Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss at widows peak and temples--help!

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by SarahS, Sep 11, 2014.

1. SarahS

SarahS New Member

Dislikes Received:
    deleted

#1 SarahS, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had your throid checked ? And do you where your hair pulled back like that alot ? you can put apple cider vinigar on a cotton ball and wipe over your eye brows to fight extra oil if you think that is the cause. I would wait on the lads but see if you can get back into the Derm to look at the itchy bumps. Do not scratch those, they can spread. You can use liquid Scalpicin on those itchy spots,,, It is 1% hydrocortisone anti itch for dermitis

3. Ginger1113

Ginger1113 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarah, if I were you I would see if you can see a derm that specializes in hairloss. Maybe get a biopsy of your scalp and some bloodwork done. I agree with LoosingItAll. Get your thyroid checked and your ferritin levels as well. Keep us posted.

4. Ginger1113

Ginger1113 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry that it has been so difficult for you to get your iron and vit. D up. I would talk to your doctor about that and see if your body is having trouble absorbing them. Also, think it is a great idea to get the scalp biopsy as it may give you more of an idea as to what is going on.

5. Jemsgirl

Jemsgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is old but try increasing your stomach acid. Apparently low stomach acid can prevent absorption of vitamins and minerals.

6. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair loss looks like mine but was from when I was on the pill. Have you lost a lot of hair overall as in diffuse?

7. Chamsgirl

Chamsgirl Guest

This is my first time posting as I am new to this forum. I have been reading this forum and its one of the most informative ones out there. I suddenly started to have hair loss also. It wasn't in patches. It first started in my temple area and within a matter of weeks my entire head diffused. I swear it feels like I lost half of my hair density. Washing my hair seemed like a task, only because I knew I was going to have so much hair afterwards. Every time I brushed it there were tons of hair in the brush. If I even ran my fingers through my hair there were hairs between my fingers. I actually was told to count the hairs in the shower and there were 328 Telogen hairs (Hairs with the white bulb at the root). It was devastating.
    I went to a Dermatologist (one of the best around) and as told that I have Telogen Effluvium. He told me if I want to kick-start my growth I can use Women's Rogaine 2% Topical solution 2X a day. My GP also diagnosed the same thing. I have had my thyroid checked and a complete blood panel. All were normal. My ferritin was a 19 (normal range, although I think its on the lower side)
    http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums

My hair resembles yours Sarah and my hair diffused majorly in 4-5 weeks an it's still going. Both my Dermatologist and GP told me there is NO shampoo that will stop Telogen Effluvium. It is already in motion and has to take its course. Mine is caused by stress. I actually never believed stress could cause hair loss until now and to be honest with you its still hard to believe at times. I hate even looking in the mirror. I have days when I just cry and cry. I just wish it would stop. I also see new growth and some sheds and some stay (for how long I don't know)

Anyway Sulfate free shampoos are best for your hair. You can Google them and see which ones are in your budget. I will be purchasing Pureology. Although it is a little pricey it promotes healthy scalp and hair and was rated one of the top shampoos for healthy scalp.

8. alohakels

alohakels Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarah, do you notice if the hair in the front is miniaturized? On my hair, it is. Atleast at the root. A single strand will go from thick at the bottom to thin, thin at the root. It does look very similar to my loss. :(

9. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarah… my hairloss is exactly like yours. Identical. My derm also said TE… but this has been going on for 2 years now! I don't have miniaturization, and I do have lots of little hairs sticking up everywhere in the same way you described, yet its not contributing enough for coverage. :( Perhaps I just need to wait longer. Its interesting that you mentioned the granules of sand feeling.. I have that too! No idea what it is though. I don't have much advice, my hair does appear in areas to be regrowing, but in others (like right in the front!) its not. I am taking the usual vitamins that many women with hair loss seem to take. I'm also gluten free because I have hashimotos, but a normal functioning thyroid. I also use Nixoral shampoo mixed with Alpecin shampoo just about every day. My hair isn't greasy at all… its not dry either. I also use the Laser Helmet almost daily.

10. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarah, We are twins! I dont mean just the pattern too. I just read a few of your post. I too have these scalp issues and scaling/flaking if my biggest issue and leads to the HAIR LOSS. I am going on 3 years now! I too think that antibiotic use is the cause of this. It also started for me when I was living in a house w/ mold. :( All linked to the gut and toxins. My brows stopped flakey with the use of ACV. I dilute it w/ water and put it on lightly after the shower. For my scalp, I like raw honey best. Only thing that really makes it feel better. I also started using rosemary/castor oil (or jojobar) on my scalp and think its helping w/ regrowth. The short hairs you see are new hairs in the front! Always a plus. Please see a naturopath if you are able to. Docs turned you against them because its there competition. They will sit there with you and try to find the root of the problem. Not shove more antibiotics,steroids, shampoos, etc at you and say see you in 2 weeks. I did have the biopsy and for me it showed LPP which is a scarring alopicea. Mine is much different then others with this condition and I sometimes question the results. My derm said it is the mildest case he has seen of LPP. It is truely 90% scaling that is my issue. I was shedding for almost a year and that just stopped this week. Ive been reading on this for almost 3 years and talking to others. Theres a great facebook group for SD if you want to join too. Stay in touch.

11. alohakels

alohakels Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I see. I noticed miniaturization by pulling out hairs from the back of my head in comparison to the front. The hairs in the front of my head are much smaller (in width) so that is how I am seeing my own miniaturization. You could try that too.

-Kelsey

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I sadly see miniaturization (vellus) hairs on the front of my scalp. Makes me sick! I actually stopped all vitamins and my probiotic I was taking about the same time my shedding started so I wanted to try that and after about 3 weeks it stopped. I only take nordic naturals Omega and EPR oil. They say biopsies are 100% but the spot they did it on was a spot I had alot of scaling and imflammed from that so I still question it. I have no "patches" of hair loss, it is more diffuse but more in the front. Can't say if it looks like you have FFA or not because it is so hard to tell. Most people lose all brows w/ it. Mine a thinner then they were but I still have them all thankfully!! Any change you have mold in your home or where you have worked? How long have you had this btw?

13. Chamsgirl

Chamsgirl Guest

Telogen Efflluvium

Hi Sarah

My hair type is fine thin hair. It is normal, not oily and I have no granules.
    When I run my fingers through my hair the only thing I have is strands of hair. It does not grease up easily at all
    As far as flaking goes, Yes I have dry scalp. It is not all through my hair unless I scratch my scalp than I will have flakes. I have it moreso now that I am using Rogaine 2X a day (alcohol based) as it can be drying to your scalp.
    My skin is now on the dry side. As I have gotten older (47) My skin has become more dry.
    If I part my hair in the middle you can see a diffuse more in that area.
    Yes I can see new growth at various lengths throughout my hair especially if I part it on the side Some are short and some 1/2 inch or so mixed in with my long hair
    Just because you have short hairs does not mean you have miniturization. Thats also a sign of new growth.
    Telogen Effluvium happens 3-6 months after a "shock" to your system. That normally consists of a few months of shedding
    Chronic Telogen Effluvium is longer of course and stress in my case was the trigger.
    I can feel a total diffuse of my head. My entire head. There are NO patches anywhere. Its a complete loss of volume and density. I have shedding also above my ears and also the back of my neck (seems like it is traveling up on the one side)
    If you type in Telogen Effluvium and than hit "Images" The pictures look just like yours also
    I have no pictures right now as I have been so busy (hectic schedule)
    I take Biotin and a One a Day Vitamin daily
    Its important to eat Iron rich foods. Iron is essential for hair growth. New hair comes in fuzzy and fine with no color and than gets thicker and pigmented as it grows.
    I am wondering if Rogaine will not only help your growth but also help dry your scalp?
    My dermatologist suggested I start to use it to kickstart my growth. I ahve only been using it 2 weeks or so.
    I hope I covered it all
    Chamsgirl

14. courtdubx

courtdubx New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi SarahS,
    I have the same pattern hairloss as you, Im having diffuse hairless concentrated at the temples, oilier-than-normal hair, granule like feeling when running my fingers through my hair. The granule feeling I'm attributing the white balls at the end of the hairs that are shed.

I was diagnosed with Diffuse Alopecia Areata through a scalp biopsy last year. This basically means that my immune system is attacking my hair follicles. Since its diffuse there is not a treatment except orally taking steroids, which I'd like to stay away from. I'm a little unsure about my diagnoses, since the thinning is so concentrated in my temples. I attribute the granule feeling to the "white blood cells" or lymphocytes attacking my hair follicles.

Ive tried many different shampoos and topical steroids, however nothing has seemed to help. I have some regrowth, but it seems to be thin and regrows very slowly. Now I am going to the derm again to get an opinion on how the hairloss is progressing, and to get tested for celiac and other possible allergies, and blood sugar levels for possible early diabetes. I was tested for thyroid and lupus, which were both fine. But I can't shake the feeling that my immune system is out of whack.

Im only 20, I eat healthy and exercise, I've managed stress well and seen therapists, and Ive been on antibiotics and birth control (ortho tri cyclen) in the past. Ive also suffered from dihydrotic excema on my hands. I wanted to include all information, just to see if we can find a cause!

Please keep us updated, and try to hang in there :grouphug:
    -Courtney

15. mangoo

mangoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm 21 and I have hair loss a lot like SarahS. I was wondering what the progress was with everyone? Or if anyone has had any answers? :confused::confused:

16. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry, Sarah, I haven't had the time to read all of your past postings, but are you sure there isn't something hormonal going on, with all of your oil-production issues? It seems like you'd need something internally to help slow the production of sebum. I feel for you. My ponytail is also half the size that it used to be.

Best wishes to you!

17. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with the Nioxin. Thats one I havent tried. I also have SD. Pretty bad! Its more stuck on my scalp. Its where my hair is most thin too. :(

18. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried Pur a' Dor Hair loss Prevention Shampoo, blue label? Its working for me and the sebum is getting better. And Also Sarah--I saw your earlier photos before and in my opinion, these photos actually look way better--I see marked improvement. Your pony won't thicken up for a long time because your hair will need to be long enough to get in a pony, like 6+ inches.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I would get your DHEA-S tested.

19. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Im shedding too!! Not so much in the shower or combing but after all of that. Just all day! I wouldnt be surprised if the Pred did it with yours. Or maybe we are seasonally shedding? Over a month ago I had to take pain meds for a week with a kidney infection. Only thing I can link it too. Needs to stop! Walking piece of hair.

20. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My god I thought I was going crazy about my hair. My part looks the exact same as yours. there's quite a few gaps for myself as well. The back of my neck is almost the same too. But it's worse for me near my crown and edges around my sides. My SD was so bad around those areas. I hope your shedding halts soon, I know for myself it feels like anytime I start to shed it's like it's taking my sanity with it.