Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hair transplant results

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by wall, Jan 26, 2007.

1. wall

wall Guest

Hi everyone,
    I just. returned from my 7month post op appointment and all I can say is WOW! When you look at yourself every day it is hard to see the changes... b/c the changes are gradual....

At the 7 month post op, Dr. Lam showed me my before and present pictures and there is such a noticable change.... for the better! I can not wait to see the before and after when I reach my 1year marker.

I allowed Dr. Lam to post my status pictures on his website.... so I will let everyone know when the pics are posted

:D

2. wall

wall Guest

3. Janices

Janices Guest

wall,
    I'm so happy for you (and also very jealous!). I can't wait to see the pictures. How many grafts did you have done? Was your loss/thinning all over the top or very localized? I'm still figuring out what to do. I've gone to one dr. and sent photos to Dr. Baumann. The local dr said I was a candidate, so hope other drs will too.

Janice

4. Janices

Janices Guest

wall,
    I'm so happy for you (and also very jealous!). I can't wait to see the pictures. How many grafts did you have done? Was your loss/thinning all over the top or very localized? I'm still figuring out what to do. I've gone to one dr. and sent photos to Dr. Baumann. The local dr said I was a candidate, so hope other drs will too.

Janice

5. wall

wall Guest

Hi Janice,
    My hair loss is pretty difuse (from the hairline back); however, I do have a nice donor supply (bottom of ear lobe down). I will never have the hair I had in my teens, but I can now go out of the house with out constantly thinking if someone can see my bald areas.

I actually went skiing last month and when I took off my ski hat (when my hair was matted to my head)... the bald area was not noticable.

Dr. Lam consider me a stage II hair loss and recommended 1600 graphs... it cost aprox. 7,000 total. I can not imagine receiving less than 1600... the focus of the graphs was on the hair line and my part.

I will definitely post again when my pictures are up on the site. In the interim, please feel free to ask any questions.

I started thinning around 22 yrs. old and began my research into options around 26 (I am now in my early 30's). It took me a good 4 years to decide and I can relate to the hesitation and the lack of information from female hair transplant individuals ....

Stay strong and possitive,
    Wall

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad you are having success. I looked into a hair transplant and the dr. told me I would need to know exactly what I wanted to cover. My donor area isn't that great (not the best but not the worst) and my thinning is pretty diffuse all over the top of my head. I could chose hairline and part area, but it wouldn't be practical to do the whole top of my head. I'm older (59) and my shedding continues unabated--I'm afraid that the follicles that were so lovingly transplanted would die away as the others have so I'm now looking into toppers. Great to hear how you are doing however!

7. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi Wall,

I am so happy for you and your transplant experience. I hope more women
    who have had positive experiences will come forward :D :D :D
    Things have changed in the last 15 years or so in the world of transplants
    and that's got to give us hope for the future. It sounds like you've got more confidence when going out--skiing and such.

Yes, transplants are expensive but they pay for themselves in the end.

Best,
    Moviegirl

8. Janices

Janices Guest

Hi Wall,

Did you do a virtual consult with Dr. Lam or was it an in person consult before scheduling the hair transplant? Do you live in Texas?

Janice

9. wall

wall Guest

Dr. Lam

I do live in Texas, I went for an inperson appointment. Both Dr. Lam and his hair transplant coordinator travel to present the new proceedure to fellow doctors ... so I would think it might be possible to have an inperson consult if he happens to be in your area...

I am unsure if they do vitual consults. I could find out for you. The staff at his office are amazing. I have never felt more comfortable talking or dealing with my hair loss in public. So, I would definitely feel comfortable asking for you or asking him for someone he recommends in your area.

10. wall

wall Guest

Moviegirl,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I really do feel more confident in public. I have read your posts and it is nice to hear that you have also had successful possitve experience with your hair transplant's.

If the area behind my hairline continues to thin as I age, it is assuring to hear that second transplants can be just as successful as the first.

Lily,
    Did you go through with the hair transplant or decide not to pursue a transplant? The proceedure for hair transplant has improved tremendously over the past couple of years.....I believe the doctors are more efficient with the hair extraction and with the strip extraction itself.

11. Janices

Janices Guest

Hi Wall,

I looked at the two youtube videos you had a link to. Does Dr. Lam have a website? How did your hair look immediately after the procedure? Was it thinner than before because of hairs cut during the procedure? Do you know what percentage of his patients are women?

Thanks for all the info.
    Janice

12. wall

wall Guest

hair transplant

I did not have to cut any of my existing hairs for the procedure. I don't think I would have done it if I did have to cut my hair. Dr. Lam does have a website: http://www.hairtx.com/ or http://www.lamfacialplastics.com

A snap shot of my hair transplant:
    The night before you wash your hair with a sterilizing soap (hibicin sp?). I met with the nurse anesthist and she gave me some calming med. i.e. Xannx or something. I chose to be under “twilight sedation†I was pretty much “out†during the strip extraction etc. I did “wake-up†or b/came conscious when the hairs were being put in … I could feel pressure, but absolutely no pain. Dr. Lam and his Hair Transplant Coordinator (Emina – who has an MD) perform the hair transplant. After my procedure I received individual phone calls from the nurse anesthesia, Emina and Dr. Lam himself…. Just to check on me. A very nice comforting touch to my proceedure.

I woke up the next morning. My forehead was a little swollen and the back of my head was sore… but not painful. I went out without a cap approx. a week after the procedure. (Actually, I went on a date… so it obviously was not noticeable).

I am not sure the % of women patients. However, I would imagine that all hair transplant PS have a relatively low % of women compared to their entire patient portfolio. Simply because women are more hesitant to turn towards HT’s.

Some of the women on the site might disagree with me; however, I looked for a Plastic Surgeon who completed a Facial Plastic Surgery fellowship. My ex told me that Hair Transplants, from a surgical perspective is fairly easy and can be very lucrative, so you want someone with a trained eye…who is accustom to working with small detail oriented procedures. That said, I still went through the interview process and asked to talk to someone who has gone through the procedure etc.

Here is a link to how the scabs look after the procedure (remember the scabs fall off no later than a wk after)

This is a link to a males experience with a hair transplant, but it provides good example of the procedure start to 6 months out.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... llery3.cfm

You can see the scabs in his picture. (He also shows a picture of his strip closure on the back of his head….I personally would not go to a PS that uses staples to close, and this guys example shows a stapled closure). My ex is a PS and stables are kind of “passé†in the PS world.

My existing hair covered the scabs pretty well. I did have some hairline work, so I had some that were not covered by existing hair. When the scabs fell off, it was a little pink for realistically about a month or two…. But nothing that can not be covered with powder or foundation. I use Studio Fix Mac powder, and that was all I need to cover the slight redness.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope it helps a little.... and feel free to ask any other questions

13. Janices

Janices Guest

Hi Wall,

I hate to keep bugging you, but the info you have is very valuable to me in helping me figure out what to do and I don't know who else to ask. My concern with the cut hairs is from my visit to a hair transplant dr here locally. He showed me the knife that he uses to make the incisions to put the grafts in and said that is is not uncommon for the hair to seem thinner just after the hair transplant because of the hairs that are cut unintentionally during the procedure. They start growing back right away but still that takes time. He gave me a sample of Toppik to get used to using to help cover up the extra thinness until those hairs grow longer again. Was that your experience? As I am very embarrassed about this whole situation, I don't want anyone to know I've done anything. Also, is your hair still shedding?
    I can relate to your comment about the ski cap. Once I put a hat on, it's on for the day no matter where I go or what I do.

Thanks again.
    Janice

14. wall

wall Guest

Please do not feel like you are bugging me at all! I joined the website to not only receive support, but to also give support and any advice I possiblly can...

I am not sure what instrument he uses for the proceedure, but I did not have any hair that was cut during the process. The actual incision is extremely small and then the hair is "poked" into the scalp with a very small instrument. Was he refering to shock loss? I was also worried about others notcing, and for that reason I stayed home the first week. After that week, other than the small patch on my forhead, the proceedure went unnoticed. Or at least no one said "did you do something to your hair... it looks different" (the comment I received when I started thinning) I wish I took pictures during the process... if I find any I will post them on the website.

If you do not mind me asking? How did you find this surgeon? Did he complete a surgical residency? I am just asking, b/c I want you to receive the best care.... we deserve it.

You might want to try calling the surgeons people on the site that have good results and ask for a good surgeon in your area. It does not hurt to ask as many offices.... if you have time, ask the dr. on this site for a rec in your area, call the miami guy and dr. lam for a local reference.

I know Movie Girl has had succes with a surgeon in NYC (if that surgeon takes on fellows you might want to find one of his proteges). I know my Dr. completed a facial plastic fellowship with a reknown surgeon in NYC.

Ask as many questions as you need. I am happy to help.

15. Janices

Janices Guest

Hi Wall,
    I don't think that the dr I saw for the consult is the one that I would want to do the procedure. I did a search for his name on another website and he didn't get very good reviews. There is one other one that I've heard about on a different website that is local. I may go to him for a consult but don't know if he'll be the one either. He's supposedly very good but also at least twice as expensive as most other surgeons (but the work isn't necessarily twice as good). I figure that the more I know the better decision I can make. I'm willing to travel if I have to.

I have sent pictures to Dr. Bauman on this website.

Are you still continuing to shed? Are you using Rogaine or any type of topical?

I can't stay home for a whole week so I hope whatever is done won't be too noticeable. I'm paid hourly so if I don't work, I don't get paid and I would have to come up with a good excuse for being gone that long. I'm a lousy liar :) I can probably come up with a plausible two day absence but not a whole week !

Thanks for all the info.
    Janice

16. wall

wall Guest

I do continue to shed, but I think it is normal amount. I do not count the actual hairs...but I think my sheding has been maintained with Rogaine. I continue to Rogaine and truly do not forsee stopping it... unless there is some miricle cure. It is has become a part of my daily routine (I have been using it for over 3 years). I never really viewed the hair transplant as a sub. for Rogaine, so I continue the use of it 2 x daily (2%).

I think if you do decide to move forward with the hair transplant, it is important to know that it is not going to "solve" the problem. I still have bad days, but I have much more hair than I did before the proceedure...but not close to as much hair I had in my 20's. The process of growing the new hair is a slow and sometimes painfully slow process.

As for being noticed....Can you get the proceedure done on a Friday and have the weekend and maybe Monday to recoup? I think with the right surgeon it should be fine....but make sure to ask the surgeon.

You might want to look at your states Medical Board to check to see if the PS has received any discipliancy actions. Most have not or have complaints cleared... but it does not hurt to double check. For example: Texas' Medical Board website is

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/boards/medbd.php

Also there is the ISHRS Medical Hair website, which lists all the PS in a particular area. You can also see the individuals degree... I was surprised to see that some DDS (Dentists) perform hair transplant's. So, do your research

Website: http://www.ishrs.org/doctor-search/doct ... ch-usa.htm

I logged on to the male hair transplant websites to research different PS's. You can find some useful advice about the proceedure, results etc.

I hope that helps a little... let me know if you have any more questions.

:)

17. Janices

Janices Guest

Hi Wall,

I think that my biggest "mental" problem will be accepting the fact that the hair transplant won't solve the problem and that I'll continue to shed. I would just like this whole nightmare to be over.

I've not used Rogaine, just Revivogen for about 20 months. I now only use that every other day (per the directions that is often enough after daily use for the first 17 months). I would have continued daily use, but my scalp does not tolerate the alcohol in it, and the meds to help the scalp would now cost me $200 for a 10 ml bottle (insurance and formulary change). I don't really know if Revivogen is actually helping or not. I'm afraid of Rogaine because of the alcohol and that I would have to discontinue it in the future.

I don't normally work on Mondays, so it's definitely possible to do a late in the week procedure and not have to go anywhere where people know me until the next Tuesday. Having to travel will complicate the scheduling a bit, but that is probably inevitable.

I'll let you know what the virtual consult comes back like.

Janice

18. wall

wall Guest

Dr. Bauman

Dr. Bauman,
    Thank you for your response. I have definitely have seen growth from the hair transplant. I have been on Rogaine 2% twice daily for aprox. 4 years. I have considered using Rogaine 5% foam at night; however, I am nervous about the intial "shed" that occurs.

Have your patients (or does research) indicate that shedding occurs when switching from 2% to 5% Rogaine?

Thank you,
    Wall

19. wall

wall Guest

Thank you very much for your response. It was extremely helpful.