Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair Transplant did not help

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by sle200, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sle200

sle200 Guest

I've been reading the postings on this site, and felt I should post my results. I had hair transplant about 15 months ago. Shock loss was immediate, and I was assured it would grow back in. I was told it takes up to a year for all transplanted hair to grow in, so I was patiently waiting for the full results. Over a year later, the grafts grew in, but the hair lost in shock loss has not fully recovered. I have less hair now than before surgery. It has been devastating, and my hair all over continues to thin. I've asked why my shock loss has not grown back, but the doctors cannot give me an answer. It's frustrating.

I struggle every day with my appearance and am extremely self conscious about my hair. I use Toppik, and that is a life saver. Most people, even my hair dresser think it looks real enough. I'm starting Minoxidil, which my surgeon did not recommend, as I'll have to use it forever. I'm hoping it works. Better to use minoxidil and have hair than use a concealer every day.

I would love to know if anyone else who had surgery had the same problem with shock loss? I'm so worried the damage is permanent.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a hair transplant surgeon but opted not to do it. He said I was an okay candidate, not great. He would only do a "goose egg" size area at a time - since my loss is so diffuse that would mean multiple procedures, lots of money. Although the hair in my transplant area (nape of neck) is still my thickest, I continue to shed all over. There is no guarantee that the transplanted hair is immune to whatever is causing the rest of your hair loss - unless you have male pattern loss. I think you can be a little more optimistic then.

By the way, I now wear a clip-on topper. I'm not over the moon about this but glad that there. Was a cosmetic solution for me when Toppik was no longer enough.

3. sle200

sle200 Guest

I was going to the hair loss clinic for laser therapy for awhile. The surgeon there suggested the hair transplants several times, so eventually I was convinced it was what I needed. I regret the surgery every day, and am meeting with the surgeon again this week. He said he would do follow up FUE surgery to fill in the thinning, but I've since gotten another opinion, and was told I'm not really a good candidate. I'm so afraid of losing any more hair from my head.

4. colline

colline Guest

i had one and it did nothing much and lots of hair was removed too and now i have a huge bald patch but on the other hand would i have this anyway. I have no hope they said and will go bald that is all they can tell me so that is it really.