

Bald eagle 1996 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there p86, just checking in on you, any results? I hope you are ok and have good news. :) Hey you would prob get more responses if you posted in the Tell Your Story section. There's more traffic there.