Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair up...or hair down?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kitkatkitkat3, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

:punk: :) AWESOME Mirkin!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

in regards to wearing hair or wigs up or down, the same can be done with headscarves, you can wrap a headscarf in a high turban, a low turban, a gypsy style ponytail in back, or wear the headscarf tied under your chin, or wear the headscarf wrapped from the back and tied in front, etc..

there are so many beautiful ways to wrap your fashionable, sensual, feminine headscarves!

3. ttc

ttc Guest

I know some women color their hair lighter or go blonde to mask the thinning, but for me it would be tooo wierd and I would feel like someone else! I have always had dark brown hair and loved it, so blonde....not an option. Plus, with the wig thing, I want the transition to me minimal and not like "woah...look at me...I'm a redhead now!"....guess I'm just the conservative type. But I don't want to feel like I'm anyone other than me!

4. agasucks ;p

agasucks ;p Guest

i have always dyed my hair dark in the summer (tan and dark hair is hot :) ) and then light in the winter... i know people usually do the opposite but i liked my system. this summer im going to have to keep the highlights ;/ dark shows too much... as for up or down... i usually wear it half up half down with bobby pins....so people cant see how little my ponytail would be. thats my problem with putting it up...my ponytail used to be thick and pretty...now its really thin and frizzy :sobbing:

5. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

agasucks

how recent is your photo??

6. kiara

kiara Guest

Agasucks,
    I love your photo, your eyebrows are to die for.
    You know what, whatever happened to your hair you would still be beautiful because you naturally have a beautiful face. All you need would be a great wig or topper. With that kind of face, I reckon you'd still be pretty even if you were bald !!

7. agasucks ;p

agasucks ;p Guest

BH - let me preface this answer with "this was a good hair day" it was about a month and a half ago....as you can see my head is tilted so you cannot see my part and i now have adopted the "Donald Trump" combover...as i call it. i cant wear my hear parted in the middle... or anywhere offcenter because my part is too big and my bangs separate and are stringy. in this pic my hair is hairsprayed to its last nerve (upside down...to try and add body) and it still lays flat on the top of my head. BUT - like i said this picture is VERY flattering for my hair...i like how in this pic i have hair behind my face (a continuous line to my neck)...usually its separated... idk if you know what imean. i should probly change it to something more realistic of everyday jae hair. but i like it in this one and im trying to be positive so i picked it!!!
    i dont want to be percieved as one of those girls who dont have hair loss and obsess over every strand that comes out... believe me i lose 200 plus a day... ive been diagnosed Androgenetic Alopecia for almost three years now. with all of the anxiety felt over younger girls in this forum i just feel like i have to explain myself!! WHEW...but yeah this picture is fairly recent. its just a good hair one :)

kiara - wow THANK you so much! My mom has such severe Androgenetic Alopecia she wears wigs (shes 46) BUT she has killer eyebrows... i guess i got SOMETHING good from her haha

8. agasucks ;p

agasucks ;p Guest

woof... i need to read before i post. when i say "one of those girls" i dont mean anyone here. but, i do understand the confusion and anxiety of some posters here who feel that some ladies are overreacting from their condition, or they should be happy with what they have, or they dont even sound like they have hairloss because at times i have felt the same way. but then i think about how i felt a year ago and i get over it fairly quickly. nowadays i get comments all of the time from people saying "wow jae i didnt know your hair was so thin"..."jae i always thought my hair was finer than yours...i remember it being finer than yours"... or the absolute WORST "jae you look different lately...maybe its your hair? i loved it when it was really long why dont you grow it out again???". so discouraging.

Androgenetic Alopecia is unfortunately nothing new, and nothing i didnt expect (all of my mothers six sisters have varying degrees of hair loss...my mommy being the undisputed winner).

maybe ill take some part and "poof" (wow i miss being able to poof without the entire top of my head being see-thru) pictures and post them so i can track my PROGRESS (hopefully :) )

9. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same.. when I used to wear it up, I was self conscious about my hair line (see through, especially when sunny and if I used a concealer, you could tell). If I wore my hair down, the back of my part would get me anxious.. or the part itself. So I started wearing hats every day.. no more worries, but hats don't go with everything so it really effected my wardrobe lol. Now I wear it in a pony tail or messy updo, cut my bangs so they start further back, wear them down and swept to the side), fold a bandana into a headband and cover the part my bangs create with it. It's cute! And you can't tell I have hair loss when I wear my hair like that. It's the only way I can leave the house and not give 'show through' a second thought.

10. alicat

alicat Guest

I know what you mean! My hair looks WAY better in pics than in reality. Weird eh? I can almost pass as having semi-normal hair in pics. I would just never bend my head or let the top of my head show in pics. Face on baby~

11. angieangie

angieangie Guest

The flash makes hair look thicker. If there is a space between hair, you don't see it. All my pictures have flash, and they look amazing.

12. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

You can see hair loss in all my pics. Right straight up front and center!

13. agasucks ;p

agasucks ;p Guest

mine in concentrated in front but its actually rather diffuse. bh if youre thinning right in front have you tried a side part to conceal it? it will take awhile to train your hair to part that way but maybe it will serve as a good concealer. you dont use toppik do you?

14. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I could do a side part but it looks funny on me....I dont use toppik cuz you can seee it on my scalp.

15. mom2kormas

mom2kormas Guest

I wear my hair down mostly with it parted in the middle. I've tried the side-part thing, but it just doesn't look right on me and seems to be just as wide as my normal part. Whenever I try to wear my hair in a ponytail, it feels like it's being ripped from my scalp? Does anyone else notice this? I've had to grow out my bangs since the loss got worse and sometimes I will pull some over to one side with a cute barrette, but even after a while, that will make my head sore. So annoying!

Tori,
    I would love to see some pics of your headband-bang do. It sounds really cute and what a relief to not worry about "show through"!

16. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

mee too mom...everything you just said.

17. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Huge relief! I went shopping with my mother the first time I tried it and was constantly bugging her to check and make sure she couldn't see anything lol. I was so afraid to cut my bangs like that, I was scared of less density since it took more hair to create, but I figured I don't leave the house without covering it somehow anyway so nothing to lose and it grows back if I don't like it. I like it much better though and finding or making wide bands is much easier than wearing hats that make me dress down constantly.. I missed being a girl lol. I was going to post a picture of what I meant (from the net), but couldn't find any and I've always been shy with cameras even without hair loss so no pictures of me just yet lol.

18. alicat

alicat Guest

you can see it on my scalp too :( too much to conceal...

19. alicat

alicat Guest

i totally understand and relate to the ponytail/head hurting thing. ugh.

20. Hi girls...
    I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle! I hope you can help!

When this all started I always wore my hair down. It was horrid feeling the hairs coming out all day, but I didnt feel I could wear my hair up, because my normal ponytail style of scraping my hair back straight didn't look good with my big patch at the front.

Anyhow, over the past month, I've either just gotten used to the patch, or it looks slightly better because I started wearing my ponytail - I even came up with a new ponytail with a side part. When I first wore it I got a tonne of compliments from people saying how pretty I looked and how the new style really suited me. The combination of the compliments and the fact that wearing a ponytail means I dont see all the hair coming out, kept me doing the ponytail again and again.

It's now been a month and I've probably only worn my hair down twice in that time - why? I'm scared. When I have it down, the hairs coming out terrify me - it sounds stupid but each one coming out really affects me and its just easier to get on with things if I have it back. Thing is, I know having it loose is good for the hairs as it doesnt put pressure or pull on them. Plus, I cant never have it down again - that's just stupid. But I do feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut now.

Does anyone have any advice?!