Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss for 2 years- brows, scalp, lashes. All bloodwork normal. Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by katiekins198, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The tea tree has been helping. But apparently I had more flaking than I thought.
    Still have a few spots on my scalp that aren't really responding to the TTO, so I think that's why he suggested the steroid foam.
    I'm still afraid to use the keto shampoo. I don't want to experience anymore hair loss than I have been for the past couple of years.
    There was some surface mold shortly after summer had ended, but it was all cleaned up with no problems. I honestly haven't been having much trouble with my scalp since using the TTO,other than a minor itch every now and then. it's just the length of time it takes for hair to return to its normal growth cycle that has me all upset.
    Like I said before, my scalp feels dense, it's just the length density that bothers me. I'm always afraid to have my hair pulled back because of it

2. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used the olux foam when I got home, it helped tremendously. I didn't experience any burning after applying it like most people experience.
    I just didn't expect my derm to prescribe it because he told me I had a mild case of it, since I had lowered it that much from how mildly severe it was months ago.
    I have to use the keto shampoo 3 times a week for about 3-4 weeks. Hopefully I will only have to use it at least once weekly after about a week or so. I miss being able to use my normal shampoos. Hopefully once the flakes and build up are cleared my hair can start growing again. My hair hasn't been as oily as it was before, since I wash my hair daily, and the tea tree oil has been helping to control the oil production. I was instructed to use the olux foam only once a day for two weeks.
    Hopefully I'll see some major improvement over the next few days. It was embarrassing watching him go through my hair and having all of those flakes fall out. I'm honestly surprised that I didn't start bawling my eyes out when I explained to him how uncomfortable I was with the hair loss. He told me he wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't told him about it. While my shedding has been a bit higher than what I'm used to for the last few months, it's bearable, it's nowhere near the 200+ I had falling out when the SD got out of control. I'm just hoping it didn't cause any significant, permanent damage. I didn't realize it until a few days ago, but the nape of my neck has a bunch of little hairs sprouting, above that to the back of my head feels like it's starting to fill in again. I just hope the SD was the only cause of my hair loss. I just want to feel normal and live a normal life again without the added embarrassment and questioning if anyone even notices that my hair has thinned out from this.
    And thanks for the added reassurance Sarah. :)
    Maybe now I can stop looking up hair loss online so I don't add anymore unwanted stress.

3. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thats good news! I'm really glad for you!

4. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope this regimen works. I got a little scared last night when i used the 2% keto, since I noticed a few more hairs popping out when I had it set on my scalp for 5 minutes. It might seem normal for me to lose anywhere from 20-40 hairs after washing, conditioning and combing after my showers, but it still gets me down sometimes. I'm just hoping to see some regrowth after starting this treatment. It's so frustrating!

5. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    remember, regrowth can take long, so don't lose hope. If your scalp is that inflamed its normal your hair falls out, just keep babying your scalp.

6. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I know. My mom had talked to one of her friends who's a nurse about my issues, and my concerns for the stuff my derm had prescribed me.
    She told me it's normal to see a few more hairs while using the shampoo at first, since it's a bit stronger compared to the OTC version.
    I know I'm not expecting an overnight miracle to occur, it will take some time, but it's mostly the top of my head that bothers me the most, since the SD had affected that area, and the nape of my neck the most. My sides were also involved, but not to an extreme. I do feel some stubble on the top of my head in random places. I'm just hoping that none of these short hairs pop out.

Trying my best to keep praying and doing some deep breathing exercises. And trying to avoid looking up anything online.
    Now I'm just trying to recover from my 3 day depression episode. It felt like it knocked the wind out of me. I didn't wake up until nearly 2pm today because of how mentally and physically exhausted I was.

7. courtdubx

courtdubx New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Diffuse Alopecia Areata

Hi @katiekins,
    I have similar hairless to yours, concentrated in the temples, and I also have new problems with acne.
    My hair loss seems to be all over, slowly progressing, and concentrated in the temples and top of my head. I had a scalp biopsy done, and was diagnosed with diffuse alopecia areata. This basically means that my immune system is attacking my hair follicles. Lots of hairs fall daily, along with a large white bulb at the end, maybe you also have this?
    Im only 20. Hairloss at such a young age is scary and heartbreaking, so I know the fear you feel. I think that my alopecia has set of a type of androgenetic alopecia, too (causing the hairless at the temples). Im hoping now to find out why my immune system is out of whack, and scheduled to get tested for gluten and other allergies.
    Maybe we have something in common. Try not to stress too much, and keep hope:sun:

8. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I almost forgot about how much singing makes me feel better.
    I haven't listened to music in so long to calm my over-thinking mind.
    I may not sing well, or know half the things I say since I listen to Korean pop music, but it helps calm my mind. :laugh:
    Also felt around the back of my head, I feel a little stubble in the back where my old SD spots used to be. I hope this keeps up, and manages to start on the top of my head again. Already have little thick hairs around my natural part, now if the rest would just fill in. :D

Side note: Anyone who has a vitamin d deficiency, have you ever noticed when taking it in higher dosages, like, 5 or 10,000 iu's that it lessens hair shedding? I kept forgetting to take my vitamins for the last 5 days and that's when my shed picked up a bit, but after taking my vit. d this afternoon, I noticed my hair was shedding less. It's weird.

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Finally starting to see a few short hairs near my bang area.
    I'm hoping this olux foam use for two week intervals then stopping doesn't cause another outbreak of SD for me.
    I've finally gotten to where I'm not as paranoid of eating certain foods.
    By guidance from my pcp, she told me to switch all of my white flour carbs to whole grains and whole wheat, which I have stuck to, other than for the holidays.
    I didn't go into full on binge mode like I used to when it came to holidays. Hell, rather than craving salt or sugars when I'm hungry or hankering for a snack, I always crave veggies. I can honestly say that it's hard to keep broccoli and bok choy in my house now.
    Aside from that, the keto 2% and olux foam have been working better than I anticipated. I'm hoping my scalp can make a full recovery within the next couple of weeks. So far I've managed to put my hair loss issues on the back burner. Still concerned about it, but not to the point of stressing out. I'm finally starting to enjoy some hobbies I had ignored since I first noticed the change in my hair. I've even starting reading the large pile of books I've been holding off on reading for the last few months.
    And hoping I get my vit. d levels up some more.
    I think the SD and vit. d deficiency wreaked havoc on my hair over the last couple of years. And possibly iron. I think I might get some otc zinc and iron supplements to see if it would help. I'm tired of my feet being cold all the time. :(

10. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ive read Zinc helping with SD but haven't tried it yet myself.

11. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same. Not sure on how much i should take though. Since my daily multi has 15mg in it.
    Same goes for iron. Maybe I should just try low dose otc supplements for now until I can see my pcp again.
    I find it weird how people find 2% Keto shampoo to be drying to their hair, yet mine actually feels softer using it. I don't get it.

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Im surprised. It made mine a frizzy nightmare and stripped all the oils. But, I have dry scalp. Maybe you have oily scalp and that is why its helping. I was told by my derm that it works best for oily hair.

13. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly. I've been prone to an oily scalp for as long as I can remember. Hooray for having the same type of hair and scalp as my mom. Damn genes.
    But my oil production on my scalp has reduced significantly since I started doing serious treatment for my SD. I have the TTO to thank for that one.
    And washing daily, as hard as it is, because I keep feeling like I'm just washing away my hair, it makes my scalp feel a lot better.
    So far so good with the olux foam, none of my spots have returned since using it on the first day. Just hoping I don't go into relapse with this, and go fully into remission like my front hairline has been like for the last 2 years. I'm finally starting to feel the thickness in density in the back of my head, I feel little stubblies on my crown. My SD hit me the hardest on my crown and on the top of my head. I think I've had a longlasting case of TE that has finally been under control for the last 4 or 5 months. Just hoping the hair on the top grows back, since it looks really horrible right now. No widening, just a little thin, but my part still looks tight. If that makes any sense.

14. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Gah, today has been slightly horrible.
    Since i stay at home and take care of my brother who's mentally and physically disabled, he tends to throw fits every now and then.
    Today just HAD to be that kind of day. He felt the need to pull my hair. It's kind of sad how I flipped over one hair that got pulled out.
    I swear, I about had a panic attack. I just sat on the floor and started bawling my eyes out.
    I just kept crying out loud and sat there like "Really? Will you not let me keep what I have left while I'm PRAYING there's some regrowth going on?"
    I know I shouldn't do that, considering he doesn't understand the circumstances, but it still hurt me pretty badly. :(

15. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is it normal to experience pimple like bumps when using clobetasol foam?

16. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh, this sucks.
    Every now and then I'd get the occasional pimple like bump on my scalp that would go away after 2 days.
    Now I have around 4 or 5 in random places on my scalp.
    Am i using the olux foam too much? I started using it on the 31st of December, and here it is the 15th of January.
    My prescription says to use it every day on my scalp, but I think it's gotten to be a bit too much now? I'm not sure. :(
    Should I just reduce it now to maybe 2 times a week for a maintenance dose? The inflammation doesn't even feel like it's there anymore, since my scalp is no longer warm to the touch.
    The pimple like bumps just concern me, they aren't painful or itchy, they're just there. I stupidly picked at one and it didn't bleed, just a tiny amount of pus or oil...I'm not sure. Ugh, so frustrating. Using this to combat one problem and now this on top of it. Just hoping this crap doesn't come back with a vengeance once I reduce the use of it. I feel like I have a mostly normal scalp now, and was starting to see more hairs pop up, and a little less hair shed. :thumbdown2:

17. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    I have some of these myself and dont use what you are using. I seem to get them more if I eat dairy/gluten which is VERY rare for me. Yeah, pus coming out of them. Icky! Glad to hear your scalp feels better though.

18. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just worried about them.
    I'm not sure if these are benign or anything, but I started to get worried because of how many there are, I've never had this many at a single time before.
    Not sure if it's the clobetasol, but I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. Or go into full on folliculitis, since I've been told and read that it's known to cause hair loss, but I haven't noticed any hair coming out in the areas where they are, thankfully. It still concerns me though
    It's so frustrating :(

19. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So it's been about 4 days since I've used the clobetasol, I can feel the inflammation slowly coming back.
    I'm still getting painless scalp pimples, do you think not washing out shampoo enough could've caused this?
    For the last two weeks my hot water pipes have been freezing off and on and have been forced to wash my hair in the sink, and I haven't been able to get out ALL of the shampoo i wash with. This is so frustrating. Doing treatment to help one condition and now I'm dealing with this and it's freaking me out. I don't want this to happen in fear of more hair loss, I've been through enough and trying my best to be patient and see if my hair grows back in, which I've had some slight hope because I'm starting to see a bit more regrowth.
    Could these just be harmless? I left a message for my derm since tomorrow their office is closed.
    Hoping someone can help me out with this, I'm so frustrated and confused. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, should NOT have stopped using the clobetasol for that many days, I think I'm having a rebound from just stopping it out of the blue.
    My scalp is warm to the touch again...
    I hate this.

20. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    How many days did you stop using it? What is going on now? I think the pimples could be from that, I have heard that before. I also get them (no meds) from time to time. Why did you stop it again? Meds are scary, thats why I wont take them. I took a few in the beginning but just prefer to treat it naturally. Hang in there!