Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss for 2 years- brows, scalp, lashes. All bloodwork normal. Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by katiekins198, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I noticed that after my SD had gotten better, my scalp isn't super oily anymore.
    I still have flaking and a few small patches of slight redness, it's more pale pink now, but it's far better than it was 2 1/2 months ago.
    Kind of ironic how I was taking prednisone for inflammation from bronchitis, and it indirectly helped my SD a bit, and that was only at 4mg's.
    Kind of sad how I go from an oily to dry scalp in a matter of months.
    I think I may need to ease up on the anti dandruff shampoo. I should probably switch to a normal one and stick to using nizoral 3 times a week.
    At least the vitamin d is helping with my dry elbow issues. I've been dealing with dry elbows, ankles, and knees for years LOL

2. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh. Just as my hair started to look better, I noticed a thin patch in the back on the right side of my crown.
    I had a bad spot of SD there, and now it's nearly gone. I hope it fills in soon.
    I don't know what possessed me to even try to look at my hair today.
    I've basically given up on counting hairs, and obsessively looking at it daily for regrowth. I'm just tired of feeling mentally exhausted when doing it.
    My hair is starting to slowly fill back in though, my parts are slowly going back to normal, although I did have a minor flare-up about two weeks ago that took some of my left temple, just a tiny bit. I see tons of hairs poking through on the top. it's just taking forever to see if there's been any improvement with growth, but I'll take it over nothing.
    My hair texture has finally softened, rather than it feeling dry and coarse.
    I think the vitamin d has been helping quite a bit.
    But this thin patch has me freaking out now.

3. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think for me the Omegas have helped my texture. Sorry to hear about the patch. I have 1 in that area too and also have SD on that area. Seeing growth is hopefully though!! Keep with what you are doing.

4. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to feel down about my hair again. While the warm weather has finally helped with my sd, I'm starting to shed finer, shorter hairs. Normally I would take this as a good thing, but it has me feeling a bit scared now. My shedding has gone way down compared to the 200 a day from before, but these short hairs have me a bit worried. And of course the thin patch near my crown. Ugh, is it supposed to look a bit worse before it gets any better?

5. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just a minor update.
    My shedding has finally tapered off, I'm starting to lose around two to three hairs when washing and around ten from brushing after washing. This has been the lowest my shed has been since my hair loss started. But now I'm noticing that my hair and scalp are dry recently. It happened around the same time the shedding tapered off. Is it normal for hair to go through a textural change as shedding tapers off?

Also been dealing with a slight burning sensation for the past two days, hopefully it doesn't mean more shedding soon. My ponytail is already over halfway gone, can't afford another shed.

Still waiting to see if my hair fills in more, but I know I will have to impatiently wait and see if there is any improvement.

6. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    My scalp is also dry. I wonder if the harsh shampoos did it for you? I know had period of very dry hair as well and seem to shed more when I do.

7. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Could possibly be it.
    My hair feels much better today after loading up on the conditioner away from my scalp last night.
    I think switching the same brand of shampoo with a different scent to it may have done it.
    My hair never felt that dry even using the keto shampoo, which I haven't used in nearly two months now and have gone without a flare of SD, I still have a few spots left, but they're so much better now.
    My derm advised me to just use the clobetasol foam twice a week instead of everyday, so now I use it every Monday/Sunday.
    No more superficial folliculitis!
    Hopefully the sparsness of my middle part will thicken up soon, it got so bad because I had a long line of SD starting from the front of my head and tracking back to where my part ended, I still have a couple of light pink patches in the center, but the flaking and inflammation have died down quite a bit. I guess it was just taking a bit longer to treat because I had let it go for so long untreated.
    Have you ever noticed that in some of your SD spots that there was a little bit of wiry hair growth?
    I had a few in my crown, which still freaks me out, but I'm hoping it's just from trying to grow in the midst of the inflammation.

8. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I get those. I think because they cant grow properly in since the SD is there. So are you pretty much clear? If so, what do you think did it? I started on Caprylic acid and doing a little better.

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not completely cleared, but there's been such a great improvement. The itching is gone, my shedding has tapered off, I still get the burning sensation every now and then but it's mostly when I stress or eat too much sugar.
    I think it was an immune response, since eczema runs on my moms side of the family. I think my plummeting vitamin d levels didn't help much with it either.

Now I just have to wait patiently and see what happens hair growth wise. Hopefully something good comes out of it, I really don't want to have to deal with the constant anxiety and depression. I have noticed I'm starting to shed the sickly looking hairs, not in abundance, just every now and then. My left temple that thinned out from an SD is slowly trying to recover.

The waiting game is going to be so hard.

10. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm also dealing with iron related issues too.
    I haven't felt this exhausted before.
    I'm always tired no matter how much sleep I get. It's getting horrible.
    I take care of my sibling who is mentally and physically disabled, and with the tiredness I'm dealing with, I end up falling in and out of sleep by mid afternoon. Such a huge concern because he also has asthma issues as well.
    I think I will just take a low dose slow release iron as a therapeutic dose and see where it gets me. I don't know why I ignored my doctor when I was around sixteen, was told I was low in iron, now years later it finally caught up to me. Ugh.

11. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, figured out my dry hair and scalp issues.

For the last week or so, I haven't been eating that much or drinking much water (most of that time had been spent sleeping off and on, unfortunately). Guzzled down about six cups of water this morning and ate, now my hair and scalp feel fine.

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Thats good!! Stay hydrated! Ive been really tired lately and found out my ferritin is a 4. Shedding so so much too! :(

13. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a long time since I've been here, things aren't much better, and somewhat worse now.
    I think I've built up a sensitivity to SLS shampoos. Ugh. Been washing my hair with these shampoos all my life and never experienced any issues until now.
    Now whenever I wash my hair I get the burning sensations a short while after and it lasts almost all day unless I use something to cool off my scalp, going out in cold air included.
    I seriously feel like I can't win. I can't even get to my last two refills of my prescription for my clobetasol foam and nizoral because my health insurance had expired, and had no access to a computer for the last few months until recently. So now I have to file an appeal while my scalp pretty much feels like crap.
    My hair loss isn't any worse than it has been, if anything it's improved. I'm not shedding as much as I used to, but at the rate it's going now I might be back at square one all over again in the next couple of months.

This is so frustrating.

14. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Hey! Just saw this. Sorry you are not doing better. I actually came on here to see if you were. I had times when I was so much better getting so much growth and now for the past month it has ben really bad again. :(

15. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like me

I have been losing my hair for a year now. It started 2 months after I got sick..It was a pretty intense illness. I would go into detail but I doubt ya'll would know what I was talking about..it's rare. Anyways during this time I was stressed to the max..As my illness could have meant death or long lasting and basically cost me a job I needed to keep..I lost 15lbs in 2 weeks and was on lots of meds..My hair was coming out in handfuls. just all of it...for weeks...it filled up the drains it was everywhere. i lost maybe 40% right off the bat..That shedding slowed down and then my hair all over my body started to join in. it would fall out grow back and continues to do that now..arm hair, back hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, The only reason I know my eyebrows are growing back is because I have this one white one that falls out and then grows back..and so far has continued to do so. I would think after a year of losing them if they weren't growing back they would be gone..They are thinner than they used to be. But my hair...is horrible it's 70% thinner i would say. I can't wear it curly anymore because it looks horrible and it falls out all the time..all different lengths and thickness.. thin hair thick hair white hair..it just falls out.. my scalp doesn't look or feel like it did before, its oily and dandruff..which I kinda had before but now it's horrible and my skin on my face is just as bad..and oily and dry..its odd..no doctor has helped me yet..I have kinda gave up. No insurance at the moment. This has been a very rough year..I wish we all just got better!!

16. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too Chelle! My scalp has got super oily ever since the shed began....

17. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it's been a while since I've posted here.
    Still dealing with scalp issues, which I am now thoroughly convinced that my issues have never been seborrheic dermatitis.
    I'm more than certain that my scalp issues are stemming from scalp psoriasis.
    A few years after the scales developed on my scalp I'm now dealing with patches on my elbows, certain areas of my stomach, and my knees.
    My only saving grace from the constant itchiness from scalp dryness has been mane n' tail shampoo and conditioner, but it's still not getting to the root of the problem.
    I can't use t-gel because I get consistent headaches from the fumes. Kind of running out of ideas in terms of shampoos or any home treatments I can use to help with the scaling until I'm able to get back my insurance. While my hair shedding has been significantly reduced, my scalp has been unable to recover much because of the thick adherent scales, and it's severely frustrating. I'm honestly surprised with how long I've had these issues that I've been able to get away with having long hair, despite the major decrease in volume.
    Oh, the things life loves to throw at us.

18. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    there S A GREAT FACEBOOK GROUP CALLED PSORIASIS HEALING WORRIERS.

19. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just here for an update since I don't come on here as frequently as before.
    This past month has been hell for me.
    This all started back before Thanksgiving. I had a prolonged and heavy period for about two weeks, started getting very bad, daily indigestion, anxiety, nausea, insomnia, heart palpitations, and excessive belching. This has been going on for weeks now, and these symptoms just came out of nowhere, and I'm scared. I went to urgent care and the er the Saturday before Thanksgiving because I knew something was wrong, at urgent care they did a throat x-ray and found some mild inflammation, told me to take OTC antacids, and sent me on my way. I got home and decided to rest, I was up for days off and on because I was afraid to sleep. After waking up from a nap, I started panicking again, so I had someone take me to the er. There they ran blood tests for thyroid, diabetes, and other things, all came back fine. EKG came back perfectly fine as well. Had high bp that has now resolved since it was due to dehydration. Due to the anxious feelings I was told to seek psychiatric help, and to follow up with PCP. I left with a prescription for omeprazole, which helped ease some of the symptoms, but I knew it wasn't the answer. That Tuesday I saw my pcp's pa for a routine physical and described my symptoms, got prescribed 10mg's of lexapro, and was sent to a cardiologist for a 24 hour holter monitor, thankfully came back normal except for a few extra beats. Lexapro has not helped me at all, the anxiety is still there, and I feel worse than I did before. So I went back for my follow up with my PCP and begged her to check my iron, so I asked for CBC and Ferritin tests, have yet to get results, I figured it was worth a shot. Since all of this occurred around the time of my period, I thought low ferritin or possible anemia may be contributing to these symptoms. As of right now, I feel like a mess. I'm always tired, I have no appetite, and the little bit I do eat, I get anxious after eating, I'm still belching from the time I wake up until I fall asleep, the palpitations are still there. I feel like I'm back at square one and feeling so low. I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm still waiting for a call back to get counseling for this. I'm just a wreck, things have seriously been crazy.

20. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hairloss and my hairloss are similar. When I first started losing hair, it was all Over density, then my temples and hairline receded, my eyebrows started to creep in from the inner part, my eyelashes thinned and grew shorter. The hairs around my hairline became miniaturised, wiry, wispy and thin. It got so bad that I shaved half my head so I could flip what was left over and hide my recession. I was eventually diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia via scalp biopsy because of the miniaturisation, but my derm said “we can’t rule out chronic TE either. Could be either or both”. Same year I was diagnosed with something called hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. So my brain basically stopped producing female hormones. That year I was put on the pill (Diane) for my hormones, Rogaine for hair regrowth and Spironolactone to hopefully stop hair loss. Well I did regrow a lot of hair, but the shedding never stopped, not even with all the meds. My hair is now at the point where it’s going to become obvious very soon that I am losing my hair. It’s so thin like a little kids hair that it just feels like a fine sheet of silk barely covering my scalp. I’ve had blood work ups done and I am severely ferritin deficient and also have raised testosterone levels. All I can say is I just keep trying to treat things as they crop up and hope something will stop my hair from falling out. Maybe it IS chronic te from hormonal imbalance or anaemia? Maybe it’s both Androgenetic Alopecia and chronic te? All I know is that I’m wondering around in the dark most of the time searching for answers. I truly truly hope you find yours.