Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hair loss pic

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by forks, Apr 1, 2009.

1. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: Before/After pictures ** MORE PICS ADDED

Do you know why your hair is thinning? I see you listed diffused Androgenetic Alopecia. Did you get a second opinion?

I ask these questions because your hair looks exactly like mine! The shot of your hair from the back looks almost identical to my hair. I have the same color and texture.

However, my dermatologist told me I have telogen effluvium. I had my physician check my serum ferritin and vitamin D and they were both low. I've read low levels in either ferritin or vitamin D can cause hair loss.

You mentioned having a baby. Were you losing hair prior to getting pregnant? My hair loss started "after" having my baby and then continued until my next pregnancy. Of course, the hair loss resumed after giving birth again. :( I'm beginning to think it's my iron that's causing my hair loss.

2. forks

forks Guest

CurlyQ.... Wow! So how do you wear your hair?
    My hair was normal before having my son in Sept 06. I had the typical postpartum hairloss when he was about 3mo old, and when it was still going on at 12mo and I was done nursing I figured there was a problem :roll:.

My ferritin was only 22 the last time I had it checked (which has been awhile) so I'm sure it's still well below 70. I was taking that Floradix iron supplement but had to stop when I had a colonoscopy in Feb and I never went back on. I'm going to go back on it for a month or so and then get my levels tested again. I take 2000 iu Vit D every day so I doubt that is low.

In getting this hairloss checked out, my labwork shows I probably have an autoimmune issue, and I think that is what's causing my hair loss. I know I need to work on getting my iron over 70 to see if it helps, though. I'm also going to try a different Dermatologist since my last one was a moron, although it seems like none of them have a clue about hair loss! The first one I saw didn't even want to do labwork.

shwag... thanks for the honesty ;) no, seriously. My mom tells me she can't see a difference but I know she just wants to help me feel better. I'm too afraid to ask any other family/friends.

medusa.... do you mean put it up in the clip like a french twist? I should check Sally's.

finale... thanks for those websites! I'll have to play around with those when I get a chance. And now that you mention it, I have to STOP wearing the pony/baseball hat!! Seeing it in a pic..... augh.

angie...I know a year from now I'll look back at these pics and think it looks great, but I sure don't now!

3. medusa

medusa Guest

Hair*Envy,
    Like CurlyQ, my hair is just like yours as I told you but not quite as curly. I was also diagnosed with TE, not Androgenetic Alopecia. I've read that TE can last up to 6 years and if that's true my hair is going to shed for at least that. I'm at the 5 year point now.

What autoimmune disorder do you think it is that is causing your hair loss? I saw in your post that you had a colonoscopy. Do you have colitis? I do, but all of the docs tell me there is no correlation between the two.

As far as the hair style, it is sort of like a French bun. I just grab my hair like I'm going to put it in a ponytail, twist it up and then grab the hair with a claw clip and attach to my head. The ends spill out over the top of the clip. This style works for me because I don't have a wide part and it just looks like I have way more hair than I really do.

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

HI

Are you thinning only from the bottom of your hair or the top as well?

The hair before your ponytail looks real thick..

5. forks

forks Guest

medusa... I know exactly what you're talking about now with the hair clip. I'll have to practice that. Even with normal hair I was inept at doing things with it! How big is your claw clip??
    The colonoscopy was just because colon cancer runs in my family. Luckily I'm all clear! :mrgreen:
    My labwork is pointing towards a form of limited scleroderma, although so far the only symptoms I have are esophageal dysmotility (basically problems swallowing, but I had surgery to fix it and have been doing great)...and the hairloss, and my Rheum thinks I could just have a mild run of it...GOD WILLING.
    I'll have to go read up more on TE. I also need to find a better Derm but I feel like there's nothing more they can do for me. :dunno:

bluebird....I'm thinning all over but the back is/shows it worse. I am slowly seeing more scalp after I wash, but the curliness up top helps hide it I guess.

6. forks

forks Guest

Re: Before/After pictures

Banished the "before" pic....

7. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Re: Before/After pictures * ANOTHER BEFORE PIC ADDED*

Beautiful picture. You still look lovely now even with the hairloss. I dont even look at pics of my hair anymore from before this all started.
    I just wanted to scream so why torture myself.

;)

8. alicat

alicat Guest

i can't look at before pics either. i feel so sad when i do that. i am trying to make myself forget that i ever had beautiful hair!

9. medusa

medusa Guest

Me either. Looking back is just pure torture for me. I have to learn to accept that this is my new reality.

10. kimm

kimm Guest

Add me to the list.

You can also tack on "before baby body" too!

11. brandy32

brandy32 Guest

gosh, before baby body. Those are pics that haunt me!!!

12. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

I don't understand how docs can say there is no correlation... I mean colitis interferes w/ nutrient absorption... and certain nutrients are needed for hair health

13. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

:agree: I just read an article that also mentioned hemorroids and hairloss, I would think anything that says the body is not running right would be cause for hairloss. :dunno:

14. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Hair envy I agree with what Robin said, totally. Inflammed colon, or a colon that is irritable cannot absorb nutrients.

I think I am with you on some immune malfunction. At times I think Androgenetic Alopecia mixed with auto immune. My hair is about the same color and texture as yours. I should PM you a photo of my mother her hair looked alot like yours did but she did not have Androgenetic Alopecia. Looking back I wonder if she had some anemia type loss and texture changes. My hair is now taking on my mothers texture but I am also thinning as well, gosh it's not often I see similiar hair, not that I am saying yours is bad you have lovely hair but most hair I see is thick manes not finer.

Just to mention to you I am supposed to have a colinoscopy due to pain in my abdomen and some bad gas issues. I think I have IBS or colitis and when you have these things you can get delpleted majorly in iron, b12 etc

15. forks

forks Guest

That wasn't my post about colitis! Luckily all's well down there, colonoscopy was clear.

I got my lab results yesterday and my ferritin is 30, so my mission is to get that over 70.

Took my "before" pics off - why wallow in it?! :dunno:

mythreeboys - feel free to PM any pics! I'm always interested to see people with hair like mine. Good luck with your colonscopy!

16. medusa

medusa Guest

I have ulcerative colitis but most of the time I am in remission but the hairloss continues, remission or not. When my colitis was its worst, I didn't have any hair loss. Go figure.

17. forks

forks Guest

medusa - weren't you going to try a topper over spring break??

18. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Hair envy glad the colon is in good shape.

But when you have any autoimmune issues and any kind of inflammation, your body gets depleted of iron. About a year into my scalp and hair issues I noticed my fingernails had big lumps all over them and felt loose. On a whim maybe 6 mos ago I started taking black strap molasses. The lumps went away so for me the inflammatory issues depleted me. My ferritin ranged from 30-71 at it's highest but obviously it needed to be up.

As for hair well iron is just one of the pieces to the puzzle. It's not the wonder suppliment that will fix you but that combined with other thngs could just do the trick. Definitly get the ferritin up and keep it up.

I am going to find my mom's photo and pm it to you

19. forks

forks Guest

I got the blackstrap molasses but - :crazy: - it's hard to take!! I wish I knew what my ferritin was before this hair loss so I had something to compare it to.

20. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Blackstrap is not the best tasting that is for sure. I got used to it though and drink orange juice after I slug it down. I have a brand by house of herbs that I think tastes like motor oil :woot: but I keep taking it.

going to pm you now