Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Loss - Not sure whats wrong

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Anj0304, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Anj0304

Anj0304 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,
    I have been quite worried lately that I have female pattern baldness. It doesn't feel as thick as It used to and sometimes when I run my hand through it a few strands come out. Sometimes strands come out and sometimes some of those strands are thinner then others.
    I went to a dermatologist 6 months ago and he did a pull test which was fine and he also looked at my scalp with something that magnified and he said that my hair follicles look fine. He also ordered a blood test which I had a few weeks ago as I stopped the pill earlier this year and my period has only just started coming back more normal.
    I saw him again about 2 weeks ago and he said my blood tests were all fine. He also did another pull test which was fine as well and he looked at my scalp again with the magnifying thing and he said that looked good too.
    I am still worried as a few more strands are coming out then usual and it still doesn't feel as thick as it used to.
    I am just wondering what else could be causing this?
    And could it be possible that I do have female pattern baldness?
    I don't have a widening part but my hair feels not as thick and my crown feels like theres not as much hair there, the dermatologist did look at my crown and said it looked ok but I still feel that something is wrong. I am very scared and worried
    Thankyou

2. rapunzelhair

rapunzelhair New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anja, thinning at the crown can also be a result of telogen effluvium. Did he write down ferritin when he ordered the blood test? That's an important number to know.

3. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    hi, I am trying to upload my test results but I cant upload the pictures. do you know how to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry didn't realise I had already uploaded

Attached Files:

4. JayPea

JayPea New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your ferritin levels aren't particularly low at 71. If the pull test is coming back fine you might not have too much to worry about. Maybe you could request an actual scalp biopsy?

It might be related to stopping the pill, I can't speak personally as I've never been on it but maybe your body is just responding to that change and will regulate itself soon?

5. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks jaypea. Is the pull test to test both for te and Androgenetic Alopecia? I will request a scalp biopsy i think. Also can a bad diet (binge eating on alot of carb foods and sugar) cause hair loss or loss of thickness as i did use to binge eat (i did not throw up though - i only ate alot of food in one sitting regularly)I am in the process of eating healthier and trying not to binge eat

6. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    The pull test is for TE

7. JayPea

JayPea New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think binge eating in itself can cause hair issues, but carbs and sugar certainly won't make your hair healthy. I'm a firm believer that a good diet is crucial to hair health, especially eating lots of protein. I've had a crappy diet for many years and I think that probably contributed to my loss as much as anything. Try to incorporate more protein into your diet- it's the building block of hair after all.

8. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    thankyou for your replies.
    I will definitely try to have more protein

9. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I was just wondering when you have a shower and your hair comes out is there any way to distinguish whether it is Androgenetic Alopecia or te by the strands that come out? I had a few short strands come out today maybe 3 cm and some 1 cm or so and they look thinner the rest that came out www longer strands. Is this a sign of Androgenetic Alopecia?