Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss for 2 years- brows, scalp, lashes. All bloodwork normal. Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by katiekins198, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So glad i stuck to the tea tree oil rather than giving up after two days.
    The inflammation has nearly disappeared, and the scales on my scalp are finally starting to heal, and they're a lot smaller than they were the day I started the TTO treatment. My scalp isn't oily anymore, the scales are finally drying out and flaking off bit by bit.
    I think the itchiness I've been experiencing the last few days has been from the spots on my scalp trying to heal. Hopefully it only gets better from here on.
    Still dealing with the stuck on flakes though, maybe I'll ask my derm about a 3% salicylic acid solution to remove them. And demanding I get my iron levels checked.
    I have almost all of the symptoms of iron deficiency. I never realized over the last few years that my fatigue could be related to it. I find myself ready for a nap not even an hour after I wake up from 7-8 hours of sleep, my hands and feet are always cold, and I get out of breath fairly easily when it comes to strenuous activity.

2. ochiai

ochiai Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long have you been using tea tree oil for?

3. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using it for about a week now.
    It burned a bit for the first day but now it doesn't bother me at all.

4. ochiai

ochiai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow, that IS fast. I've been using Nizoral cream for about 2 weeks, and it has significantly reduced the itching and redness, but maybe I should try teatree oil if it's that effective! 

5. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, my itchiness has been gone for months since I started using other essential oils, but tea tree has been the most effective.
    I still have a few spots on my scalp, but they're not as inflamed as before, and they're finally starting to heal. I just wish my hair growth would speed up so i can see if they grow in thick again. :(
    Nizoral 1% shampoo made my scalp worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to be uploading some pictures in a bit. Hopefully it can somewhat put my mind at ease. :(
    Or not, my phone is being dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, starting to feel down about this again. I keep questioning everything.
    No balding in females in my family, males age gracefully.
    Mom had pcos and never experienced hair loss.
    Am I overthinking everything? I'm trying my best to stay positive about all of this, but it just feels like I'm washing and brushing away my hair.
    I wish it were the 31st already so I can possibly get some reassurance from the derm. I know it's only 12 days away, but this crap has me going in circles. Everytime i try and make a step forward, I feel like I'm pushed 50 steps back. I'm just praying that this whole thing is just an easy vitamin/mineral fix along with some added relief from the reassurance and knowing what exactly is going on. I know my part isn't widening at all, it's diffuse, but it's like my hair just refuses to grow, and whatever manages to grow is thin and can just be easily pulled out. I don't know if it's a vitamin/mineral thing, I know I should be grateful that no one can tell my hair isn't growing, and that I don't have any life-threatening illnesses, but this crap has been hard to cope with because I find myself with more questions than answers. I'm only 25, I shouldn't be experiencing hair loss at all.

6. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nizoral dried my hair out! EUNMI- So glad the TTO is helping! So your scalp is normalizing but you still feel plaque on your scalp? Here are some pictures of what my plaque look like really close up. Its not as bad right now thankfully!! These are older ones when this first hit.

Attached Files:

7. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, still have plaque in some areas of my scalp, it's mostly on the sides and some areas in the back of my head, that's where my loss has been the worst.
    I'm finally starting to see some tiny hairs pop up on my normal hair line. Hopefully they grow in thick and healthy. I still have a few areas of patches where the inflammation was, but it's not as severe as it was before. I think my reasoning for freaking out about Androgenetic Alopecia was because it's affected my crown as well. That's actually where it started and then spread lol.
    My hair shed finally stabilized about 4 or 5 days after i upped my washing routine. I lose anywhere from 50-80 hairs per day. Kind of sad how I have to count every piece of hair that falls out when I wash it. When this first started, I had so much plaque and oil build up it was disgusting. I could literally have my nails filled with the junk when I'd wash it. The hair loss followed about 2 months after this stuff progressed, I think i went through an episode of TE, and with the underlying cause not being fully taken care of, my hair has had a hard time trying to recover growth wise. Lesson well learned.

8. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully it a lot of it will come back. There's a good chance if it was from the scaling and it is not scarred at all. I always have short ones too.

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and pester the crap out of my derm on my first visit to him.
    For now I'm feeling a bit happier about it, no one else notices the loss except me. It's just the change in density that drives me insane, and my hair texture changed a bit as well. I keep finding these random kinky ones growing in, it hasn't been a lot, but I know the texture of my hair, so it's noticeable when i run my fingers through my hair

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked a few spots that I've got on my hairline in random places.
    Those spots finally aren't red anymore. Now it just looks like there's huge flakes of skin, no more inflammation.
    The spots at the nape of my neck feel like they aren't even there anymore either.
    The only thing I've changed recently are my eating habits, and what I use for controlling it.
    Cutting back on sugar has helped considerably. Hopefully these are good signs that my scalp is finally starting to recover itself even more. Now if only my hair would start growing faster. I'm sick of the back of my head feeling naked. Definitely going to stick to taking my multi, biotin, stress tabs with b-complex, and omega 3-6-9 supplements, and of course my vitamin d. Now to just get my iron levels checked!
    And after my shower, I can finally see a few more hairs starting to pop up! :)

10. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This seems like good news to me. I never noticed all of these 1-3 inch pieces growing in at my hairline, where my dermatitis had hit hardest on the top of my head, but they're the same thickness as the rest of my hair. I hope this keeps up.

11. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    That's great news!! Keep us posted. Still using tea tree?

12. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm still using it, but I have a few bumps that are a bit inflamed again.
    I'm not sure on what else I can do for this.
    Tea tree oil has basically been my saving grace through this whole thing. I hope it hasn't lost its effectiveness already :(
    Still trying to figure out how to get rid of this pesky buildup on the sides near my hairline. I'm afraid to go back to nizoral, since it made my scalp worse with the 1%. Coal tar gives me horrible headaches, and H&S clinical strength dries and discolors my hair, and makes my scalp feel even more oily like no tomorrow. I've been using regular H&S with the tea tree oil. Kind of funny, but I've been using the men's full&thick version of H&S to help give my hair a bit more volume. Since that's basically what's missing on my head, no defined pattern of loss or anything. Just all over. Hopefully since I'm hitting the 6 month mark of treatments with this crap, my hair SHOULD start popping up and sprouting new hairs, since I was told it could take anywhere from 2-6 months for hair to start growing again.
    I'm just hoping these 4-5 inch pieces that have been popping out recently is my scalp trying to return back to its normal growth cycle.

13. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh, I ran out of my H&S and am stuck using Herbal Essence shampoo mixed with the TTO.
    I used my last bit of H&S last night after realizing there was still some left in the bottle, the previous night I used the HE shampoo with the TTO.
    I woke up this morning and my hair felt like I had a lot of styling gel in it. I think it may have been something in the HE shampoo. But I brushed my hair out this morning, and holy crap, there was more hair in it than I wanted. It feels like I have to force my brush through my hair just to get it the way I want, but it still feels like a mess. I'm hoping it's just the shampoo that I'm using, because I haven't used any other shampoos except for anti-dandruff ones for the last 4-5 months, and never had that feeling at all with my hair. Well, except that one time I used a volumizing powder (biggest mistake ever) and it took almost 3 days of washes to get it out.

Quick question though. Can SD result in permanent hair loss? I've been freaking out over this because I left it untreated for about a year and a half, and it's really starting to bother me.

14. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Go get your regular shampoo! Im curious if thats why you just shed more too. You dont think the H&S drys out your hair? Ive had that probrom with those shampoos in the past. They say that its not permanent with the SD. If its really bad and scarring occurs then I would think it would be. I know mine comes back in but sometimes thinner.

15. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The only H&S shampoo that dries out my hair is the clinical strength. I grew up using H&S quite a bit. Never had any issues since I use a decent conditioner afterwards.
    I think there was something in the Herbal Essence shampoo that made my hair feel that way. I don't shed a lot with H&S, but with my hair feeling nasty and matted after using the herbal essence, I basically had to force my brush through my hair and more hair came along with it. One more wash and hopefully it's all gone. At least it wasn't hell trying to get my brush through my hair earlier.

I'm hoping the SD didn't cause any permanent damage. I've been told various things about how it can cause scarring. Like, constantly scratching. Which i learned to ignore after a while, I'd just keep my mind distracted every time I wanted to scratch. I did have a bad habit of picking at the SD on my frontal hairline, which resulted in a few hairs being lost, but it was nothing drastic. That and there's the leaving it untreated part. That's what scares me. But my mom's co-worker had this crap for as long as I did before she did anything about it, and her hair grew back. Ironic part is, is that hers had hit the hardest on the top of her head, where I had quite a bit of scaling as well. Hopefully it's the same for me, I'm getting kind of tired of feeling down every other day because of this. It's ruined my already low self-esteem. I know hair doesn't exactly make a person, but dealing with this for the first time and not knowing what's beyond my control is what starts freaking me out. That and for me, my hair was my best feature that I actually liked about myself. I don't feel like I'm the same person as I used to be. Before I'd go out without any issues, I was actually happy. And now this hair loss/SD is basically keeping my mind and myself from being happy. I have days where I'm fine, but days like yesterday where you just feel mentally and physically drained just left me wanting to sleep for hours. A close friend of mine actually had to get her girlfriend, who's a best friend of mine, on Skype, while being all the way in Afghanistan, to talk to me and try to calm me down.

I'm just really praying that I walk out of my dermatologist's office tomorrow with some good news. I'm tired of crying and feeling down about this. I know no one else sees it, but it still affects me. I'm an extremely self-conscious person. Even back then, I would walk out anywhere and feel like I had a million sets of eyes on me. And it wasn't exactly in a good way either.

16. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the same way! :( It truly sucks!! I think about my hair and scalp all day and all night. What I can research next... I write down notes all the time and spend so much time on the computer reading on this. Ive been like this for over 2 years now since it hit. There are times when I say it is just hair and so what, Im a little thin and who isnt but that doesn't last long. I had the best bouncy healthy shiny curly hair and always had compliments. UGH! So what did the co-working do to help their scalp??? Good luck at appt tomorrow!

17. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    From what I was told she used tea tree oil as well.
    She did see a derm for her consistent itching.
    But her hair fully recovered.
    My hair is naturally straight with with slight waving at the ends. I had people jealous of my hair for quite a while. Then my bout of not giving a crap about myself, I stopped washing my hair that often. It got worse after I noticed the small clumps coming off while in the shower. Back then my scalp was covered in a layer of gunk from the oil and dandruff. I'm hoping now that I'm starting to treat it that my hair will grow back. I'm tired of being scared about pulling it back or styling it. I just wash and condition, then comb it, and I'm done. It sucks, I miss being able to straighten my hair, use leave in conditioners that gave my hair added shine. And of course the density of it. My scalp is still fairly dense, it's just the density of my length. I just hope my derm doesn't get my diagnoses confused with Androgenetic Alopecia, because I had a bit of scaling along the sides of my natural part. That's the reason why I'm so scared.
    I just hope I'm that lucky. I'm tired of thinking about my hair all the time.
    I can't function correctly at all. I haven't even been eating that well because of the way I feel. I'm praying that my derm tells me some good news tomorrow, I don't want to spend my time at home alone crying my eyes out.
    I just want to feel happy again. I'm tired of feeling like I'm fighting a battle I can't win. I start over thinking and keep asking myself what it's going to be like a couple of years from now. I find myself getting jealous over my family member's hair. And sitting there asking myself "Why me? Oh right, you stopped caring and let yourself get into this mess."
    I don't want to have to feel or be the only female in my family who has to wear a wig. While everyone else has a head full of hair. I know I shouldn't care about my appearance so much, but losing the one thing you loved about yourself, just doesn't make me feel like a woman anymore. It's embarrassing, I feel ashamed all the time, even though if you passed me on the streets, you wouldn't even notice it at all.

18. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I have scaling on my part line too. Maybe Ill go stronger witht he tea tree. I only have a few drops in my shampoo. Try to wait to comb your hair alittle when its wet. Thats when its most fragile. Hope we can figure this out! I pretty much gave up on derms as I was always let down. I do have 1 now though who I see year and do like him since he is understanding and will let me try anything I ask.

19. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from my appointment.
    I told him my worries, he asked me if anyone in my family had started balding early, and I said no.
    Nothing much was said after that.
    He looked at my scalp, and holy crap, I had flakes coming off everywhere. He told me it's most likely the main culprit behind my hair loss issues, and told me it should grow back once i get it under control more.
    He prescribed me Clobetasol foam and Ketoconazole 2%.
    I had a script for hydrocortisone, but I already have a 1% tube at home that I bought OTC.
    Have to use the keto shampoo 3 times a week until it's under control. Told me to come back in 2 months.
    I'm afraid to use the clobetasol though, since it's a steroid. Same with the Keto shampoo because it's much stronger than the 1%.
    Hopefully I don't experience a lot of hair fall in the shower using it.
    I did ask him if it was normal to shed thin, shorter hairs because of them having to grow while my scalp was inflamed, but he didn't say anything about it. He did try his best to reassure that my hair would grow back though, since he said he couldn't even notice it until I told him about it.

20. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it went kinda well!? At least he answered your questions. I guess the tea tree isnt helping? :( I forget, do you have mold in your home? I know for me whenever I go away even just a few days my scalp always felt better!