Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hair transplant Doctor Pros and Cons list

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by AsianFemale37, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Hi fellow hair transplant fans,

On most other hairloss forums (devoted to men :x ) have extensive and very detailed reviews of doctors around the world. I think it may be worthwhile for us to have something like that, just for the sake of having some information for people who may be thinking of going in for an hair transplant. I urge you to give as much detail as possible so that certain doctors stand out for us and certain doctors are clearly marked to be avoided.

My Story:
    1. I did over a year of research and read several medical articles on hair transplant procedures on women. I looked up the writers of the articles, and one name came up often: Dr. Jeffrey Epstein in Miami, FL.

2. I started a one year pretty intense email communication with him, and he was open to communicating via email. He presents himself as one of the very few doctors who are qualified to do hair transplant on women. Apparently it is because of a special technique he is created for the slits he cuts into the scalp, allowing for the grafts to implant. CAVEAT: I don't know if what he purports is true, but I, personally, felt that that sounded good enough.

3. His prices are steep, but I liked that a) he gave me a discount, and gave me a set price for 1200 grafts--based on photos I sent him via email of my donor area and the areas where I needed the grafts.

4. The service at his clinic was fantastic. The pre-op consultation was too short in my opinion, and I wish I had insisted more on where I wanted the hair, but the doctor had his own aesthetic ideas and he went with that. I will see if that was a good idea or not.

5. The procedure was almost 7 hours long. In between, I was allowed to take breaks and walk around. Also, the clinic provided a really tasty lunch (I didn't pay for it).

6. ALL medications were provided to me free of charge after the procedure. I had graftcyte (which itself is a hundred+ dollars), antibiotics, anti-nausea, valium, two types of pain killers, a bandana, all packed for me to take back to my hotel.

7. Dr. E. called me at night to check up on me.

8. The next day, the clinic washed my hair and counted the total grafts. I ended up getting 1600 grafts, but was charged for the $1200 originally quoted.

--
    Post procedure:
    1. Email responses were slow to my inquiries about my swelling, itching, what to do with the scabs, what the time frames are, etc.

2. Today Dr. E. did respond to my inquiries, and we had some disagreements on what I was told about post-op things like when the scabs will fall off or what kind of shock loss to expect, etc. However, I felt that despite our spirited "argument," he seemed at least willing to respond and take the time to hear me.
    ---

I DO NOT know if good service equals effective hair transplant. I don't know if my grafts will grow in. I don't know if the shock loss is permanent or temporary. I don't know if this was a good idea or not. I don't know what the future holds.

I do know that I researched for almost 2.5 years, and decided, based on the information I gathered, to fly across the country to get this procedure done with what seemed to me to be my best choice.
    --

OKAY, this is my post 13 days experience so far.

--
    Hope this helps someone :) . I am here for support and help, although I am leaning more for support from others right now because I am exhausted, depressed, and overwhelmed by it all :cry: . But I will try to help any way I can.

A big hug to everyone here!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

you know your stuff on that topic!
    best to ya!

3. angel706

angel706 Guest

If Epstein was your doctor, from what I hear half your battle is won because his results are good. I have researched him several times, as I have sometimes considered a second procedure to further fill in my temples and lower my very high hairline. I'm with you, I'm not quite sure I'm in line with him aesthetically, particularly when it comes to what I've seen when he's moving hairlines forward on women. In my opinion, he brings the temple points a little too far forward, which to me creates a slightly more "masculine" look. Just my two cents.

But I am hoping that you will get good results based solely on his past track record. From what I understand, he is one of the leaders in the business, both in results and ethics.

4. Thank you, CarolSkirt! I did years of research, so I am here to help anyone so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Angel: Yes, I went with Dr. Epstein because he is considered--from what I read and studied--one of the best HTs surgeons for women. I hope you are right that half the battle has been won. He says that his results are extraordinary, and I do know that people from around the world--clear across the oceans--fly in to see him. I think I should take his advice and really work on making this hair transplant a success through positive thinking, etc. In terms of the procedure itself, I cannot think of a more world class service. His office was first class from day one. I think his service is another reason why there is such a buzz about him. He is also a very engaging personality--not warm, but engaging. I know that he has been featured on TV and magazines, which tells me that he works with celebrities, but he would never disclose that I am sure--also, he is a very handsome man, and I am sure TV and magazines like that as well (the last point about looks=TV time is a completely speculative comment on my part).The thing is, most men get astonishing results--I am waiting to see if Epstein is as good with women as the buzz out there makes him out to be.

I completely agree with you on the aesthetics. If you ever decide to go with him, very very insistent about where you want the implants--before you the day of the surgery. I wanted my temples filled in because they are causing me the most pain, but he felt that the hair would be best served in the center and front line of my head. Let's see if he was right. At this point, I am happy if the hair comes in. Period.

5. scraggy

scraggy Guest

AF..

The more i read about all you have done in connection with this hair transplant...i think you have to be calm now...(am sending you Be Calm tabs...take 2 immedietly.. :) ) you have to take a deep breath, and say to urself, you have done the work, its now time FOR UR HAIR to do the work...and sadly it will take time...sooo deep breath ok...i am sure its going to be fine..as long as you are realistic, u will be happy...ok...time for me to get myself to bed...

Nite nite..Scraggy

6. reverie

reverie Guest

Hi AsianFemale, thank you so much for sharing your hair transplant saga with us. It helps those of us who are seriously looking into them. I started Androgenetic Alopecia at 25/26. I'm now 27 with only half my original hair density. :shock: I recently saw Dr. Epstein and he thinks that despite my diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia, concentrated mostly on top, I am a candidate but not just yet. I don't know if I agree...most other ethical hair transplant doctors don't transplant women with diffuse loss, but we'll see.

I agree with all of your comments above. He is not very warm or personable, and I felt like I was wasting his time, but maybe that's just his manner. He is indeed attractive...I was quite beside myself when he walked in, (not to mention embarrassed about what I was seeing him for. :$)

7. You are welcome, reverie. I am really here to help because there are not that many women who are undergoing HTs.

This is somewhat unusual, in my opinion. Most AGAs start losing their hair (not as noticeable) in their late teens it seems. But my hair was very thin by the time I was 28 or 29, so I understand how you now have half your original hair. I am really sorry for what you are experiencing and going through. it is not easy, and it is just not getting any easier for me as I get older and my obsession with my hair gets more intense. So my thoughts are with you.

You are right that most ethical hair transplant doctors wait to see what kind of diffuse loss is apparent in women. If the donor area appears somewhat stable (although for women this is less the case than for men), then doctors do HTs. I think personally that you should listen to Epstein's advice. you are still VERY young, and if in your mid-30s you find that your donor area was just as unstable, then your hair transplant and the thousands you will spend will be lost causes.

ALSO, you have a much, much, much higher risk of permanent shock loss when you have sufficient hair where the hair transplant will be performed. that is, doctors will have to make incisions closer to existing hair follicles, resulting in healthy hair getting destroyed.

So I would recommend waiting a few years.

I think that may be his manner with women. He seems to be very warm and engaging with male patients--at least from what I have read from male patients. But yes, his manner with me was also one of impatience, although he kept it in check because I made sure he listened to me when I was asking questions!

If you did not feel a personality connection, I would recommend that you try to consult with someone else. Finding a doctor you will click with (and who has an excellent reputation, of course) is important.

Keep in mind:For most of the procedure, the doctor will have nothing to do with the procedure. The technicians do 90% of the work. the doctor only cuts out the donor strip, sews it up, and then makes slits for the grafts. That's it. The technicians slice the strip, extract grafts, implant them. So, I went with Dr. E. because he is also a plastic surgeon, which meant that--hopefully--he will have placed the slits in the right places for the best effects. Also, I am hoping that his training means that his technicians are well trained as well.

I would have been embarrassed as well except that I was so exhausted that I didn't care at that point! But yes, he is definitely a hottie

8. HairOnTilt

HairOnTilt Guest

Reverie,
    What did Doctor E. mean by "I am a candidate but not just yet." ? I am a little confused. I just turned 29 and I feel your pain. I am starting to really stress!!! I need to get a move on treatments and I have to convince myself to start rogaine. I know it sounds silly but I may still want to get pregnant and I dont see it being a good thing to have to stop the rogaine during pregnancy! However, I can see my fate as some of my aunts are not even 60 and they have around 80 precent hairloss! Yikes.

9. nellas04

nellas04 Guest

It has been a year now. How do you feel about the surgery now?