Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Dye

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Wolf924, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi All:

As you all know I went through a TE from October-Feb. Lost about 40-50% of hair from chronic illness and hormone imbalance. Shedding is usually not so bad now--maybe 30-60 a day, sometimes way less, but that is an average. I do see some regrowth. My hair does look better.

As we all tend to do, I only got it trimmed once in 8 months because I was terrified to go to a salon. It has not been colored since August. It looks drab in color and it needs a trim, so I booked a color and cut for tonight. I have dark brown hair so I wanted to do a deep eggplant-NO BLEACHING. Just an overall color. Of course, I am terrified. Do you think its OK to color it now? Am I being paranoid? I just am feeling overall better about my hair and want it to look nicer.

2. WittsEnd

WittsEnd Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think hair color has anything to do with hair loss. It comes from within you not out. Get your hair colored & youll feel better

3. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that comment!

4. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that colour won't make your hair fall out or anything Wolf. I had mine coloured in February; nothing happened except that my scalp really burned when she put me under the heat. Maybe they don't do that where you live, but they do it here I guess to process the colour more effectively. That being said, if you can get a hold of any Rene Futurer products where you are, I really like them. They are pricey but effective. One in particular is a Complexe 5 weekly treatment; basically an oil that you massage into your scalp and then shampoo out with their Forticea shampoo. I used mine today and even the new growth is fluffed up considerably.

5. Topcat

Topcat Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I have been having my hair coloured for years and my shedding seems to be in cycles regardless of having my hair coloured, if anything for me colouring up the grey roots makes me feel better and my hair look a bit thicker near the scalp for a couple of weeks.

6. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good question as I wanted to know if getting highlights would make my hair shedding worse? I have been shedding since May 2014 after stopping BCP. It has been confirmed by dermatologist that I have TE. It has been 11 months now!

7. beelum

beelum Member

Dislikes Received:
    hair dye can make your hair drier which can cause breakage when wet or tangled so be sure to moisterize your hair really well. Also, ive heard dye makes the hair shaft i appear thicker (is that true)? i had my hair dyed a deep chocolate brown, a shade lighter than my natural colour from 2003 -2011. now my hair is dye free but feels oilier and limper than what it was when it was dyed. does dye make it look thicker ? more voluminous? or was i just imagining things lol

8. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    I got mine done and I have to say it looks miles better, feels better, is softer and I am glad I did it. I had her her an organic, all natural dark dye. She also cut off like 3" which made it look fuller. It is still abut 4" below my shoulders, so its long. I also had a deep conditioner. The conditioning made me shed more, but it was going to come out anyway....

9. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it amazing how a good color & cut can just lift your spirits so much?? I've been holding off on the salon as well, but I just had to go today. My stylist did a terrific job and I left there with such a big grin on my face. I went to the market and actually smiled at everyone, without worrying about what my hair looked like! It's worth it if we feel better ourselves.

Stacey: I think highlights are fine to get, as long as the stylist does not apply the bleach near your roots. The highlights can actually help make your hair look thicker.

10. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Noalini, It is something which I have been putting off for ages as I am too scared!! What would the bleach do? I have asked to get a high lift colour, will that damage my hair?

11. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Stacey: I'm not a complete expert on this, but I remember asking my hair stylist about this before and he said that if bleach gets down into the roots, it can get into the hair shaft and ultimately weaken the strand. But, I'm not 100% sure. Sorry, I'm not certain what a high lift colour is. Do you go to a certain salon regularly? If you're nervous, you could speak with the stylists and express your concerns. If they're professional, they'll want to put you at ease and let you know what process they use, chemicals, etc. Good luck and I hope it works out and looks fabulous!

12. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used to go to a mobile hairdresser but I decided to stop using her as she never really did a great job. I am thinking of going to another girl local, she did my wedding make up and also does hair etc. She told me she couldn't tell me whether or not if she did my hair it would make it worse. She told me that she wouldn't use bleach. I think a high lift is to make my hair lighter without the use of bleach :)

13. Roberta W

Roberta W Guest

Congratulations, good to hear that your hair dying was successful. You should use coconut or olive oil to keep your hair becoming too dry. Hair dye can really dry your hair. Moisturiser is important for your hair.

14. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever I dye my hair it is so soft and way less frizzy. maybe diff dyes dries it out. My hair loves it but I cut way back just because the fact of the chemicals.