Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hair growing back with herbal oils!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by DREAMWEAVER1, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

I had another flare up with my alopecia. This one was really bad. I will usually just get a few bald spots hidden under my long hair, but this time I ended up with one huge one behind my ear, and four on the back of my head. Thank god that I hadn't cut my hair short. I am getting by hiding it by pulling my hair back in a barrette. I didn't want to go back to the derm for treatment due to insurance issues, and a bad experience at the last one. Anyhow to make a long story short, I thought I would try the herbal oil routes, and it is working. Prior to this I had been applying hydrocortisone to the spots (it helped with the pain, but the hair was not coming in short of fine hairs). I tried a combinatiion of the coconut oil, lavender oil, vitamin e oil, tree leave oil, peppermint oil, and sweet olive oil. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now (applying the oils, sometimes overnight with a shower cap, and sometimes just for a hour or so.......depending on my schedule), and it is working! I have new growth, and the spots seemed to be shrinking. I have also been taking biotin, and prenatal vitamins (approved by my Dr). I have changed my diet to include more protein (90 grams per day, and again approved by my Dr. for my height and size). The one thing that I did notice since using the oils has been that the pain I encounter on my bald patches is gone along with the itching. I think this flare up was caused by my young niece's suicide and some other stress factors. I was just curious if anyone else had success with these methods? Prior to this, I used the injections from the Derm, and also applied hydrocortisone topically.

2. WalkingWoman

WalkingWoman New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great News! How do you determine how much of each oil to add to the mix, and do you use it everyday?

3. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

I use the coconut oil and the tree oil as the "base oil". The remainder oils I add a few drops of each. I warm the coconut oil in a glass that I place in a bowl and then run hot water into the bowl so that the oil melts. I then add the other oils to the glass and kind of roll it around to mix them. I apply it to my bald patches, and after that I may may condition the rest of my hair with more coconut oil. I then cover my hair with a shower cap, and usually leave it on over night. The next day I will shampoo it out depending on how greasy it is, or I may just rinse it. I do not use it every single day. I may apply it 3 nights in a row, and then skip a few days, or I may apply it for a few hours. It all depends on my work and home life schedule. I do have to say that I was amazed tonight when I checked my spots again, and the edges of the bald spots are filling in nicely. One particularly large spot will soon be gone, and I have hair growing on all of them except one spot on the crown of my head is slow growing.

I also totally changed my diet, and eat a high protein diet, and lots of fruit. No pop.

I also linked my hair loss to times I was consuming Crystal Light that contains ASPERTAME. I did not realize it before but my last 2 flare ups of bald spots occurred when I was using this product, and I will not use it again. I also work out now to reduce stress, and again, I use biotin and a prenatal vitamin. I also quit using hydrocortisone on patches. I was literally coating them in hydrocortisone due to the pain I would get from the spots. It felt like someone had ripped my hair out in those patches. The oils (especially the lavander, peppermint, and tree leaf oil) had totally eliminated the pain I had in those spots!

I also quit checking and checking and checking my spots like I had been prior to this. The hair is coming in nicely and I quit obsessing about it.

4. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

A quick update: I have one spot that is almost completely gone! The others are filling in around the outer edges with hair growth showing in the middle of all of them. Only one spot is being a little stubborn (the hair is growing but not nearly as quick as the rest.) I am simply amazed at the one spot, and I will continue using the oils. I read that lavender oil is a natural remedy for alopecia. I am also going to try nutri-ox shampoo, conditioner, and application to see if I can get the stubborn spot kicked into gear. It amazes me that hair can grow so quickly in certain spots, and so slowly in others. I have noticed the one difficult spot is one where I have lost hair a few times so maybe that is why it is slower growing?

5. Phenix

Phenix Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's great news DREAMWEAVER1!

"For centuries, lavender has been used by herbal practitioners to prevent baldness and to encourage new hair growth. Lavender contains potent anti-bacterial agents that soothe and heal scalp infections."

I recently started using Gro-Aut oil which contains jojoba, rosemary, lavender, coconut & olive oils. Plus biotin & MSM. I alternate with bhringgrai oil since this is an oil that helps with alopecia. The other day i had a little inflammation on my left side and dabbed a little tea tree oil to soothe my scalp and it did help. Before i would rub in a prescription my dermatologist prescribed, Topicort. I'm really trying to go the natural route than the drug route. I stopped Rogaine more than a year ago since it dried my hair out. I found the oils much better for me. Before I use (an sometimes still) castor oil (another anti-bacterial agent) which really helped in growing back the nape area.

My bathroom cabinet looks like an oil factory! lol!

6. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

I have gotten lazy with the oil treatments (messy, hard to sleep with shower cap on head, etc) and have cut them down to about once a week or once every two weeks. Instead, I have been adding 4 or 5 drops of lavender to my shampoo, and letting it sit on my head while I shower. I have also quit checking my spots every day. I did check them today, and finally I am getting good growth in my one difficult spot (crown of back of head). I do truly believe the lavender has helped tremendously (and the coconut oil). My other problem areas are almost totally gone, and the hair grew quite rapidly.

7. DREAMWEAVER1

DREAMWEAVER1 Guest

I'm sorry, I just found your post. Sorry for the late reply. Currently, I am using shampoo with just a little bit of tea tree oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. I just mix a little bit of each oil (maybe one teaspoon of the tea tree oil, one teaspoon of the olive oil and maybe 2/3 tablespoons of melted pure virgin coconut oil) with a mild shampoo in the palm of my hand (It might seem like alot but my hair is thick in the places it doesn't fall out). I leave it on my head and then after about 5 minutes I rinse it out in the shower. I also kind of massage my hair with it while washing. I do have a few new spots (I found a few weeks ago), and I already have regrowth showing on those (I have never had regrowth days after finding a new patch). I did give up doing the night time oil treatments as it was messy, and I found it hard to sleep with a plastic cap on. I would recommend doing them as it really helped with the scalp pain I was having, and it also really helped reduce the shed I was having. My hair was literally coming out in rope like strands. My head hurt so bad that I just wanted to cry. The oil treatments really helped me with this, and I found another combination of 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts (melted natural pure coconut oil) really helped reduce the shed (BUT most importantly stopped whatever was causing the scalp pain). The lemon juice/coconut oil supposedly blocks the DHT? that causes attacks the hair follicle and causes it to shed.

While I am not sure if these treatments will work for all, I have found that they DO work for me, and I plan on continuing them even if/when all my spots are gone. I have gotten so many compliments on my hair since doing them.

IF you do decide to try them, remember to do a patch test to make sure you are not allergic/sensitive to the oils.

The other things I do that I feel have contributed to my regrowth include applying hydrocortisone to my new patches, and I also take biotin, b12 vitamins, and a prenatal vitamin.

I also discovered Toppik (I use it on one spot at the crown of the back of my head to help cover one spot). While the regrowth in this area is adequate enough that I could probably quit using the Toppik, I continue to wear it at work because I bend and twist while filing, and I am afraid of someone seeing the spot. The Toppik really gave me back my confidence, and therefore, I quit worrying about constantly checking if my spot was showing. I am sure that my decrease in anxiety of this has also helped with the regrowth.

Oh, and I do wash everyday with the oils.

I did a shower drain check this morning, and have found a small amount of hair. Before this, I would literally have to clear the shower drain because the hair would be clogging it to the point where the water would not go down.

I have also had regrowth on a spot behind my ear that I had given up on (no growth there for over a year except wimpy, yucky, white stragglers). Now the hair is finally coming back (slower then the rest of my regrowth but it is coming in thicker). I also have noticed about a inch of growth (overall) in about the past 3 1/2 weeks. I can tell this because I dye my hair and the roots are darker for about a good inch or so. Most of my regrowth is probably about a inch or so with new new growth coming in nice and thick in the remainder of my older spots. The newer spots have in the middle, and are long enough to be visable to a mirror check.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I thought I would also mention that I have severe thyroid issues (currently uncontrolled and awaiting results of ANOTHER medication adjustment). I have never had a scalp biopsy, and no doctor has ever truly diagnosised WHAT causes my hair loss. They just have treated it with injections or creams in the past. One derm gave me liquid something that I was to apply to my patches day and nighttimes. I'm not sure what this was but it did make my hair grow BUT where it dripped down the back of my head resulted in me loosing hair in those areas. I'm guessing it was rogaine as the hairloss occurred when I ran out of said product (I really need to check with the drugstore as I don't know what it was). My mother is totally bald, my maternal grandmother had patches (like me), and my niece also had patches like me (twice and she is in her 20's). I am sure part of it is hereditary, and the other part is my thyroid. My worst flareups of hair loss seem to occur under distressed circumstances (my father's death, and my neice's suicide). My insurance company refuses to pay for any treatments done by a derm as they consider this all cosmetic issues. I wish they could experience my scalp pain during a flare up and see that it is not just "cosmetic". One would think I was asking them to pay for a nose job or face lift. I am still paying off bills from derms from about 3/4 years ago (small payments each month as that is all I can afford), and I currently have one in collection. It is so flustering!

I hope this helps!

8. sunshine21

sunshine21 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having decent results with nettle tonic mises with rosemary, lavender and tea tree essential oils. The scalp pain has gone and hair loss has decreased. Regrowth is slow but promising. So happy that an alternative is working for you. Like yourself, I too lose hair when stressed.