Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair loss question

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Anj0304, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Anj0304

Anj0304 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I was just wondering with female pattern hair loss, how much hair do you shed when you lose hair? Also does anyone who doesn't have female pattern hair loss ever lose a strand of hair that is thinner then other strands?

2. misa

misa New Member

Dislikes Received:
    In my case, I am losing about 70-80 hairs per day (just guessing, because there are some that fall, and I don't notice them, on the floor/clothes/etc...). In general, I lose the thicker hairs, but I sometimes see very thin and short hair too

3. lmunoz10

lmunoz10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I am on the same boat as the first person who responded. I can sometimes lose like only 25-30 in the shower, but then I continue to lose some as I'm combing and styling my hair and throughout the day. Sometimes, that number spikes like crazy out of nowhere and I can even lose up to 60 just in the shower and of course I continue to lose more throughout the day so it'd be like at least 80 on those days. I also lose both long, thick hairs along with short, wispy, thin hairs.

4. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same boat. but for me, my shed seems to be seasonal a little. I find myself shedding more hair June/July and also winter time around November until late January, the winter shed is not as bad as the summer shed. I would say in my high shed month, I probably lose 150 on the days I wash and around 50 on the days I don't wash. I was every 2-3 days. During the low shed months, my numbers are half that. I also see hairs of different sizes, long thick hairs, along with short thin ones.

I have been to a hair transplant dr. and he said even in people with no hairloss, 10%- 20% of your hair will look in the miniaturized state. This translates to around 100 to 200 hair sheds a day. When the number exceeds that, is when you start seeing thinning. He looked at my scalp and I am in that range, so he said I don't have FPHL. But I am not convinced. I have very fine/thin hair, and feel I shouldn't be losing that much.