Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Loss Linked To Mthfr Gene Mutation

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Emily Lasance, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Emily Lasance

Emily Lasance New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been losing hair for 3 years with an unknown cause. Last year, my hair loss suddenly stopped for 3 months, and then returned. I've struggled a lot in trying to determine if any of my psychiatric medications have been the culprits (most of them have the potential to cause hair loss), and I've therefore played around A LOT with my meds -going off of them, then going back on because my depression or ADHD gets out of control, then going off of them because I end up reading another first-hand account of hair loss associated with them. It's been hell. Anyways, my point is that one of the medications that I realized I had been on around the same time that my hair loss subsided is a dietary supplement called l-methylfolate. I started taking this due to chronic depressive symptoms, after having read a good bit of research on how it is helpful for a gene mutation (MTHFR) that a huge percentage of people struggling with depression have been shown to have. I had stopped taking it because I hadn't noticed a huge decrease in my depression, and I didn't link it to the cessation of my hair loss at the time. SO, I started taking it again about a month ago, and I've noticed that my hair loss has again decreased substantially. While I haven't seen any regrowth, I wanted to share this experience incase it could help any of you. It turns out that this gene mutation is not only linked to depression, but hair loss as well. When someone has this gene mutation, it affects their absorption of folate, which can in turn lead to hair loss. I've included some links that might be helpful to read:

https://www.wellnessresources.com/n...a-areata-linked-to-thyroid-celiac-methylation
    https://www.the-healthy-diet-paradise.com/hair-loss-diet-2.html
    https://www.1stopwellbeing.com/supplements-and-herbs/folatefolic-acid/hair-losshair-regrowth

There is a test you can take to determine if you have the gene mutation, but I never got it and just wanted to give the supplement a try. The brand of l-methylfolate that I take it Metabolic Maintenance 10 mg. I don't know that this is an answer for me, as I tend to be skeptic regarding just about everything. But, if nothing else, maybe you can learn more about whether or not this gene mutation is affecting you.

Good luck! And I will continue to update my progress.

2. RoxyT

RoxyT New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much for sharing this!

3. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm interesting I too have the mthfr gene 677tt or something like that lol we’re you low in folate? I do take multis with folate not folic and steer clear of folic all together I choose the methyl friendly b vitamins as well. Interested as to how your doing