Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss for 2 years- brows, scalp, lashes. All bloodwork normal. Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by katiekins198, Nov 3, 2014.

1. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know the friend of mine who refered the derm to me, she has Androgenetic Alopecia, but her mom has it really badly too, she's almost bald. She has no inflammation and her thinning is on the crown, which in our case it's diffuse. The derm told her that usually women with Androgenetic Alopecia have a mom or grandmother or any female with hair loss. You and many others with SD don't , my mom is receding in the front (she's in her late sixties) but she has a lot of hair anywhere else on her head. It most definitely could be the inflammation. Hair doesn't grow in a unhealthy environment, so maybe if the inflammation is gone, the hair will grow back. My iron levels are low too, always have been. I don't know why, doctors say it's normal, a lot of woman my age have it.

2. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That just made me feel a lot more relieved. My mom did have some minor hair loss when she went into menopause, but it wasn't much to make a huge difference. I know my grandmother on my dad's side of the family had minor thinning, but she was well into her 70's and was severely diabetic. All of the medications she was on contributed to it. Yep, my scalp isn't in a healthy state right now, if I could get rid of the scaling and inflammation down, I'd be a happy camper. Asking myself now, I don't know how in the world I could've lived with this crap for almost 3 years without it bothering me this bad.

3. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of women in menopause go through shedding, because of the hormonal changes, that's not Androgenetic Alopecia. I know people with diabetis who have thinning hair, but that's related to the diabetis. Just try to get rid of the inflammation , but first make a picture of your scalp, so your derm can see how bad the inflammation was, it helps. Last year when I had rashes in my face, and it was time to see the derm, my face had cleared up, try to explain you have rashes that come and go. It's good to have a picture as proof.

4. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh trust me, there's tons of pictures on my phone that I've been holding onto for him to look at. Although I never did when the inflammation first started. I had my entire front hairline of my scalp near my forehead literally covered with it. I started using some calming lotion from aveeno to use on it, it went away on its own and hasn't come back in over 2 years. There's a tiny bit of redness right now in a couple of spots, but I think it's from the tea tree oil trying to work. At least now I'll know the signs to look for if it does eventually return. I think back then I made it worse, not knowing what it was, dyed my hair and it nearly multiplied about 3 days after that. I haven't dyed my hair since. And unfortunately, premature graying runs in my family. It doesn't bother me anyway, I just want my scalp back in optimum health so my hair can grow back normally.
    I've gotten to where I'm afraid to style my hair, have it pulled back, and even lay on it when I sleep at night. Hopefully once I see the derm my worries can be laid to rest.

5. samar2000

Dislikes Received:

Are you sure you not allergic to anything, like the hair dye or maybe sulphates in shampoos. Did you have allergy tests done. I've heard about cases where women list hair and their scalp was irritated , they found out it was an allergy to hair dye.

6. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using sulfate based shampoos all of my life. I never had any scalp irritation from any of them. Even now I don't get irritated by it. I think my sebaceous glands are just in overdrive causing the irritation. I know for a fact eczema runs in my family, my maternal grandparents have it, my mom doesn't, but my younger sister does. But none of them have had it localized on their scalps. As far as I know, I really have no known allergies, other than pollen and certain types of mold, as well as cat dander. Mold only makes me feel itchy, but I'm in a mold free environment. I'm not sure about the hair dye though. I dyed my hair frequently when I was a teenager, but none of them ever irritated my scalp, except ones that had ammonia in them, and after that disaster I moved over to using hair dyes that are ammonia free, or even the temporary kind when I wanted to add other colors to it. I think once my hair grows out, I'll just end up going to a salon to dye my hair instead of doing it at home lol

7. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    My dad has SD, my mother has nice skin, even my maternal grandmother had beautiful skin almost no wrinkles in her old age. I wish I had inherited her skin, but I guess I have my dads genes.
    I live in a moldy environment, that's one of the questions I'm going to ask my derm, if mold can cause these problems.

Its good to use ammonia free dye, I use it too.

8. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still afraid to use any dye in my hair, once I get this sd under control and the inflammation gone, I may go back to dying my hair. Seeing all this gray hair at the age of 25 is a little annoying lol
    Finally my scalp has calmed down. I think i used too much tea tree oil in my shampoo last night. The bottle doesn't have a dropper, so I just poured it into my palm of shampoo

9. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky not to have a lot of fraying hair at my age, but I would rather be all gray and have thick hair then this.
    Too much tea tree oil could irritate it, be careful.

10. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I'll just have to clean out one of my other oil bottles for proper usage. I can't believe I had that much in my shampoo last night. Never doing that one again. Hopefully it doesn't get as irritated tonight. I didn't think anything of it, just mixed my shampoo and let it set, then rinsed it off.
    At least i have my aveeno lotion to calm it down, and the cold weather outside.

11. samar2000

Dislikes Received:

You can buy shampoo with tea tree oil already in it, wouldn't that be safer?

12. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Probably, but I wanted to at least try out the 100% oil to see if it'd be a bit more effective.
    Some of the shampoos that are sold in stores don't have tea tree listed at the top of the ingredient bottle.
    Unfortunately I can't purchase anything online, so I'm limited on where I get my shampoo and topical treatments from
    I'll just try at least 5 drops tonight and see if it'd be more calm for my scalp versus the mess from last night

13. samar2000

Dislikes Received:

I was was going to say, you can find it online. And yes maybe you used too much tea tree oil in your shampoo. I've ysed 100% tea tree oil on my skin before, bad decision.

14. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used it on my face too, but it was only a small spot. I didn't use much, but the inflammation from it was gone in about 2 hours, it hasn't come back at all today as far as i can tell. I'll just use one of my empty oil bottles for proper application. I think maybe 5 drops in a palmful should be safe.
    Well, this is strange. After my shower about two hours ago, it looked like my natural part had a little bit more fullness to it.
    I'm not going to get my hopes up that it's new regrowth, but it looks and feels a lot fuller than what it was prior to using TTO.
    Because of the SD being along my natural part in my hair, I honest to god thought I was going bald, but it's strange that after just one use of TTO that I'm experiencing this. I hope my eyes aren't deceiving me.

15. samar2000

Dislikes Received:

That's good news! Keep using it.

16. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope it keeps up like this, then I wouldn't feel so down about it.
    Gonna keep using it and see what happens. From what my sister had told me, since she was the one who gave the TTO to me, that it also aids in hair growth.
    But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high lol

17. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to add some drops to my shampoo.
    Ive been using tea tree oil on my eyebrows and eyelashes.

18. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had SD in my eyebrows, but luckily once it went away, my eyebrow hairs that were missing grew back in thick. Since taking biotin they got bushy, so now I have to pluck and shape them every two weeks lol. Eyelashes gained a lot of length too.

19. samar2000

Dislikes Received:

Thats really good news, if that grew back , then it must be the SD that caused it, and your hair should be growing back too. Mine stopped falling out, my eyebrows look thinner then they used to be, eyelashes too.

20. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I still have thin small hairs popping out of my head, but if it's the inflammation that caused it, I'm praying they grow back in thick. I mean, there's no signs of thinning on my scalp as far as I can tell, it still looks like I have a full head of hair, my length just doesn't have the fullness it did before this started