Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair strands question. Very worried

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Anj0304, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Anj0304

Anj0304 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I was just wondering when you have a shower and your hair comes out is there any way to distinguish whether it is Androgenetic Alopecia or te by the strands that come out? I had a few short strands come out today maybe 3 cm and some 1 cm or so and they look thinner the rest that came out www longer strands. Is this a sign of Androgenetic Alopecia? Some are a bit longer as well and they look thinner then some other strands and when I run my hands through my hair about 5 or so hairs are coming out. Are these all signs of Androgenetic Alopecia?

2. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you can tell Androgenetic Alopecia/ TE simply by looking at the strands. Those short fine hairs could just be new regrowth. I also think that some areas of your head have just thinner hair in general (for example the area right behind my ears has always seemed to have whispier strands). I think what's more significant is the pattern of hair loss and how your hair seems overall.

3. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    Thankyou for your reply. What is the pattern for hairloss for Androgenetic Alopecia? My hair feels overall thinner but i do not have a widened part does that mean Androgenetic Alopecia?

4. ElPatoEllington

Dislikes Received:
    I think the characteristic trait of Androgenetic Alopecia generally is a widened part but I think it can also take the form of diffuse thinning. They say a biopsy is the only way to tell for sure what type of hair loss you have, but even that can be incorrect! Hair loss is the worstttttt. Have you seen a doctor?

5. Anj0304

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask what diffuse thinning means? I have been to one dermatologist who doesn't think it's aha as I don't have a widened part but I have mad an appt with another dermatologist just to get a second opinion and maybe a biopsy. In the last week I have started to loose quite a bit of hair and it even feels thinner then last week. I don't know if this is the Androgenetic Alopecia pattern? Or if it could be because I stopped the pill 6 months ago and because I'm under a lot of stress at the moment. I'm just so worried

6. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    From my personal experience - it could be stopping the pill. It's happened to me twice in a row (because I didnt know what was causing it!). It lasts for months and months but my advice would be to let it take its natural course, don't start another pill, rogaine etc as once you stop these shedding will start again.

7. nat123

nat123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I shed copious amounts of hair when I stopped the pill

8. ElPatoEllington

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely say it's the pill too.. Your body is adjusting its hormones and that can really wreak havoc on your hair for a while. Diffuse thinning is when you thin all over your head... Not just at the part.