Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss for 2 years- brows, scalp, lashes. All bloodwork normal. Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by katiekins198, Nov 3, 2014.

1. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well if there's no thinning on your scalp, that's good news. Mine is thin on the top as well .

2. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I keep trying to tell myself that to keep myself from going crazy lol.
    Well, hopefully both of us will get answers that will put our minds at ease

3. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    I know, knowing what's going on will make it better, the not knowing is what can make it nerve wrecking.

4. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, yes lol
    Trying to figure out how I can get rid of the excess skin on my scalp from the dermatitis.
    My hair can't thrive with it being there :(
    The inflammation has gone down more, hopefully it will clear up soon

5. ochiai

ochiai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Eunmi, reading your posts, it sounds practically the same as what I'm dealing with! I've been suffering a bad bout of SD which seems to be mainly at the top of my head(part and crown) and have experienced a lot of hair loss and thinning that does resemble the Androgenetic Alopecia pattern. So far my derm hasn't mentioned anything about Androgenetic Alopecia to my knowledge,(there's a bit of a language barrier), but lately I've seen thinner hairs, and hairs that are in an odd, kinky wave pattern, but not necessarily thinner(some are, some aren't). I was told the hair should stop falling/grow back once the inflammation is gone, but I'm still trying to get rid of it!

6. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just catching up on this thread. Eunmi-Sorry you are also suffering. Good to hear your hair is hanging in there though! Im surprised to hear its around your nape, could it posssibaly be psorisis? Sounds like alot of tea tree, I only added a few drops to my shampoo bottle. Not surte it has helped though. I just started the Aveda infinti scalp line (had samples) and so far Im liking it. Has anything else tried it? Whats the aveeno calm you are using?

7. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The hair loss for me has just been all over the place, but mostly in areas that had some serious scaling. From what I've been told the inflammation associated with this condition can basically choke off your hair follicles and produce thinner ones, or your hair could just not grow at all. When the inflammation first started 3 years ago, I experienced a lot of hair fall. I've lost maybe 30-40% of my hair density from it. It was a bit sudden at first, but once I actually upped the shampooing it went down drastically and has returned to normal. I lose maybe 3-15 hairs in the shower now as far as I can tell. From my full routine it runs from 20-30 hairs (sometimes less) after shampooing, conditioning, and combing after I'm done. After that, I don't touch it until it dries. All of the hairs that come out all have the white plugs at the end. Since I've been dealing with this for so long, I've been having shorter hairs pop out, since I know the growth phase only lasts for a certain amount of time.

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of brought this condition onto myself. I went through a bad breakup and just gave up. The oil on my scalp sat there for so long and this crap manifested on it. I've never experienced any forms of hair loss in my entire life up until this started. No one in my family has a history of psoriasis. Other than my step-sister. But she gets it from her mom's side of the family. And the scaling/inflammation were previously in my eyebrows, on the hairline on my forehead, behind my ears, and of course my scalp. The scaling I'm dealing with isn't as thick as psoriasis would be. It's just been inflamed and the scales are oily and white. I do feel short hairs on my nape, but they haven't grown past a certain point. I learned my lesson with the tea tree oil, I didn't realize using so much could cause a reaction like that, since many of the oils I used before the same exact way didn't give me a reaction like that. I've been using a scentless aveeno eczema therapy lotion to calm my skin down a bit, but any one should be fine since it's the oatmeal extract in them that helps calm the skin down. But so far the tea tree oil for me, has been proving itself. Since the scaling on my forehead went away and hasn't returned in over 2 years, I'm hoping the same for my scalp once I get it more under control. It's driving me nuts!

8. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Keep us updated! I also have alot of those thin hair that replaced mine regular think hairs from the scaling. I bought a microscope camera when this hit and have been monitoring my scalp every day. Kinda addicting!

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotten to where I just keep counting the hairs that fall out. It's a bad habit that sends my mind into overdrive about it. :(
    Here I am having doubts again. I don't know why it hit me suddenly but the next thing you know I find myself bawling over this.
    It keeps going back and forth between what my new regrowth is, and if it's possibly Androgenetic Alopecia. If that were the case, wouldn't it have presented itself when the hair fall started? And would it only be concentrated to one area? The areas I've been experiencing hair loss from is a small section in the back, and the sides behind my ears, and a little on the top where my hairline is. I don't know why I can't be happy that I saw a few new hairs pop up, they're pigmented, and don't really look THAT thin. Are new hairs always thin before they eventually grow longer? I think I'm just being impatient. I know it doesn't happen overnight, but I'm hoping what I'm seeing will turn out to be thick hair growing in when it grows longer.

10. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Ive wondering this myself if the hairs came in thin and get thicker. My case, I dont think so. I watch them come in w/ the microscope and they either are thick or thin. Thinner in the front for me. Just colored tonight for the first time in almost a year. Burning and way darker then I wanted and it looks so much thinner now. So tired of this being my LIFE!

11. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's so frustrating, I'm getting sick of having two days of not caring to a complete day of doubts and crying fits. My mind keeps telling me it's not Androgenetic Alopecia, since no one in my family has any history of hair loss, but i can't help but think about it. I blame myself for researching.

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like I could have Androgenetic Alopecia too but I am not focusing on that. I could deal w/ that if I knew it was only that and would start looking into wigs. Its trying this and that to help this scalp condition and keeping notes, watching everything I eat, the air I breathe, etc... When I see the thin hair w/ no pigmentation in the front its what makes me think Androgenetic Alopecia. Its right at hairline w/ no scaling there.

13. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, all of my hair that I noticed growing in are all pigmented. Maybe it's a good sign. I've never experienced hair loss before up until this, so I don't think my hair has been thinning over the years. I do see some short hairs shed every now and then, but I think those were the hairs that were trying to grow along with the inflammation

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, another bad day again.
    Why can't I just go back to not caring? :ermm:

14. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had my mom look at my scalp shortly after my shower, and she said the spots aren't red anymore, so maybe, just maybe I have this crap under control to where I will see new hairs coming in.
    She looked at my crown that had been affected by this crap too, and said she saw some new regrowth. Going to try and keep my hopes up. These last few days have been rather depressing.
    She had to stay up late with me last night to try and calm me down. I was literally in hysterics and on the brink of hyperventilating.
    I'm thankful I don't have anything life-threatening, but hair loss can be just as devastating. :ermm:

15. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    Eunmi, I hope you're ok. Sorry for what you're going through, but new regrowth is good news. It's good you have the inflammation under control now! Keep up with your treatment, it's obviously working.

16. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My main problem is my patience. If it weren't for that I would be ecstatic about the regrowth I'm seeing. I know these things don't happen overnight, but I always find myself asking how much worse it could get before it grows out even more lol.
    I've tried to be patient about it for the last 4 1/2 months since I've started my treatments, but I still find myself asking more and more questions, it's getting annoying lol
    Like, if my hair is even going to grow or just stay put where it's at, I don't know, I know it's a waiting game, but ugh

17. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    You just started to get control over the inflammation, it will take time for hair to regrow.

18. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so. I'm getting sick of looking in the mirror every time I brush my hair and ask myself if it's ever going to come back.
    At least the hair fall has gone back to normal, I lose less than 100 a day. So I may as well appreciate what I have now, but it's hard sometimes because I don't know what to do with my hair anymore. I haven't been able to touch a flat iron or dye it in 3 years lol

19. samar2000

Dislikes Received:
    The fact your hair fall is normal now, that's a good sign. The tea tree oil is doing a good job. Yesterday I put a few drops in my shampoo too.
    I haven't had a haircut or dye for about 6 months.

20. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's been normal since I started shampooing more often. It took a few days, but it finally went back to normal.
    I've been having to do it daily because if I don't, I always have that fear that it will pick right back up again.
    That and I've had oily skin since I hit puberty. But I noticed in the last few months that it's gone down as well. I guess it's because I stopped using conditioner on my roots and just use it for the length of my hair, that and finally realizing what I was doing to myself. My hair feels much softer and less rough than it did a few months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, since my phone won't let me upload any recent photos for some odd reason, I was able to find one from back in March.
    Just to see if anyone else has a different opinion lol. This is also back when I was still washing my hair 1-2 times a week. So don't mind the oiliness. Gonna try and figure out how I can upload recent pictures
    Photo0023.jpg