Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hair loss pic

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by forks, Apr 1, 2009.

1. forks

forks Guest

Here are pics of my hair loss... my loss is diffuse and started in approx Jan 07.

I never had thick, coarse hair, but now the ends are disappearing and are see-thru. I can't even wear it down anymore, I live in a low pony. I am seeing more scalp up front after every wash (2-3x a week), but the ends are really showing it more than the top. I should probably chop it above my shoulders but I really don't want to. I've always had long hair and it has been my security blanket :$

I should post pics of it in a pony/baseball hat. That's really sad...

Attached Files:

2. medusa

medusa Guest

Re: Before/After pictures

OMG Hair*Envy! My hair looks so much like yours currently! I never had as much as your before pic. I always wore my long too. My hair was always somewhat fine, not super thin, but I had a lot of it so it looked great. Now, mine is so much like your, see-through at the ends and even through the density of all of it.

Are you wearing a topper yet? I've decided that over Spring break I'm going to start wearing mine to get somewhat used to it before I come back. I can't wear my hair down and haven't been able to for the last couple years. What is your diagnosis and meds, if any?

3. alicat

alicat Guest

Your hair looks completely normal to me (from this pic).

What I noticed first, is your gorgeous figure! :) Lucky you!

4. forks

forks Guest

medusa....nice to know I have a partner in crime! :)
    Is your hair/topper curly or straight? I saw a topper stylist who said she can see that I am thinning but that I'm not yet ready for a topper, maybe a couple more years. I'm definitely going with a bonded one when the time comes.

I went thru an ordeal with a dumb Derm, and a scalp biopsy shows possible Androgenetic Alopecia, but I also have an autoimmune condition that I think is causing the loss. Unfortunately no meds can help. My Rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil but it hasn't done anything for me.

alicat... it may look normal to you but it's definitely not for me and how it was up until 2 yrs ago! I used to have solid hair down to the middle of my back and now it's just scraggly. The body was BB (Before Baby) ;)

5. miche777

miche777 Guest

Thanks for posting pics! You're lucky that you have curly hair that actually grows long! Mine used to be down my back but now, each time it gets to my shoulders, it's so dang stringy looking, I end up cutting it again. :thumbdown2:

Well, if it's autoimmune and those meds aren't helping, that sucks. If it's (even partly) Androgenetic Alopecia, could some hormones help? Rogaine? DHT blocker? Maybe worth a try....your hair is still very pretty. I hope you can keep it from thinning further. Maybe it's just my mentality about this whole hair loss thing, but I'm all about bringing out the "big guns" if all else fails (rogaine, Spironolactone, you name it; just put the time and effort into whatever you try, to give it a good chance).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

6. alicat

alicat Guest

That's why I said it looks normal in the pic. I totally believe you when you say your hair is thinning/thinned. My intention was to let you know that at least in pics your hair looks ok! Plus, your body looks good too ;)

7. forks

forks Guest

That's one reason I hated (and dropped) my Derm. I told him I wanted to do Spironolactone and Rogaine and he said ,"let's take it one step at a time". :badmood: I went thru such a hard time with him that I had to take a break from Derms/doctors for awhile. I should probably try a new one.

8. nellas04

nellas04 Guest

Your hair near your scalp still looks so thick. If you cut the thinning parts off into a cute bob I bet you would love it.

Thanks for sharing I notice your great figure too. I love your thin arms.

9. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Hi

My hair is below my shoulders and I know what you mean about not wanting to cut it even thou it is see thru, I always had long hair and I also cant bring myself to part with it as bad as it is.
    I have a few things going on and an immune issue also, thyroid, I think the diffuse hairloss comes from this. :shakehead:

10. medusa

medusa Guest

Hi Hair,
    Actually, when I had my normal hair I used to blow dry it straight. Now I wear it naturally which is wavy/slightly curly. Thank gawd because this is what makes my hair look full. It's all an illusion. But I'm so sick and tired of spending an hour on my hair only to have it look like a fluffy, rat's nest.

My topper is synthetic, straight and is styled how my normal hair used to look. However, it has so much hair that I think it looks fake. It's really beautiful though and after I get a human hair topper I will try to sell this one. My new thought is to get a hh topper and have it cut to shoulder length or shorter (shorter than my bio hair right now) and lighten it a really blonde color (it's dirty blonde). Maybe the drastic change in length and color will make people just think my topper is just my new hair-do. I would like to find a place that sells human hair that's curly. My other problem is trying to find someone to style and cut the topper. Although, just today after washing my hair I noticed that my right side is so thinned out. I'm not sure I have enough to hold onto a topper, especially if I continue this constant shedding. UGH!!!

nellas,
    I also noticed she has a lot of hair at her scalp. I'm not so lucky.

miche,
    I'm just like you and am "pulling out all the guns" with the meds and Rogaine so I know I've tried everything. If it doesn't work at least I'll know I tried and I'll never have to kick myself and wonder, "what if..."

11. forks

forks Guest

brokendreams/nellas... I 100% know how you feel brokendreams! I know it would look better if I cut it above my shoulders but I can't bring myself to do it yet. I cut a lot of the scragglies off awhile ago and regretted it, thinking I'd rather have it long and scraggly than shorter. Stupid thinking, but I can't help it. I need Cher to smack me like she did Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck... "Snap out of it!!"

medusa... illusion is right! My hair is fine, and even back when it was good, people would touch it and be surprised it wasn't as thick as it looked. And another wig stylist that I saw said she thought my hair would have been thick back when I straightened it, but it wasn't at all. I think when I go to a topper I'll want it straight. I've always wanted straight hair!

12. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

There is always someone who will say I dont have a hair problem then I tell them "feel this" or I lift the scraggly bottom layer up, then its a different story, then it is "now I see what you mean.

I dont have split ends either just whispy thin.......

13. forks

forks Guest

Re: Before/After pictures ** MORE PICS ADDED

Here are more. Makes me want to puke.... I don't even remember my hair being like that anymore :(

14. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

*HUG*

I know what you mean about the long hair security blanket. I had long hair as a kid, and though I cut it off in my early teens and kept it pretty much at shoulder length or a little above, when I started losing my hair noticeably, all I wanted was long hair, b/c I was afraid I couldn't have it anymore. You'll get to the point where you're ready -- it took me a while, but now it feels (and looks) so much better.

P.S. The only one that makes me think "Oh, man, her hair is thinning!" is the baseball cap pic. While I totally believe that your hair is much thinner than before, everyone is right that your roots still look thick, and that's the biggest thing!

15. forks

forks Guest

Thank you for the support :mrgreen:

16. forks

forks Guest

finale.... I think one of my worries with cutting it above my shoulders is what if it looks bad/worse? Then I can't even do the low pony. It's like there's no going back. I may just start doing a low "bun" so at least the scraggles are tucked away :dunno: ...at least until I find some courage!

17. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Hair*Envy, I TOTALLY know what you mean about going short. I had this struggle before I finally just chopped it all off. I was convinced that it would look thinner/horrible with my face shape, etc. But, I seem to be one of the lucky ones who was made for short hair. However, shoulder-length hair could work just as well for you (or better, b/c of your curls) when you get the courage up.

I think there are sites that will tell you what cuts look best with your face shape, and will tell you how to determine your face shape. This can help narrow down options, maybe?

Here are two that I stumbled across:
    http://www.visual-makeover.com/face.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_1000376_determi ... shape.html

18. medusa

medusa Guest

Hair*Envy,
    Maybe you could try what I do. I pull all of my hair up in a claw clip in the back. You could have some of your curls hanging out of it. Then if the curls look straggly people will just think that just a few hairs are falling out from the clip. Do you know what I mean? I even sometimes wear a "wrap around" hair piece that I wrap around the claw clip to make it look like more hair is coming out. It's small and I got it at Sally's Beauty supply.

19. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I can't tell the difference, but it's also shorter in the second picture which is most likely giving you more lift (especially since it's curly). I think your hair looks great, really. I'd be so happy with that.

20. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

i can tell a pretty significant difference. Sorry girl :(