Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair friendly Antidepressants? Lexapro?

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by JeHope, Jun 17, 2014.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

Even before my hair loss started, I have always suffered from anxiety and depression. I was on Zoloft for most of my life, but it has stopped working for me. My doctor put me on lexapro 3 weeks ago. Well stupid me just googled it and turns out a lot of people have lost hair on lexapro. It hasn't changed my shed, but I'm just concerned that it will a month or 2 from now.

My question is, has anyone shed on lexapro? Or is anyone on an antidepressant that has no effect on your hair loss?

2. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took citalopram which is very similar (it has an extra compound bound to it) for 9 months and found it had no effect on my hair loss at all. It didn't get any better, but it certainly didn't get any worse. If your shed isn't getting worse I wouldn't be too concerned. Not everyone gets all the side effects and if it makes you feel better on it, then that's important too :)

3. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

I was on Zoloft for a while but quit to see if my hair would improve, it didn't.. so I guess it didn't have any effect on hair, negative or positive.

4. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was also on zoloft and still am and see no improvments. Or do I feel better. I did take seraquil and I sware I think that is when my hair started falling out and I have stopped taking it 3 months ago. I was on a low dose, 100 mg. But I have read on the web lots of others taking seraquil also had hair loss but no one has been able to prove a link so it is not listed as a side effect of the medicine just yet. I wish you luck .

5. Eli777

Eli777 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I was on Effexor for years, maybe 10. No hair shedding, just weight gain :(

Then 3 years ago I stopped the Effexor without any problems.

Fast forward to last year, my anxiety was waaaaaay up there due to some health issues that doctors couldn’t diagnose, and Bam, they put me back of antidepressants.

This time Citalopram. Not only this drug did not work for me (my anxiety and mood did not improve at all), but a month or two latter my shed started , so I stopped it.

To be fair, I’m not sure if the antidepressant is to blame, or if it was the only reason why I’ve started shedding in the first place.

I wish I couldhelp you more.

Good luck to you

6. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was just about to start a thread about this myself before I saw this one.

I used to take antidepressants from 2012 to early/mid 2014 without any problems with hair loss, but since my hair loss started I'm worried that taking them again will make it worse. On the other hand, the amount of stress my anxiety is causing me lately is definitely going to make my hair loss worse. I'm thinking about taking Venlafaxine (Effexor) again as it helped to take the edge off and I didn't experience bad side effects on it before. But you never know how your body is going to react to a drug, even one youve taken before, so it feels very risky.

Anyone know any antidepressants which DON'T affect the hair? Is there even such a thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Prozac is the other one my doctor recommended to me. I'm not sure I'd agree because I had a bad experience with SSRIs before. Anyone know if Prozac causes hair loss? I feel like I've read online that it does.

honestly trying to find a drug that helps more than it harms was hard enough before I had to factor hair loss in.

7. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So far lexapro has not affected my hair loss at all! I've been on it since June.

8. Hello, In regard to Prozac, my RE wanted to put me on that and I said NO WAY after I did my research and spoke to my pharmacist. Basically everyone is different and will have different side effects if any. I have come across one antidepressant unlike SSRI's and thats Wellbutrin. It has a different mechanism of action and so far from what I read hair loss is possible but low chance. I just got a script for it today but of course with my Androgenetic Alopecia I am so reluctant to take it. Please let me know what rout you go ! :)