Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Extensions??

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Cat, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Cat

Cat Guest

I'm considering extensions. Is this totally unrealistic for someone with Alopecia Areata?? I guess you never know what is going to happen next......so...??

2. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

I have Alopecia Areata too and I've always been steered away from extensions by stylists and doctors. For one thing, like you said, our loss is very unpredictable, and extensions are better at disguisng diffuse loss rather than patches. Also, extensions can be (but won't always be) damaging. Some women on these forums get great results with them, but if the density of the extensions is too heavy, it can pull out your existing hair.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. mawmaw

mawmaw Guest

hair extensions

Has anyone tried the clip on extensions? I bought some at a wig store. They are not real hair and the color isn't a great match for my hair but if it were...I think it would be great. mawmaw

5. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

as you may or may not know I wear extensins ... I dont have Alopecia Areata I have Androgenetic Alopecia .. my styliest who deals wtih all types of hair loss does not recommend them on Alopecia Areata as your areas move ... she said she would alwasy recommend other options than extensions

6. Karen

Karen Guest

mawmaw

Extensions are not a great idea for Alopecia Areata as the pressure on already falling out hair would do it great damage. If it's active, it's going to fall out anyways and I think extensions would just do more harm. Trust me I thought of that when I was going through this.

7. Cat

Cat Guest

I do have areas of regrowth, as a matter of fact there is fuzzyness all over. What is left of my hair is mid-back length. There are obviously gaping holes. I want to look and feel human. It is so hard to hide anymore.