Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair thru the years...

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Blue Bird, May 8, 2009.

1. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I think your hair looks great in all of them. I do see the difference in the last one, but it's still more than your average person. I agree, that there are fuller parts than yours, but yours still looks completely normal. I think part of your problem is also the way your hair curls/waves. I have very curly hair, but my roots have always been straight, so it always looks thinner up there, especially since my hair is growing out now. Your hair is also straight at the top, but wavy at the bottom, so it gives a different illusion, which probably makes your loss more noticable for you, since naturally, with hair loss, we women will pay too much attention to everything.

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

The last picture was taken before the first and second ones, like YEARS before!!!

3. aries

aries Guest

BB - I know you are not happy with your hair, but I would trade heads with you any day.

4. jande1

jande1 Guest

BB - is this your hair now???

I am not seeing any issue at all or is this what your hair used to look like? It is absolutely beautiful either way. :)

5. aries

aries Guest

the second picture is current. :agree: your hair looks great!

6. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Thanks ladies

The current picture was a few months ago, before the shedding started again. I agree it looks fine in this pic because you cannot see the crown loss (but you can see scalp in the side part, which is my tightest thickest area "side" of my crown.) If I were to take pictures up close of my crown and middle part, you would see the thinning. I am in the office and cant take any of my crown up close right now.

7. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

i cant believe yet another thread has been started by you wanting opinions on your hair and more pics LOL, when will it end arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

8. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Your hair is finer in your 2003 photos. Your most recent looks like doulbe the hair in your 2003 pics therefore you can't have Androgenetic Alopecia it just does not work that way does it? Worse then better?

I have always felt you have the auto immune component going on here VS Androgenetic Alopecia - I know you got diagnosed Androgenetic Alopecia but quite honestly these doctors don't know jack shit other then guessing which is what they are all doing for all of us unless the biopsy shows otherwise.

I know you had Alopecia Areata, I personally feel based on your pictures this is autoimmune related shedding and loss. It's good that it's had imrovement.

Texture changes quite often are precursers to autoimmune disease and your post on cotton candy hair suggests the texture has rapidly changed like mine.

My hair looks like a clown, or like someone going through severe illness, I look sick flat and ungroomed. Your hair photo looks like a healthy persons hair

9. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

mythree

it does make sense that it coudl be autoimmune since my hair has changed back and forth so much. I also remember Nellas saying that her hair would go from thick to thin to thick again and that she was currently in a "thin" stage, thus the topper.

I just wanted to know if anyone thought it was strange that my hair was thinner all around in 2003 but not thinning on the crown like it is now.

Michele
    Remember, this is the mildly thinning forum and I was giving a little more background on how my hair has gone from thin to thicker to thinner again. It was not a "look how bad my loss is" post.

10. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

If I were you I would rule out Androgenetic Alopecia. I remember nellas saying it thickened then thinned, this is not classic Androgenetic Alopecia. I mean yea some of the Androgenetic Alopecia ladies can get more hair then it thins but classic Androgenetic Alopecia is a progressive disease that does not fill back in (unless someone is maybe a great responder to antiandrogen treatment/rogaine etc or on hormones thyroid etc)

2003 to now, that is 6 years. In 6 years Androgenetic Alopecia can take off and progress but your density is so full, long and thick. Androgenetic Alopecia it seems to me it would shorten the length/growth.

I'd focus on your health VS hormones - because Androgenetic Alopecia just does not look like this, a lush head of hair that thins and thickens. JMHO

11. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Unfortunatley, I already spent a couple years ruling out health probs. All my labs are and have been normal EVERY TIME. The only thing I have are thyroid antibodies, and the top endo in my county will NOT treat these...When I had Alopecia Areata my labs were NORMAL...

Everytime I get a shed or see thinning or more scalp, the Alopecia Areata episode comes back. SO this is part of my psycosis. Man I wish I had pics of that. It was worse than any Alopecia Areata photos I have seen on here.

Thank you for your support, and for not being mean to me.

12. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

BB, most blood work will come back normal. Mine has other then some odd hormones.

But your antibodies BINGO. There you go! Many with hashi's just have chronic diffuse loss, it's all part of the wonky immune system and the fact you have Alopecia Areata

I can understand the worry about the hair loss after having a bout of Alopecia Areata it's got to be on your mind constantly! How could it not be? It scars you I am sure!

I am sure i have immune issues yet so far negative ANA, ESR and all those but what else can explain this extreme texture change to that of a frazzled puppet look Androgenetic Alopecia just does not work this way hitting the nape and the lashes etc.

What I would try and do is just understand we have absolutely NO control over the destiny of our hair. But you do have control to stay healthy, eat right and take good vitamins. But the confusion of what kind of loss one has is the hardest because we reach into our bag of tricks trying to find the magic bullet when it just does not exist.

I am going to look into antidepressants, not because I am depressed, well wait I am but because I cannot handle stress well and I have heard of those who get on them actually see hair improvement because they stress less. Not suggesting you should get on one but some of us have a real hard time with this I know I do. I feel like I have lost a loved one every day.. hairloss is horrible

Hang in there

13. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

thats because the topic was covered in the other TWO threads that have been started by you, cotton candy and boyfriend LOL!!!!!!!!!! ok ill stop razzing ya bb..... ;)

14. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

you could always have diffuse Alopecia Areata...

15. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I didnt get to see the pics...

16. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I took em down cuz michelle was giving me a hard time, AGAIN.. :innocent: cuz I posted 2 other posts complaining about my hair.

17. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Oh geeezzz this is a hair loss website thats what we're here for!!! :)

18. alicat

alicat Guest

i agree. i have hashi's and my hair loss is crazy extensive for my age. :(

19. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

Ditto for me... I have Hashi's... my hair has thickened and thinned quite a bit over the past three years... my shed normalized in Jan. 2008 but I go through periods of high shedding which seem to thin out my hair (cyclical and seasonal)... and I go through periods of worrying/stressing out about it... but my hair looks better now than in did during the worst of my TE and I take that as a a good sign... that's what I try to focus on...