Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair up...or hair down?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kitkatkitkat3, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Yeah having something bonded on would be a bit limiting I guess you're right.

I reckon if you're that self conscious about your hair then you should think about a wig - if it is making you upset on a regular basis. If your friends think you're weird then either they're not very nice friends (!) or they don't realise how much you're hurting. I don't know you but I'd be willing to bet that if anything, it's the latter. You seem lovely so I doubt you'd have mean friends!

I have one VERY annoying friend who constantly tries to play with my hair - if my part is a bit skewed she'll just reach out and try and straighten it out - I hate people touching my hair. I'm even becoming wary about my boyfriend touching it and I always used to let him play with it and stroke my hair...he still does it but I'm always like 'okkk but be gentle....'

2. alicat

alicat Guest

I really hope something works for you, BH!!! You're absolutely right in that you DON'T know if it will progress to where mine is today. I pray that yours doesn't. Man, mine started like yours---wide part, then thinning on the sides of the part...and now it's like that all down my head. grrrrr.

3. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Yeah, it totally blows! Especially when your man has a gorgeous head of long ass pantene hair.

4. alicat

alicat Guest

awwwww. yeah that would be hard. man...get him to shave his head!!! hehehe.

5. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

How long did it take for you hair to get from wide part with thinning on the sides to all over visably thinning??

How long did you have Just the wide part and was it stable ever?
    I had the kinda wide part in 2003 and I started rogaine, then it filled in some and remained stable for a couple years. Until 2007..

When you had the wide part like mine did you take any meds yet?

Sorry for all the ?'s
    thanks

6. alicat

alicat Guest

Ask away!!!

The wide part started when I was 18 and it was like that for I believe 7 years. Until I was 25. I went on Diane 35 when I was 21 (3 yrs into hair loss that wasn't that bad then, looking back on it).

So Diane 35 stabilized me enough that my hair loss didn't get worse. I was OK with my hair. I could go out and feel GOOD.

The probs seem to have started when my thyroid went retarded in 2004-2005. My hair loss SLOWLY got worse from 2005-2007. But when I went thru a MAJOR stressful period in Aug. 2007 I lost hair real fast and made my already thin hair AWFUL. I honestly don't feel that my hair will come back.

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

you sound a lot like me as far as hair time frame...exceot I noticed my loss in mid 20's...

There is always hope Alicat. Are you going to try a DHT blocker ever?

Do you think upping the thyroid med helped your shed stabilize?

8. alicat

alicat Guest

My shed lessened 4 months into taking vitamins, iron and eating more meat. the thyroid med uppage just started in late january. noticed less shedding early feb., so way too soon for the less shedding to be from the thyroid meds.

is there hope??? :lost:

at this point i am ok with a wig. a dht blocker would only halt further loss, wouldn't it??? i don't know much about 'em.

even when i wear a wig i'll probably try different meds and if one works, awesome...if not, well, at least i have a wig to feel good in :)

so mid 20s for you...so like hair loss for 5 or 6 years?

9. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

yeah I noticed my hair thinning one day in my mid-late 20's..so like, 26..? Then I strted Rogaine and wihtin a year or 2 had a lot of regrowth, it was great. The it stopped working on keeping my hair in the front especially, then gradually the partline again. It may be keeping SOME hair but its not helping the front or part stay stable.. So I had happiness for a few years, now I am freaking again....sad to see improvement then get let down again.

A DHT blocker is supossed to slow or stop loss and/or help regrow. If you take it early in the process the more likely regrowth will occur because the DHT effected follicles, if still alive, can start growing hair again.

I want a wig but I am embarrased.....I hate talking to the BF about my hair loss.....if I get a wig it will be sooo uncomfortable..... :sobbing: everyone will ask "why are you wearing a wig Heather" :(

10. alicat

alicat Guest

You hate talking to your bf about your hair loss? Is he not understanding, or is just because you're afraid of the subject?

I think I am in a good position to get a wig. I live in a city where no one knows me (barely), we have tons of credit (hahaha), and my hubby totally supports me. It's pretty much my family I would have to tell...but I know they'd be supportive and happy for me. It's not like my hair loss is a secret to them.

11. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

My family has not seen me since my hair got worse.. :(

I have been telling my BF for about a year that my hair is thinning and he always said I was imagining it. But since it has gotten worse (not stable) whenever we talk about it he just says "You'll be fine" instead of "you are imagining it". So I know he sees it now. I have said "will you still love me if I have to wear a wig?" and he says yes. When I mentioned getting one 2 weeks ago he said "Just dye your hair blonde again".. So I dont feel supported at all.

12. Mirkin

Mirkin Guest

Get a wig so days you feel like hell you can put it on. My bf said the same thing to me. At first it he said I have a ton of hair so dont worry.Now he says I love the wigs ! Its kind of sexy to him. I wore my long one to a hotel and invited him in and need I say more. He got into it just fine. He is ultra conservative but last week he actually went with me to the wig place and had me try on more. I feel better with the wigs on. I still have a lot of hair but its shedding and if it keeps going im in trouble. I want to prepare him for the wig thing. The first day I wore my red one and he couldnt get over it. Then after the hotel he's fine. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to do something.At least go and try some on. It will make you feel better.

13. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

yes, I am planning on going to the place you went to. I just feel alone. I should drag a GF with me...

14. alicat

alicat Guest

would your bf go with you?

15. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Maybe he will......

16. Mirkin

Mirkin Guest

It was easier for my bf to get used to my wig that doesnt look like my hair at all. The red one is close so he freaked out a little. The highlighted one made him feel better. He's weird what can I say. He's a gyn doctor so he sees women naked all day. I would take a gf the first time. My bf would have freaked. I wore a wig once in front of him and then he went. I was afraid seeing to much might cause a melt down :woot:

17. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I will try to drag a GF with me. But none of them suffer with hair loss so its even harder...

18. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Just take a close friend that you know will be honest with you. Take someone that you've talked to about your hair loss. Maybe your roommate?

19. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I live with my BF and his friend (guy). I have told my best friend about it but she hasnt seen me in a month or more.....but ya, she would go with me.....

20. Mirkin

Mirkin Guest

My gf is black so she is used to wigs etc. We had a blast.Shes like a sister to me. After we got done we got drunk lol!