Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Loss and Thyroid

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Scorpi08, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My shedding had really slowed and I felt like my hair was feeling a bit thicker, but I recently started taking thyroid medication and my shed is UP!!!

Anyone dealing with this too? Does it level off?

2. dvent1111

dvent1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Scorpi08-
    I have had a few sheds from Thryoid meds (lasts anywhere from 3 months to 8 months) My last one was the worst and was 8 long ass months :( It finally slowed down and has been steady for the past 4 months.. Over the past 2 years everytime my meds changed I shed... Not fun..... One thing I did start taking was Evening Primrose Oil after reading a few articles on it... I think it has helped a ton!
    Sorry to heare you are dealing with this....

https://www.healthfulelements.com/blog/2012/10/hypothyroidism-and-hair-loss

3. canadianhair

canadianhair New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thyroid disorders can cause hair loss. Both hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) can lead to balding. Thyroid disorders affect many body functions besides hair growth, so be sure to talk to your doctor if you suspect that a thyroid problem could be the cause of your hair loss. You can also refer to this article for more info: https://goo.gl/7jyQFC

4. inphoenix

inphoenix New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Synthroid

I have been taking synthroid since 1990 -I had my thyroid removed totally due to cancer. I've been on the same strength .125 since then. My doctor recently increased it to .137 and I actually started seeing these tiny hairs on the top of my head sticking up....thinking it make be growing a tiny bit, but almost hate to jinx it by saying it. I've tried the other brand, and didn't have much success - Felt sluggish, and tired.
    I wouldn't even mind trying a higher does, but these docs don't want to do it even if you are in the low side of normal. Wish there was a good Endo in my area

5. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Inphoenix, would you mind sharing what your numbers were at 125? (TSH, T3 and T4)
    I've been treated for hypo for years but had my levels were off when my hair loss started. I'm back on track now but my dosage is actually lower than it used to be (75 mcg synthroid + 25 mcg cytomel vs now 88 mcg synthroid + 12.5 mcg cytomel). My endo thinks my levels are good now but my hair is still a mess even months later.