Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Loss After Extreme Diet And Recovery

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by BPB, Jul 5, 2019.

1. BPB

BPB New Member

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I decided that I needed to lose a little bit of weight. Foolishly, I just started eating less and less. My stomach shrank so all I was eating was two bowls of cereal a day. After about a year, my hair started to thin. My temples were bare and my hairline had thinned a lot. I would say I lost about 50% of my hair. Other warning signs of calorie restriction: my skin was so dry it was flaking off in big sheets, my heels were cracked and my fingernails were very slow growing. Also, I was feeling slow and exhausted. I was so desperate to stop my hair loss and I frantically researched everything. I finally found an article that was based on a study about severe calorie depletion. It said that severe calorie deficiency causes the thyroid to slow way down. My symptoms matched the symptoms for hypothyroidism. I met with a nutritionist who put me on a protein, vegetable and fruit diet. It felt weird to eat so much but I was determined to get my hair back. A year and a half has passed and I can report success. My temples and hairline have been filling in. The overall density has improved too. I'd say I have about 75% of my original hair density and I'm hoping for more improvement over the next 12 months.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! I did the same probably still do to some extend seems the only way I can lose weight at times. Do you have before pictures of your hairline and temples? Did your hair seem to stop growing in areas?

3. BPB

BPB New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do have some pictures that I'll try to upload. Yes, the hair was shedding and there wasn't much regrowth. Some of the regrowth started out as white miniaturized hair that would fall right out. But SLOWLY the regrowth started to stick around and the bald triangles at my temples filled in. My hairline has been a little sloiwer to thicken but it is definitely improving. One thing I did that helped me during the hardest time: scalp micropigmentation. It darkened my scalp in the thin areas making the contrast between hair and skin less noticeable.

4. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hairline has about 3 or 4 inch hairs that just never seem to grow. I have the temple loss as well and just all over thinning. It was breaking bad but that seems to have slowed. No regrowth that I can see but it’s so hard to tell

#4 TinaM1968, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  5. BPB

BPB New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the frustration with regrowth that stays short. I finally became so anxious that I had to make myself stop analyzing my hair (sometimes with 3x magnifying mirror!).

6. KayJane

KayJane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks for sharing your story and that’s great that you have had success in your regrowth! Congrats! Do you mind sharing your diet for regrowth (about how many calories do you eat or if you don’t count calories can you give an example of what a day of eating would look like for you)? Also how long after eating more

7. BPB

BPB New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Kayjane. According to my nutritionist, I need at least 60 grams of protein per day. Also, I can't skip meals. So in the morning I may a protein shake with 30 mg protein powder. I blend it with a handful of walnuts, chopped apple and coconut milk. For lunch I have a green salad and chicken. For dinner I have a bit of steak and roasted veggies. If I snack, I eat pumpkin seeds. It always feel like it's too much food but my weight strays stable--probably because I don't eat sugar. It took 6 months of eating right before I started getting regrowth. The regrowth comes in waves. I still have hundreds of 1 inch hairs coming in, all over my head but especially on up and at my hsirline.