Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Scope Analysis

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Arisemysoul, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I recently switched hair stylists after my stylist said she did not have any clients experiencing hair loss. I went to a salon I went to years ago. I figured someone that has cut hair for a long time surely had dealt with clients with hair loss.

Anyway I saw the owner of the salon. She has cut hair for 35 years and has seen a lot of hair loss. Liked her a lot. She said my hair has a lot of regrowth in the crown and my left side. The right side (which is currently my thinnest) isn't showing much regrowth. She said it was a good sign that my scalp was "loosey goosey." She said my hair felt anemic. I think that is because it is miniaturizing. But she thinks it is my hormones :$ and that it will get better with time.

I go back on Thursday because they are having a special hair analysis day with reps from Phyto. I have used Phyto before and didn't realize they have a lot of products aimed at thinning hair. They use a special scope that magnifies the scalp so they can see (I guess) dead follicles, build up on scalp, etc. They don't claim to be able to regrow hair if it is Androgenetic Alopecia. But they do sell products that are suppose to help with what you have left.

I am scared silly about doing this. I have not received an official diagnosis yet. But deep down I just know it is Androgenetic Alopecia. I told this stylist I didn't know if I really want to know if it is Androgenetic Alopecia or not. She said, "Yes you do." My husband agreed. But I just feel like I will not be able to handle it if they say, "Yep, classic Androgenetic Alopecia." I will probably burst into tears.

I wish I wasn't this weak. But I think it is time to know. Probably this isn't even a definite way to diagnose my hair loss. But what if it is?

Have any of you had this done or heard about it?

2. Girlygirl

Girlygirl Guest

That sounds like a great idea I wish I could do it! I don't know any in this area that would do that. I go to a stylist now that says that she has no hair loss clients either...yeah no way...she is 26 and doing hair for over 8 or more years....there has to be but maybe she just doesn't know enough about it!!
    I just looked at the phyto website and they have products for Androgenetic Alopecia. I remember YEARS ago I used some kind of ampule of product but I don't remember if it helped or not....it would be good to look into tho. I saw that the one for chronic hair loss is patented and I wonder if there are any good reviews of that product??
    Please post back on what your results are...good luck!! I have been dealing with hair loss for over 17 yrs and still not sure what I have!!

3. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Please post your results!!

4. sadness

sadness Guest

arisemysoul, I have no helpful advice. Just wanted to let you know that I can understand the fear of knowing the truth and that it may be easier not to know and still have hope for a full recovery. On the other hand, if you do finally get a diagnosis, you will be able to mentally process it and make your next move instead of waiting in limbo. I myself wonder if I really want to know what is causing my hair to fall out everywhere. But I guess if we never know why, we wont be able to move on to a cure or acceptance. The point to this post is to say that I can understand you being afraid of knowing the real truth as I would be scared too. But I know that you will make the right decision for yourself and you will be able to handle the answers if they can find one. Im finding this hair loss thing is a very tricky thing to understand. Good luck!

5. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it was an interesting appointment to say the least. I was in a large shampoo/color section in the salon. There were several other women there waiting for their analysis or for regular appointments. One lady in particular (who had a head full of hair) sat 2 chairs down and listen to me and the phyto rep. the whole time! I definitely thought it would have been more private.

The rep. told me what he was going to do with the scope. I told him my medical history for this past year. So he really thinks my hair can get better. But when he did the scope, I saw good hair in some follicles but also quite a few follicles that looked puckered and had white looking hairs growing out of them. I'm guessed miniaturized hair growing out of dying follicles. He was not so sure and said as long as there is still hair there is hope? Since I don't have anything to compare it to, I'm just not sure what I was seeing. I did have some build up also.

He then pointed out which phyto products he thought I should use and then put some of them on my head. I noticed he used the products under "temporary thinning" and not the "chronic thinning due to genetics." That's a nice way to put it :$

While I'm waiting for these products to sit a while on my scalp, he brings in another lady who has had her treatment and then a wash and blow dry. They looked at her scalp a final time right beside me literally. I was embarrassed for this lady but I couldn't help but look. She was probably 15-20 years older than me and had obvious thinning hair. Well, the rep. went on and on about how much pinker her scalp looked. Which he says means it is getting more blood flow. Mine by the way looked white, not pink. What I saw on the screen looked just like my scalp :crazy: So I really think I have Androgenetic Alopecia.

He couldn't really tell me if I do or don't. Because I have had so much trouble with my thyroid, iron, progesterone, he thinks it can get better. I'm not believin' it tell I see it!! He said if a follicle had died and stopped producing this scope would not be able to pick that up.

He brings in yet another lady. She has a full head of hair and when he does the scope I couldn't see it because of a glare. But from what he was saying she had a great head of hair. Just the hair itself was dry. OH, how I wish I could have just leaned over and said, "Excuse me! Can I have a look at that!" He mentioned she had several strands of hair growing out the follicles which was good. He saw me obviously listening, and turned and said, "You had some too." But I didn't see any.

I forgot he also looked at the hair shaft itself. A lot of mine were "shiny" which he said meant they were weak hairs.

So that is it in a nutshell. I didn't buy everything he recommended. It is too close to Christmas. I asked my stylist to recommend one thing and she said the phytocyane treatment. It's a leave in product you can use every other day. I will post if I think it is helping.

I didn't break down in tears like I thought I would but this really didn't give me any hope. He said I have new growth but to me it looks miniaturized. Again time will tell but right now it is just showing me how much worse my hair looks every day.

I'm going to be brave and show some pictures I took this afternoon. These are without a flash but the lights in the bathroom caught my scalp just right. Looks like Androgenetic Alopecia to me :thumbsdown: Wish I had better news. My crown does look better and at one time I thought it would be the worst. I hope it looking better means there is regrowth. So that is my rose among the thorns :)

6. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

7. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    And one more. Time for some concealer! Anyone have suggestions for my color blonde. My JR concealer in blonde is a bit dark IMO for my hair. And the toppik I bought in blonde is WAY too yellow.

Attached Files:

8. ChicBun

ChicBun Guest

No, and I would not trust any analysis or diagnosis from a company that sells hair products.

I saw 15+ derms over the years and they all got my condition wrong. You cannot get an accurate diagnosis without a biopsy, and even biopsies can come out inconclusive.

9. worriedmommy

worriedmommy Guest

Sounds like you had a very interesting appointment and were able to get lots of information. What did the Rep mean when he said that the lady's scalp looked much "pinker"? Does a pinker scalp or white scalp help determine if you have Androgenetic Alopecia?

10. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think so. I think he said a pink scalp means there is a lot of blood circulation close to the surface and this is good for the follicles. I don't know. Maybe it does mean something. I need to google it and see what I can find.

Thanks ChicBun. I agree they are trying to sell you something. But in their defense, they don't make crazy claims about regrowing hair like some companies do. My stylist said beware of any product that makes that claim. They do make the claim that their products will improve what hair you still have.

11. Blonde

Blonde Guest

Very interesting appointment. I think it's a good idea to treat it like Androgenetic Alopecia while you also try to fix your other health issues. I think it looks like classic female hair loss so could be Androgenetic Alopecia. Also I think when you have medical problems it only amplifies the problem. Could be Androgenetic Alopecia and something else.

I started using Caboki (Blonde) for my hair. It's a tad dark (cuz I got highlights) but overall I like it. Your color is very pretty.